Walther Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the 50th anniversary of his breaking the sound barrier by doing it again.... carrying this knife that I engraved for him.

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
Technically speaking we've all broken the sound barrier … and it was done long before Yaeger did it. How so, you ask?

We're all on planet Earth (at least I hope we all are!) … which happens to be moving through space close to 67,000mph as it orbits the sun. This means every creature on this earth is moving close to mach 87 … even while seeming to stand still.

Note:
In the above I failed to account for the rate at which our solar system is orbiting its galactic center, which is about 514,000mph on top of the rate at which we move around the sun. Factoring that in when the earth's orbit is aligned with the solar system's orbit around the galactic center, we all move about mach 757 (rough top speed) based on the aforementioned. Then, of course, there is the speed of the galaxy's rotation around whatever it's rotating around … which is beyond my personal knowledge or ability to compute, but it's likely additive, as well, when the galaxy's rotation, solar system's rotation, and earth's rotation are all aligned in the same direction.

So, all of your other engravings have gone faster than mach speed, as well … and they do it regularly!

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Note:
In the above I failed to account for the rate at which our solar system is orbiting its galactic center, which is about 514,000mph on top of the rate at which we move around the sun.
You also failed to account for the lack of atmosphere in space which ensures that NO SOUND moves through space at all at any speed, hence there IS NO sound barrier in space.

If you wanna be all "well askhully..." bring your A game.

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
Chuck Yeager is my hero. But my uncle 'Billy Ray' breaks the sound barrier on a routine basis. Billy Ray, makes the rounds ... attending most tractor pulls in and around Texas. During a break in the show Billy Ray will demonstrate his ability to perform a 'full pull' with the heaviest sled. In this case an operator is not riding on the sled...its simply set to the heaviest (load fully forward) right from the get-go. The first time Billy Ray tried this, an operator WAS riding o the sled, however the tremendous blast coming out of Billy Ray's errr, urrr..... well, it set the guys beard and clothes on fire....poor guy bailed off the sled and onlookers ran to his aid, pouring cold beer on him to put out the flames. Guy survived, with minimal damage.....however, he did look kinda funny with no hair, beard or eyebrows.

When Billy Ray isn't at the tractor pulls, he'll drop by Bonneville Salt Flats to make a few speed runs. With enough bean burritos and cold beer, he can easily break the sound barrier. He does this on roller skates. It goes without saying, stopping is a 8itch. He can't afford a drag chute so he's developed this technique 'tuck and roll'....after about a 1/2 mile, the dust (salt) settles and Billy Ray stands up, and calls uber for a ride back to the starting line.

Billy Ray, my other hero. Here he is letting go with a little 'test' blast prior to hooking up to the sled.

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
You also failed to account for the lack of atmosphere in space which ensures that NO SOUND moves through space at all at any speed, hence there IS NO sound barrier in space.

If you wanna be all "well askhully..." bring your A game.
Sir, the speed of sound is a defined speed relative to a given pressure. The lack of atmospheric pressure would only cause the mph required for 'mach' speed to be higher in terms of mph. (i.e. The capability to transmit sound doesn't have to be present to be able to exceed the speed of sound if it could travel.)

This is, of course, why I gave approximate mach values rather than absolute ones. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,694 Posts
All things considered, it is probably a good idea to keep the east facing windows closed, avoiding stardust on the dining room table....:rolleyes:
Moon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.