Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to say I think the 2004 is dog ugly. Are the 2003 and previous models all the same design? I really like the non 2004 model and I am going to gun show this weekend to purchase a P99 (P990 or P99 QA remains to be seen). Are there still pleanty of the good looking 2003 models out there? Just curious if any of you would know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just ordered a p99 from my dealer, and don't know if its a 2004 or earlier. How long have the new ones been out, long enough that distributers' stock would be out? I'm not even sure I know what the real differences are, can someone post a side by side pic so we can see what changed? I've looked around at different pics, but they all look the same to me.

schiesz

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
The 2004 models are not out yet, word is later this year (3Q2004). The pictures of the new models are on my website.

Regards,
James

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you like the 2003 check out the 2001 (AB) models.
I find the AB's to have a smoother almost satiny finish and the trigger is very smooth from the box. I have examined an AD model and the trigger was pretty good. The AC (2002) models that I've seen tend to have a grittier finish and rougher trigger. It does smooth out in the end but takes a lot of pulls to do so.

I prefer the Classic lines of the P99. A standard rail is nice but the other changes to the P99 are atrocious in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I'm actually starting to like the new looks of the P99. The more I look at them, the more I'm starting to like it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I could learn to live with everything except the outward curved trigger guard. In my opinion, that one single thing completely ruins the lines of the P99. The profile of the weapon has been completely changed by that one thing. I sure hope the new slides fit the old frames if I ever have to get a new one

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm a newbie thinking hard about getting a P99... and I found out about the new model from James website (thanks James, your site is awesome !! Better than Walthers, which is sad I guess.)

Anyway, I was trying to catch all the differences.. are they mainly cosmetic ? Any internal ? Has Walther released any info on the web about this ?

What I see:
* Altered trigger guard which seems to upset eveyrone... I guess it does look more 'traditional'... sort of USP-ish... not sure what I think yet.
* Full height slide serrations, that's good right ?
* Modified front rail... with the notch, I guess that serves a purpose for some accessories ?
* The grip still looks the same (which is good)...

What else ? Is it really that bad ? Should I run out and get an old school one before 3Q2004 ?? Hmm...

I'm more worried about the AWB sunsetting so I can run out and get one of these with 16 round mags...

·
Registered
18 Posts
The 2004 models are ugly!
They broke the clean lines. It looks more like a Buck Rodgers ray gun.

I'll have to get a 2003 9mm in the black and the military version. I'm staying away from the new ones. I also think it will affect sales.

I have a 2003 (I think) in 9mm with the titanium slide although it's still at the gun shop as I haven't gotten my tax refund yet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I like the look of the 2004 P99s. ...and think the older P99s look more like ray-guns than the current rendition. The trigger guard should solve the finger irritation problem so many complain about. The added grasping grooves on the slide is welcome! ...so to is the Picatinny rail.

...improved.

Tim

·
Registered
124 Posts
I definitely think the new design has taken a turn for the ugly.  I don't like it.  I can accept that some will find the new slide serrations and accessory rail as more functional, but these are changes that don't make the gun any more functional for me.  If they wanted to do this, they should've realeased a separate "Extreme Tactical" line and let the S.O.F. wannabes buy it. -Seriously, how many people actually use the accessory rail at all?  I know and have worked with LEO's, hardly any of them use accessory rails unless they're part of a special duty unit.  

The proposed rounding of the triggerguard is a deal breaker for me.  If I wanted that, I'll buy the SW99.  -The finger irritation I have heard of comes from people rubbing against the excess plastic ridge left at the mold seam, on the triggerguard's bottom.  (Glocks have the same problem.)  I don't think rounding the triggerguard is going to be of any use for that problem since the seam will still exist.  Any person who has a problem with it should get some fine grade modeler's sandpaper to take care of it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BreakerMorant @ April 19 2004,2:35)]I definitely think the new design has taken a turn for the ugly.  I don't like it.  I can accept that some will find the new slide serrations and accessory rail as more functional, but these are changes that don't make the gun any more functional for me.  If they wanted to do this, they should've realeased a separate "Extreme Tactical" line and let the S.O.F. wannabes buy it. -Seriously, how many people actually use the accessory rail at all?  I know and have worked with LEO's, hardly any of them use accessory rails unless they're part of a special duty unit.  

The proposed rounding of the triggerguard is a deal breaker for me.  If I wanted that, I'll buy the SW99.  -The finger irritation I have heard of comes from people rubbing against the excess plastic ridge left at the mold seam, on the triggerguard's bottom.  (Glocks have the same problem.)  I don't think rounding the triggerguard is going to be of any use for that problem since the seam will still exist.  Any person who has a problem with it should get some fine grade modeler's sandpaper to take care of it.
Ditto!

·
Registered
69 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ni3Frontier @ April 19 2004,8:42)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (DarthSkeeter @ April 19 2004,8:12)]Serrations on the front of the slide !?!?!
!? You'll shoot your finger off kid !!!!!!
What do you mean?
Guys doin' a check for a round in the chamber by pulling forward on the front of the slide from underneath... and if they inadvertantly get their finger in front of barrel... yadda yadda... kapow. (I think I read of this happening a time or too.. I think Ayoob was discussing it as poor technique and giving examples)

Yeah, chances are slim... but really, see no need for serrations on the front... don't help to break the P99 down (i.e. not needed) and if you care where your muzzle is pointing, then "side racking" the pistol and putting those front serrations to use isn't so great (i.e. pistol is point at your arm or the guy next to you).

Of course, I guess some peope just like the look of them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The cosmetic differences don't bother me, though I do prefer the older look.

Bad decision to change the rail to anything other than the industry "standard" IMO.

·
Registered
263 Posts
DarthSkeeter,
 Thanks for the explanation.  I agree completely that this act is not necessary - especially on a pistol with a loaded chamber indicator.  It's there for a reason and I dont think it will ever lie to you.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have 2, all-German "AB" date-coded P99s. Actually, if I could change anything, I prefer the completely rounded front of the SW99's triggerguard. I have been shooting a looooong time, but I just never could feel comfortable hooking my index finger in that position. Please don't misunderstand, I would NEVER trade my P99s for SW99s...I just like rounded triggerguards better on all my handguns.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was at the gun shop today filling out the rest of the paperwork on my P99 and was given a 2004 Walther catalog.
the new P99s don't look too bad after all now that I've got to see
very clear and large photographs of them. They don't have them in stock yet though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts