Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. What's the correct method to clear a stovepipe? I was taught reach over with the left hand, clear by swiping backwards with the fingers. You can also pull the slide back at the same time, if you have enough practice.
2. Misfire. I have always been told wait 30 seconds then eject the round )( tap rack ). But I have never been clear-what do you do with the misfire round? just throw them on the ground? That seems sort of dangerous.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Never had a stove pipe in either my Walther or my Sig's... In other firearms, I just turn the pistol sideways (always keeping it pointed down range), put my left hand over the stove pipe and shuck the slide, retaining the cartridge , as I recall...

Because I use "trash" brass to reload, some primers are not set to an optimum depth. Most of the time a simple "second strike" will cause them to fire... So, I'd recommend the SS first, then if that doesn't make it go bang, wait a tad, then clear the cartridge, keeping it captive so it can be analyzed for it's failure to fire and to be disposed of in the "proper" manor...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
You will hear this from others too but the only thing I would say about a stove pipe is “do not” cover the cartridge with your off hand when racking the slide. Cases have been known to occur when the extractor or even lip on the frame have discharged the round. Merely point the muzzle in a safe direction and rack the slide from the rear and allow the cartridge to fall to the ground.

As per “dead” round it all depends upon your range. Mine have small bullet traps mounted on the side of the bay so if this occurs I merely eject the round into the trap and later discard it in a safe place or give it to a range officer. Mostly however, I will take it home, disassemble the round, discard the brass and reuse powder and lead.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To clear a "stovepipe": Tap the bottom of the magazine, to assure that it's seated. A magazine that is not fully seated could be the cause of the stovepipe; Rack/flip: Rack the slide back and release while "flipping" the weapon so that the ejector port is facing down, this should cause the cartridge to be ejected.

·
Registered
83 Posts
are you talking about a stovepipe of a spent case or a fresh round?

frye

1 - 6 of 6 Posts