Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Given what's going on at the moment, I don't it's something you need to worry about. Every time I ask about .22 ammo, I get a smirk or a shrug or a "Yeah, right" look. Can't say that I'm optimistic of seeing any on the shelves anytime soon, at least not in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
420 Posts
at the local gun show last weekend the best I could find was Winchester HV in old 525 round boxes for $80/box. But there was enough for those that showed up. tried some in my pre war PP and they feed just fine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Holy crap, that's a little over $.15 a round! Three times what I paid. It is nuts when we see such a price swing. I lucked into the case only because I have everybody I know looking for me. It makes me feel better that some places are not galuging prices. I hope it lasts me through the summer. Heck, now I'm thinking I should have got two cases...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't want to rub it in because I know what it is like not to have any ammo. I lucked into another case, so I'm set for the next five months or so of shooting. I never get lucky on anything, but 11,000 rounds in two weeks after chasing 50 round boxes is like hitting the lottery.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I never get lucky on anything, but 11,000 rounds in two weeks after chasing 50 round boxes is like hitting the lottery.
Well, this pretty much sums up why there are still problems finding certain calibers, especially .22LR.

·
Registered
479 Posts
at the local gun show last weekend the best I could find was Winchester HV in old 525 round boxes for $80/box. But there was enough for those that showed up. tried some in my pre war PP and they feed just fine.
That's 4 Xs what I used to pay at Walmart for the same size box!!!! :eek::mad:

When will it get better?:confused:

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
That's 4 Xs what I used to pay at Walmart for the same size box!!!! :eek::mad:

When will it get better?:confused:
Your's is an excellent question that we all want answered. Perhaps it will get better when a majority of the shooters quit acting like there will never be another round of ammo manufactured, when they quit buying 10x what they need in the next six months because they think that if they don't then somebody else will, when they stop patronizing opportunistic price gougers, when they stop listening to conspiracy drones that claim that [insert name of latest boogeyman here] is plotting to take their guns and ammo, etc.? ;)

I try to practice what I preach. I had first choice to buy up to 7,500 rounds of .22 last week from my local vendor, but instead I bought one brick to go with the few hundred rounds that I already had. It is enough for a couple of months of shooting for me, and meanwhile some other folks had an opportunity to enjoy shooting their guns, enjoy teaching their kids and grandkids, etc. Unfortunately, more than one person reading this is shaking their head while thinking how stupid I was to only buy 1/15th of what I could have bought. :p

(Steps down from soapbox.........and heads outside to shoot some .22 and 9mm.)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Before we get too preachy here, keep in mind that I did not directly buy either crate of ammo. I told a couple of friends I was out of ammo and not interested in paying for over priced ammo. Both friends thought they were doing me a favor and separate from each other put money out of their pocket assuming I was good for it. There was no way I was going to leave either one hanging. I never told either to buy a crate, just a couple of 50 round boxes. They both believed they were doing a good thing for a friend by buying a case.

The sad part is that when I told my local range why I was not buying ammo today, they offered to pay me double so they could then charge double that. I told them no way and even latered shared 100 rounds with a young guy and his daughter at no charge when they ran out.

I view this win fall as dumb luck. It is anyone's right to buy or pass on ammo when it is available. I called off my friends and said I was good at this point. The market will change in October when the two new ammo plants go online to meet the demand of all of the new .22's that have been sold in record numbers the last two years.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I no longer worry about .22 LR ammo. Its quite clear to me after owning firearms for over 50 years there is something amiss when after 15 months
the ammo companies, CCI /Federal/Winchester/ Remington, refuse to open and
expand their manufacturing capacity for .22 lr which they would need to double their current capacity to fill the standing orders.

I am also tired of the NRA, which I am a life member, asking me to give more of my hard earned money. I want the ammo and firearm manufactures to open their wallets. They made hundreds of millions off the backs of all of us gun owners. Also the price of ammo, in case you have not noticed, has doubled.

Just yesterday Sportsman's Warehouse in Hillsboro Oregon did not have one box of .22 lr ammo in stock. What does that tell you after 15 months.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Picked up, today, a 525 rd Value Pack box of Federal Champion .22. My LGS got in about 10K rds of it + 5K rds of American Eagle suppressor .22. I doubt that it will last very long. That gives me about 3K rd of .22.

The Federal was $25 for the 525rd box. The 325 rd cans were $20 and the American Eagle 500 rd bricks were $30.

They also got in about 30 boxes of Blazer Brass in .390 for $20 a box. I now have about 800 rd of 380.

We seem to get a better supply of ammo in the Southern end of the valley, than does Portland. ;)

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Everyone seems to be posting what they are purchasing. Any of you guys shooting any of this ammo? I don't see any reports......:) Me...I don't have one and won't until you guys give the all clear signal....but things are looking pretty positive on that front from what is being posted. I've actually seen some pistols on sale around here including the SR22. Things are looking up....except there are no Walther pistols to put on sale. They must still be mad about the Ranger thing. M1911

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I have been shooting the PPQ.22, lately, trying to see what doesn't work in this one.

I shoot up the old and dirty stuff first. I have probably shot up about 4K rounds in.22, 2K in 380, 1k in .32 and 3.5K in 9mm, in the last year.

I would like to have about 5K of each caliber, on hand, in case the world collapses. I doubt that will happen with any of the calibers, except maybe the 9mm. I'll be lucky to have 1K of the .32 and 380.

The scabs are the real PITA. They pick up the .22 and resell them at inflated prices. Then there are the idiots that will pay those prices. Luckily, the stores are limiting the buys to two boxes of 50, one box of 100, or one brick at a time.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Why is there a .22LR shortage ??....A couple of weeks ago I was at the range and a car pulled in with three guys with AR-type rifles equipped with BIG magazines. Each 'wanna' be' AR was chambered for .22LR. Next thing ya' know there's a prolonged flurry of '..rat-a-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat...' and a shower of spent .22LR brass, spent powder smoke and shredded target paper blotting out the sun. In less time than it takes me to wind my watch, they'd shot off more .22LR than most would shoot in a year of regular sessions at the range.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts