Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a guy in the Walther Club over on Glock Talk who's preaching to everybody he can find about the "trigger bite" on his son's 2003 P99AS .40 S&W. He claims that everybody who shoots it gets their finger pinched ("bit") between the rear of the trigger and the frame. He says it happens even when you have just the pad of your finger on the trigger.

Now, I tried to recreate that with my 2004 P99 and I couldn't make it happen. The 2004 trigger still goes all the way back to the frame -- but I just can't see how you can get your finger caught in there.

I've noted lots of support (and nostalgia!) for the 2003 and earlier models. Is this something you guys have experienced? Or does this guy have a funky gun?

He's jumping on just about every thread over there, knocking Walther America (because they won't fix the problem) and the Walther P99 in general. I would have thought that I'd have heard more about it in here if it was really a problem. I'd like to be able to tell him to quit whining....

Any feedback?

Thanks!
Jim

·
Registered
93 Posts
My finger allways gets bit when i stick it someplace it shouldn't be! He is blaming the gun for his finger placement. i tried to help and do him a favor, but he said he had another option.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Took out my P99 to figure out just how the trigger would bite there....  I don't know that I understand how one would catch one's finger there unless one don't know how to properly actuate the trigger...

When I first saw this thread, I though it was in reference to the trigger guard "hump" doing the biting.  Heh...

-stunks

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[b said:
Quote[/b] (DTQ @ Mar. 31 2005,5:02)]My finger allways gets bit when i stick it someplace it shouldn't be! He is blaming the gun for his finger placement. i tried to help and do him a favor, but he said he had another option.
I saw your "generous offer"...somehow I think your sarcasm was lost on the guy!

Seriously, I just can't figure out what's happening. He claims that he, his son and his wife all shot the gun and it happened to all three of them. It's bizarre..but it's equally annoying to listen to him tell everybody how bad Walther is based on his one experience.

I guess the good news is that if his son sells the gun, he'll go away!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I"ve seen it happen, not on Walther, but on Sig P226, it happens with "short" trigger, which is thinner than standard trigger, and when pulled, moves really back to the frame. sometimes if shooter has fleshy fingers, this extended movement can catch finger skin in that area. It's not unheard of in Sig with the short trigger, but I have never heard of it happening with Walther. Personally I dont have any problems with Walther P99 from 2003. The trigger setup has not changed over the years.

·
Registered
471 Posts
My P99's stings the bottom of my trigger finger with heavier loads, havent figured out why yet. I'm kind of thinking it might be that little roll at the end of the trigger. The 2004 model does it to me too... It could be the way I place my finger on the trigger. My Sigs don't do it to me. I sure would not cal it a bite though. Now the H&K of a friend of mine bites, I can hardly shoot it...
It bothers me so bad, that I now own 3 P99's.

(I'd own more if I could afford them!)

·
Registered
45 Posts
The trigger finger bite is most likely caused by the magazine release.  There is usually a small ridge of sharp plastic on the inside of each side of the ambidextrous magazine release, nearest to the trigger.  On a right handed shooter, the ridge on the left side of the magazine release (the same side as the slide release) will impact the distal section of the trigger finger at the moment of firing.  Some careful filing and smoothing of this area will relieve this problem without negatively affecting the appearance of the mag release.  I've done this to my three P99's and it solved the problem.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BJG, I'll pass that along...although the guy is adamant that all three of them are having the flesh of the trigger finger pinched between the rear of the trigger and the back of the trigger guard/frame. I'm more inclined to go with your explanation...makes sense to me.

Thanks!
Jim

·
Registered
471 Posts
Funny you should mention that BJG, I thought the same thing and did smooth off the sharp edge on the mag release. That wasnt it... Although admittedly it did help some... Either I'm holding it wrong, the curve of the trigger is too much, or as I am suspecting, the little lip on the bottom of the trigger is the culprit... Great point however, because every ones hold is different and this could be a solution for them, as it was for you...

I dont want to make it should like its a big problem, its only after 100 rounds or so with heavier loads that it shows up... If I could figure it out, this pistol would be very close to being perfect, and thats just not possible. right?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've never had any problem...but both my neighbor and my son said their trigger finger "hurt" after shooting my P99 -- and I was just using WWB from Wally World. They didn't describe it as a "bite", but more of a soreness after shooting a few mags worth of ammo. I've never noticed a thing...I'll have to watch my son next time he shoots and see if I can detect anything.

Jim

·
Registered
17 Posts
The only trigger bite that I feel is from either side of the trigger itself, not from rearward movement, or complete trigget pull. I think I will file the sides of my trigger slightly. Just my personal observation. I've got a 2004 (AD coded) p99 in .40, but I do not experience the bite that you speak of with regards to getting pinched by part of my finger sliding between the botom of the trigger, and trigger gaurd assembly. I second the opinion that this guy is blaming finger placement for his own ignorance in knowing how to properly draw on the trigger. And, with that assumption goes the assumption that he has trained his wife and son how to shoot as well, so they are probably all doing the same thing because they learned from him. Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[b said:
Quote[/b] (40CalGuy @ Mar. 31 2005,10:06)] I've got a 2004 (AD coded) p99 in .40, but I do not experience the bite that you speak of with regards to getting pinched by part of my finger sliding between the botom of the trigger, and trigger gaurd assembly.  
Uh...."AD" is the date code for 2003, not 2004.

Just to close out this thread, BJG was 100% right. The other guy realized that he had a slight burr above the mag release that was causing the problem -- not a design flaw.

Thanks to everyone who contributed!
Jim

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, I realized my mistake. The AD code is 2003, not 2004. Admittedly...I am somewhat of a tard sometimes. Sorry. Not trying to mis-inform everyone that just getting into the P99, like myself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts