Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always wanted a yaqui for anything I've ever carried but they always seemed harder to find than some. Well I finally got a Gould and Goodrich today for $60 shipped and I love it! Rides high and close so it's like carrying iwb (untucked) without having to think about whether those Levi's we've all considered retiring because they keeping shrinking are still in the game. Viva Tennessee for open carry though!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Is the part that the gun slides into rigid or soft (collapsible)?

I have a DeSantis Yaqui Slide which is rigid with tension screws like the OP's G&G. The original Yaqui Slide brought to the USA by Col. Jeff Cooper had no tensioning screw and some are still manufactured with that design today.

The Yaqui Slide is a good choice when you have a variety of pistols and don't want to buy holsters for each. The Yaqui works for most semi-autos.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its definately a "holster" opposed to a piece of leather where the firearm rides against the belt (like my biancci slide for $16 has served me well). Minimal in weight, material and slim by design. After a week ive carried it im thrilled about my decision, but thats me and what i wanted 👍

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Some food for thought for anyone that's never really done a deep dive into all aspects of holster attributes:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Always wanted a yaqui for anything I've ever carried but they always seemed harder to find than some. Well I finally got a Gould and Goodrich today for $60 shipped and I love it! Rides high and close so it's like carrying iwb (untucked) without having to think about whether those Levi's we've all considered retiring because they keeping shrinking are still in the game. Viva Tennessee for open carry though!!!
I used to carry 1911s in Yaqui slides, one day sitting in a wood chair in a Restaurant the barrel hit the chair and gun pop out haft way, the barrel on the 1911 protrudes out of the Yaqui Slide more than on the PPS, but be aware.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It’s always interesting to see what holsters everyone carries with, to give us some ideas. I’d never use that kind of holster for my ccw but I could see it being useful walking around in the woods or on a hike.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It’s always interesting to see what holsters everyone carries with, to give us some ideas. I’d never use that kind of holster for my ccw but I could see it being useful walking around in the woods or on a hike.
I'd never carry a gun into the woods that a branch or twig could catch on and unholster my gun.

·
Super Moderator
3,878 Posts
From both a safety and a protective (of gun finish) stance, I prefer OWB holsters that cover the trigger, trigger guard, and muzzle - completely. Sure, it's a carry gun, so it's going to show holster wear, but I don't need my pistol's muzzle getting dinged-up or its front sight knocked around by things making unnecessary contact with the business end of the gun.

I carry in an ordered-to-taste OWB holster (with matching spare mag carrier) fashioned by Hopp Custom Leather. Having it made was a commitment that was (and still is) worth every Benjamin I paid, as I've had the set for years and it still looks new -- while inducing far less holster wear on my PPS than a kydex or polymer holster would.

The wait time kinda sucked (it always does with custom leather work), but good things come to those who wait, right? The cost was on par with other quality custom leather shops (I shopped around), so no big deal, there. When I spoke of commitment, it was less about cost and more about the fact that at this price point one obviously needs to stick to a particular carry gun instead of switching guns. (i.e. One probably needs to be sure one wants to carry a particular pistol reliably … for years … before going the custom holster route.)

Surreal

P.S. Back in 2010-2011, when my usual vocation required me to dress business casual all day, I carried using an IWB Crossbreed Supertuck. In 2012 my job changed such that I was able to dress around the gun … and often open carry ... so I went OWB for open carry deterrent value as well as for comfort. I do, however, use cover garments when going to population-dense areas, not because I feel the need to conceal, but because I respect LEOs enough to not have their time wasted responding to calls from anti-gunners or lay people who might dial 911 because they mistakenly perceive a holstered firearm as a threat. (Obviously I live in a place where open carry is permitted.)

·
Registered
233 Posts
In the woods, try to have a holster with an strap on, you might walk into uneven terrain and take a fall, many years ago we were hunting in an full track vehicle going about 15-20 MPH in the Florida Everglades all the sudden we hit a tree stump the back of the vehicle went up in the air a good distance, I saw something black going by my head, it was one of the guys ridding in the back model 19, we look and look for about an hour and never found it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts