Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in purchasing a 2005 .40 S&W P99 with the extended mag release levers but have several questions.

1. Would it have a chrome lined barrel?
2. Is an "AS" trigger system still available?
(QA trigger system not prefered)
3. Would it have improved magazine floor plates?
(Reference prior posts regarding "Broken Clips")

These are fairly basic questions but unfortunately there is little info out there on the newer models.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well, to tell you the truth, I really don't like P99s but, I'll tell you what I know. I would asume that your would know all of those things that you asked if you just asked walther america.com. Simple.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'll try to answer:

1. Never heard of one coming with a chrome lined barrel. Not many pistols do.

2. Not many AS triggers out there anymore. Try Earl's Repair service if you can't find one elsewhere.

3. Yes, magazine floor plates are good to go again.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Canada you say.....You may still be able to get the AS trigger up there. Who imports Walther's to Canada?

S&W supposedly stopped importing the AS to the States.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure who the exact importers are. It's probably a good idea to find this out and snif around a bit more. There's plenty of P99 available on the local dealers websites though.

Do any P99 have chrome lined barrels? I've got a Beretta 96 that's got plenty of chrome in the launch tube...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a P99 AS (Anti Stress) in .40 S&W. I asked the shop about the different actions and I was told that the AS is the same action as the standard P99.

I am not sure about the chrome barrel, it doesn't look shiny chrome to me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The other fellas have answered your questions, but I'll try to go into a bit more detail.

1) I've also never heard of a chrome-lined P99 barrel. What I have heard is that the rifling is some sort of high speed octagonal doohicky. I've only seen that referenced (offhand) on one website, but when I compare my Walther barrel to my Taurus barrel, I can tell something's different.

2) I've not seen an '05 AS at all. There are still some NIB AS models floating around, but all of them I've seen were date-coded '04 or earlier. *However* there have been a couple of reports of '05 AS models NIB at gunshops. By a couple, I mean literally 2, neither of which I saw for myself. Likewise, I've heard a couple of reports of '05 QA's with ambi slide releases seen in gunshops. However, if you're looking for it you probably won't find it. These seem to be "oops" circumstances.

3) The mag floor plates (am I the only one who calls them buttplates?) should be fine. Though there were quite a few people who had the problem, I think they all stemmed from '04 models with Clinton-ban 10 round mags. Has anyone heard of a 12 round mag having the problem? Regardless, my best buddy not only got replacement plates PLUS 2 free 12 round mags, he got an additional 2 hicap mags from S&W when he called about the problem. Hmph, makes me feel the odd man out with my 2.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts