·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into getting a conceal carry gun and I am considering these:
Walther PK380
Walther CCP M2
Walther PPS M2
I am new to handguns (not guns, I have had a couple of carbines for years) so all of this is new territory for me.
But having just had a handgun for a month I can field strip it, clean, lube and upgrade it. I have learned the ways around both of my big 9's (Taurus G3 and a Hi-Point c9).
I am a woman, I have the 2 full-size 9's but have chunky hands. With that said I would prefer something that has less recoil than my G3, and have a good grip (long and a little wide) but yet as small (but not micro/pocket size) as possible for conceal carry, and having a manual safety would be nice.
But would like to get y'alls thoughts and opinions on the handguns listed above- pro's, con's, the good, the bad and the ugly.

I really wish there was somewhere around here where I could rent.There's only one gun range close and it just a public access gun range with no operators/employee's.

The CCP M2 (either 9 or 380)- I am still looking into it. But seems like it might have issues as well.
The PK380- I'm digging deeper on this one, seems like either people love it and have no issues with it at all or hate it and have a lot FTE's and other issues.
The PPS M2- I am still considering. I have seen this one around for sale. And I believe (it's been a couple of months now & I was really new to handguns & wasn't quite sure what I was looking at) I held a Walther PPS (I think it was an M1) at a pawn shop and I really liked the feel of the gun in my hand. If the snap/recoil is at least half of what my G3 is I'd definitely get one of these.

I also looked into the PPQ SC as well, it's really nice but it is definitely the hardest one to find, I do like that it has a mag extension that can make it a full size pistol but the grip looks really small without that. If I didn't have a full size 9 already I'd probably consider it more. The small looking grip otherwise looks too small for me.

I have watched so many video's over the past few days on all of these. And I wish there were video's of novice shooters trying out different guns, just someone who wasn't super familiar with them and showed true recoil for them all.
A good example is that I had always wanted a 20 gauge, I got one. And found a video of a woman that had bought the same shotgun. She made a wonderful video of her shooting it for the 1st time.
I got to see the issues she had with it- she didn't like the kick and she had problems loading up the mag tube and the kick in the video did look rough on her.
I went out and shot my 20 gauge for the 1st time after watching that video and had none of her issues, as a matter of fact I loved it. It was my favorite shooter that I drug out back that day. But at least I knew what to possibly expect.

I am not opposed to other manufacturers, but I did hold that 1 Walther PPS a couple months back and really liked how it felt so I guess that's why I am here asking about Walther guns.

I appreciate any help, tips, or anything.
Thank you

·
Registered
347 Posts
I can only say that my wife absolutely loves her CCP M2 .380. With the piston system, she thinks that the recoil is so soft that it feels closer to a .25 caliber than a .380ACP

·
Banned
594 Posts
Although this is a Walther forum, I do not recommend any of the three Walther pistols you have listed, but the H&K P30sk, reading your wishes for a new concealed carry pistol.
This pistol has exactly the size and the grip properties you want, because the various interchangeable back and grip side parts make it easier to adapt to your hand than any of the three Walther models mentioned.
In addition, the P30sk is available in a version with a decocker or even with a safety device on both sides.
Another personal safety factor for me with a concealed carry pistol is the fact that, thanks to its function as a hammer-fired pistol, you can immediately see whether it is cocked or not. This does not apply to two of the Walther models you mentioned.
Although the P30sk has the stronger 9mm Luger caliber, the grip, which can be perfectly adapted to your own hand, allows the 9mm Luger to get under control of the stronger recoil.
Firing the first shot accurately in DA with the P30sk is just a matter of training.
One more personal remark: The H&K P30sk is the only pistol I would replace my Walther P 5 compact with.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
The OP was asking about the three specific guns, but if you consider the P30sk, shoot one first. One of the issues with a lot of folks, including me was that it pinches the trigger finger between the trigger and the trigger guard. They are great guns, but not for everyone. I also carry the Springfield Hellcat which I highly recommend.

·
Registered
707 Posts
The PPS would be my preferred choice of those 3 pistols. It's the smallest of the 3 and I've gotten a sense that it's a bit more reliable than the PK380 or CCP.

Some considerations: The PPS is likely to have as much recoil or more than the G3 that you wish wasn't so snappy. The PPS will almost certainly have the most felt recoil of the 3 pistols you listed.
The PPS has a very short grip. I can only get a full grip on the 7 and 8 round magazines. The 6 rounds leave my pinky hanging off (and I use mens M size gloves, for reference)

The PK380 will have the smallest amount of recoil and can be found with a manual safety. It's also the biggest of the 3 you mentioned, which may be a drawback. It's certainly concealable, though.

The CCP kind of splits the difference. It, too, has a manual safety. It's a bit bulkier than the PPS but also fires the 9mm cartridge so it will have more snap than the PK380. It's design is supposed to reduce recoil, I've not actually shot one to judge by 'how much'.

·
Banned
594 Posts
The OP was asking about the three specific guns, but if you consider the P30sk, shoot one first. One of the issues with a lot of folks, including me was that it pinches the trigger finger between the trigger and the trigger guard. They are great guns, but not for everyone. I also carry the Springfield Hellcat which I highly recommend.
The OP said explicitly (quote): "I am not opposed to other manufacturers ...". Hence my recommendation for the P30sk.
I don't own a P30sk, but I tried it on the indoor range of a gun shop and was so impressed with this pistol that I almost actually exchanged my P5 compact for it - if they had made me a better offer for a trade-in.
I didn't have the trigger finger problem you described.
General rule:
If possible, try a pistol that you plan to use regularly before buying.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
My wife has a PK380 because it is so much easier to rack the slide. Hers has been a very good gun and eats all types of ammo, but as stated, some have not been that lucky. Also when I deep conceal, I carry my Springfield 911 380. Weighs 14oz full and it is surprisingly light on the recoil but is single action only. Lots of choices out there.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Maybe things have changed but the PK380 was the first pistol I ever bought. Was very cheaply made compared to other pistols and the need for a key to take it down was a pain (I ended up using needlenose pliers to replace it). For quality sake, I would avoid it. The PPS is where I would go, but you might have other specifics I don't know about.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
The PPS is where I would go, but you might have other specifics I don't know about.
I really like my PPS m2. Not a lot of felt recoil compared to others. I keep trying to get guns that improve my CCW experience, but nothing outperforms it and I just keep coming back to it. As for the PK380 takedown tool, a tire valve stem removal tool is the way to go. The only advantage that the PK380 has is how easy it is to rack. I really like my Hellcat also, but I shoot the PPS m2 just a little bit better because the grip is a bit bigger for my large hands. I am not really a fan of the CCP, but many here are. JMHO!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
[
I have the 2 full-size 9's but have chunky hands...I held a Walther PPS (I think it was an M1) at a pawn shop and I really liked the feel of the gun in my hand.
I've used a PPS M2 for summer carry and I like it a lot as it's slim enough to conceal under a t-shirt. I have small hands with short thin fingers and have no difficulty in gripping it. I always carry it with the seven round magazine but they also make an eight round magazine with a larger finger rest if needed.

a hammer-fired pistol, you can immediately see whether it is cocked or not. This does not apply to two of the Walther models you mentioned.
Both the PPS and CCP have a cocking indicator. Many striker fired pistols have this feature but I don't think it's that important to have. Once I load my PPS I place it into its holster and I know it's cocked even if I don't look at or feel the indicator pin.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
Of the three choices, PPS M2 hands down It is a REAL Walther, the other two are Umarex products and are Walthers in name only. Another excellent choice In this class is the Springfield HellCat. I really like mine; good ergonomics, excellent durability/reliability, great accuracy, and as for capacity, it's the Top Dog.

·
Registered
🎖USMC, Retired
140 Posts
PPS M2 FTW of the 3 Walther's mentioned. The PPS M2's 7 and 8 round mags are the grips I use, and it carries and handles very reliably. So much so that my Wife actually prefers my PPS M2 compared to her Sig P365 SAS.

(side bar...) Be interesting to see if there'll be an " M3 " version released soon...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’d definitely go with the PPS M2 . I’ve owned the CCP M2 , the trigger in my opinion compared to many other firearms I’ve shot was the least desirable. Also the soft coil system can get very dirty with powder residue. The frame can get hot after firing a few boxes of ammo. As for the 380 ACP I prefer the 9 mm. It’s more affordable than 380 ammunition and more stooping power.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The PPS is the only one of the 3 choices you listed that I (personally) would ever trust to protect my life in a CCW role.

Unfortunately, if you feel like the G3 has too much recoil, I’d doubt the PPS would be a good match for what you’re looking for. Recoil is subjective, but in this case I can almost guarantee the PPS felt recoil will far exceed what you experience with the G3.

I’d personally go with a different MFG than Walther in this situation.

A few additional options that I’d recommend researching:
-HK P30SK 9mm (thumb safety optional)
-Smith and Wesson M&P Shield EZ 9mm/.380 (thumb safety optional)
-Smith and Wesson M&P9C 9mm (thumb safety optional)
-Beretta Px4 Storm Compact (thumb safety standard)
-Springfield XDe 9mm (thumb safety standard)

Good luck in your search!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.