Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again all,

I just purchased a new Stainless Fort Smith PPK/S (so begins the 3 day waiting period :rolleyes:) so naturally the next step is to purchase some ammo for it. Do any of you 2019 owners have any tips on what brand/ bullet shape either to buy or not to buy? I was hoping to skip the ammo trial period with my new 380.

For example, it took me a few purchases to realize my Umarex PPK/S .22 did not like Winchester Super X or Aguila, and that it did love Remington Golden Bullets. (I still don't regret purchasing my .22lr, it's a great gun!)

I lurk more than I post so I do realize not all of you will be happy with my most recent purchase, but please note that as soon as I find a reasonably priced .32 PPK it will be mine! I first wanted a daily driver though, not a garage queen!

Thanks,
JamesBondJr

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have to say that I have always been a staunch supporter of hollow points but I have to say I have thought long and hard about this issue in the 380. From everything I have researched and found shows that the HP's in 380 are iffy at best and if they expand they don't penetrate enough. Yes, I know "Shooting the Bull" has done testing and found the XTP bullets just barely make the 12 inch holly grail depth, which is marginal at best. Look at those bullets their pathetic in size and their wound track is no bigger than FMJ bullets. The point is and I'm am very much aware placement and penetration are really the key to success. I use FMJ's in my 32 acp for this very reason and by the looks of the results of 380's, I am using FMJ's now. I want that bullet to punch through and hit those vitals and go deep into the spine and FMJ's will do just that. Dr. Martin Fackler clearly stated that over penetration may get you sued but under penetration will get you killed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I tried a variety of ammunition and the gun has no problems feeding FMJ or hollow points. FMJ will give you good penetration but some people,prefer hollow points. I like the Speer LE Gold Dot 90 grain GDHP. It seems to give pretty good velocity, over 950 FPS and some of the you tube videos show expansion in gel. Do some research.

·
Registered
345 Posts
My PPK/S’s have, so far, ate everything I’ve thrown at them.
And, as an aside, 10-12 inches for a .380 JHP is just fine IMHO.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Like cocojo, I used to be a big supporter of HP's for the .380 but with the various studies and tests that have come out showing HP's to be marginal, at best, I am now using FMJ's in my PPK/S. As far as brand is concerned, I would use whatever reputable brand that appeals to you.

If you are comfortable shooting hot loads in your .380, check out Underwood or Buffalo Bore.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone! Considering this will mainly be a range toy, I'd imagine I'll use FMJs most of the time. I'll probably also try Hornady Critical Defense rounds too just in case I feel like giving my EC9s a day off from carry duty.

Does anyone know if the 2019 PPK/S tends to prefer round nose or flat nose FMJ?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Thanks everyone! Considering this will mainly be a range toy, I'd imagine I'll use FMJs most of the time. I'll probably also try Hornady Critical Defense rounds too just in case I feel like giving my EC9s a day off from carry duty.

Not sure on the 2019 but my S&W PPK/s doesn't like round nose, for the range I've used white box Winchester and it's cycled very reliably.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
My S&W PPK/S has fed everything I've ever loaded into the magazine without fail, but then again, since the first few types of ammo I tested in it performed flawlessly, I just kept on buying it and never bothered with anything else.

Speer Lawman 90gr FMJ (Round Nose)
Remington UMC 95gr FMJ (Round Nose)
Hornady American Gunner 90gr XTP JHP (Conical)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JamesBondJr: What comes in the box? Is there a test target or a fired cartridge?
Instructions, Chamber Flag, Lock, and an extra magazine. There is no test target or fired cartridge.

I picked it up yesterday, and I cannot stress how much I love this gun. It is beautifully made. Ignore all the haters, this gun is absolutely wonderful. :D

Attachments

Reactions: spin40

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
The fired cartridge is no longer required; it was a damnfool law in Maryland; the casings were for a 'library' to compare to crime scene casings. Cost a ton of money, never caught anyone, and it was finally abandoned.
Moon

·
Registered
21 Posts

My two cents is you should use the same rounds in EDC as you do at the range. Also I've never heard anyone complain of round nosed ammo being a problem on any firearm.

If the forum doesn't have a specific answer do the testing and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The fired cartridge is no longer required; it was a damnfool law in Maryland; the casings were for a 'library' to compare to crime scene casings. Cost a ton of money, never caught anyone, and it was finally abandoned.
Moon
That's an interesting story! I didn't know that.
My two cents is you should use the same rounds in EDC as you do at the range. Also I've never heard anyone complain of round nosed ammo being a problem on any firearm.

If the forum doesn't have a specific answer do the testing and let us know how it goes.
I bought a box of Winchester Target FMJ that hopefully I'll be able to try this week and I'll report back.

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
My two cents is you should use the same rounds in EDC as you do at the range. Also I've never heard anyone complain of round nosed ammo being a problem on any firearm....
An admirable enough idea, but an expensive one. A more prudent course of action is to test hop enough of your carry ammo to be sure of function (100 rounds is an acceptable standard, particularly with guns that are uncertain eaters). After that, do most of your practice with (much) less expensive ball.
The truncated cone FMJ can be problematic in some guns, and not all round nose ball is loaded to the same standard. Find a brand that works, and stick with it.
The new Walthers may well be less persnickety than the older ones. Maybe.
Moon

Reactions: JamesBondJr

·
Registered
17 Posts
I purchased a new blued Ft. Smith PPK/S last week. I've put about 200 rounds through it so far. I've run Remington 95gr. FMJ, Federal 95gr. FMJ, Winchester 95gr. FMJ and Federal 90gr. Hydra-Shok all with no malfunctions of any kind. My preferred carry ammo will be the Hydra-Shok. I previously owned an Interarms PPK that was very finicky with JHP ammo but I had an armorer smooth the dreaded two-stage feed ramp which took care of that problem. This PPK/S has no such issue.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's great news, Kevin1971. I'm going to run about 150-200 rounds tomorrow for the first time.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts