Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 2005 catalog today and to back up what Extremist said in his Shot Show report, it does indeed look like Walther will only sell QA versions from now on.

In the full P99 section they show a picture of the new Sand Tan P99. It looks pretty good. I think the one shown in the catalog is just a photoshop rendition of what it might look like. I'll have to wait to see the real thing before I'm really sure if it will look good.

The full size pages make no mention of AS or DAO triggers. Only QA trigger. The compact page does mention the AS, QA and DAO triggers, however only a QA version is pictured.

Also of curious note, the magazine capacity they list for 9mm is 15 rounds and 12 rounds for .40 S&W. I was under the impression that the .40 was going to be 11 rounds. Maybe not.

The rest of the catalog looks just like last years catalog. I don't think they put much time into this.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I was at the SHOT Show.  They had a P99 with the Sand Tan frame in the case.  It looked a little light in color but it was fine.  I wasn't sure if it was a mock-up or not.  It had some wear, but that might have been from it being handled.  Additionally, the decocker was a little different than what we are used to.  It was like the ones on the standard / AS model except that it wasn't as wide and had a little "strip" going part way across the top of the slide.  Also the serial number began with an X and was on some sort of chrome tag at the back of the slide.

I glanced through the catalog and it seems to be a cut and paste job from last year's catalog.  It has the same error in the "Technology and Equipment" section where the pictures of the gun's features and the descriptions / explanations are reveresed for the equipment rail and slide serrations.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see the Titanium finish model listed or at the show.  Possibly that variant is also gone.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The smaller decocker means that it is a QA version. Also, the Titanium Coated finish is no longer available. It was discovered that it had about the same corrosion resistance as standard blueing, meaning that the standard (black) finish is the better finish. For those who want a silver slide, your best option is hard chrome.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (lunde @ Feb. 03 2005,8:42)]The smaller decocker means that it is a QA version.
I have the QA version. I know what its decocker looks like.  The one I saw on the tan model in the case was different than standard one on the QA.  It was about as long as the one on the standard model but not as wide and it had that weird metal tab / strip.

My comment regarding it wasn't the action of the gun, but more to whether it was a prototype or mockup of some sort.  -That's all.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
No more titaniums? Well, I suppose I should be happy that I picked mine up when I did.

·
Registered
108 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (P88 @ Feb. 02 2005,10:43)]I got my 2005 catalog today and to back up what Extremist said in his Shot Show report, it does indeed look like Walther will only sell QA versions from now on.
So, do you mean that Walther stopped making the AS altogether, or they are just not importing them into the US anymore? I hope that's not the case, I wanted a P99C AS to match my full sized P99.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you want a P99 AS or P99c AS, I suggest getting it sooner rather than later.

I have a theory. While Walther America will import only the QA versions starting this year, my guess is that Earl's Repair Service may become the sole/exclusive importer for the AS versions. Keep in mind that the price point is a couple hundred more than those currently being sold by Walther America, making one seriously look at other comparable offerings, such as tyhe HK P2000.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I sure hope the Walther website isn't indicative of their customer service. After the talk about the 2005 catalog, I went online to see if I could download one. I got my hopes up when I found the link that said "Click here for online PDF version" -- until I did and found it was the 2003 catalog! Yikes!

I know that somethings change quickly, but how hard would it be to keep the corporate site up to date?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You'd think that with the US market as large as it is, they'd at least keep the site up to date. It costs almost nothing. I don't understand it. I think the Walther site is the poorest of all of the major firearm manufacturers.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[b said:
Quote[/b] (MLB @ Feb. 16 2005,2:35)]You'd think that with the US market as large as it is, they'd at least keep the site up to date.  It costs almost nothing.  I don't understand it.  I think the Walther site is the poorest of all of the major firearm manufacturers.
The problem is that Walther's importer is also one of their biggest competitors. Notice that S&W's web site is always up to date.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts