Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally went and did it last month. Having more time than money enables one to read and handle alot before locking in. A half dozen made the short list but the PPQ just fit like a glove.

I've been so excited about this I'm posting before shooting my first round, which will happen Monday. Maybe that's poor form, but I don't care. Looking for associated gear - holsters, belts, mag pouches and general knowledge - has repeatedly led me here. I appreciate the aggregated knowledge and experience of the members on this site.

Looking forward to learning.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
Welcome!
Reading sure helps but shooting changes everything...:)

As it seems you are new to handguns I'd suggest you hold off on some of those accessories and invest in lessons from a qualified instructor first.

You'll find this is the best money you'll ever spend. You'll get your fundamentals down before you have a chance to develop bad habits.

Again welcome to the Forums and enjoy your time here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As it seems you are new to handguns I'd suggest you hold off on some of those accessories and invest in lessons from a qualified instructor first.
First example of why I registered here. Excellent advice.

While I'm not a total handgun virgin - have shot many a friend's platforms - I am by no means accomplished.

Been looking for a class that will help develop fundamentals and satisfy CC requirements for WI.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Welcome and just keep shooting often so you will know your pistol well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Welcome from coastal North Carolina.

I agree that time spent with a good instructor who will correct any basic shooting skills or bad habits while enhancing your skills level will pay huge rewards.

I like leather gear and recommend you look at Lobo Gun Leather, Kramer Leather, or TT Gun Leather. Lobo is near you in Ely, MN.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, she's now broke in....

The wife and a friend were able to make to a local indoor range yesterday and get about 200 rounds through it. This is one nice shooter. I shot it better than I've shot other friends guns.

Went through about 150 115 ball and 50 or so of a few different flavors of HD rounds we're considering (124 gr various bullet types, JHP, BJHP, HST). We weren't tracking data, that will come later. Just getting time in and getting used to it.

And boy was it easy to get used to. The wife would have like to have done better but she still did ok. We are both going to get much more practice but are very happy so far.

Of course, zero malfunctions.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Great idea taking the wife with you. When or if she gets the shooting virus you will be one happy hubby. Won't have to beg as much for a new toy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first handgun. If your wife plans to CC a handgun make sure she picks a pistol she feels comfortable shooting. My wife has her own handgun collection of range, target and CC pistols and revolvers. Additionally, she has her own plinking, target and defensive ammunition. She does not like 115gr 9x19mm (weak-charge) or smokie (low-grade powder). It is always nice to meet someone from Wisconsin.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first handgun. If your wife plans to CC a handgun make sure she picks a pistol she feels comfortable shooting. It is always nice to meet someone from Wisconsin.
She says for now at least she's going to leave the CC duties to me. Any recommendations on a good class? The Deerfield range has a well known 6 hour class that includes a range component - which I prefer as I'd like some professional instruction instead of just sitting in a classroom.

Nice to meet someone from the area. We are in Milwaukee often visiting our daughter and the grand kids.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts