Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I carried a German blued Interarms PPK/s as an off-duty weapon during the 70's & 80's. Sold it to buy a freezer. (Had a growing family then.) I have a 1986 blued Interarms that I carry now. It shoots well and has a much smoother DA trigger than I remember my German one as having.

I recently had the opportunity to buy a blued 1985 Interarms "safe queen." According to the previous owner it's only had about 100 rounds through it. Looks like it came out of the showroom yesterday, with perhaps one exception. The trigger guard has turned sort of a reddish brown color. I've seen different metals accept bluing differently in other guns (i.e. S&W) but this is the first Walther I've experienced this with. My 1986's trigger guard is a little different that the rest of the body, but it's still black (blue).

I am not really concerned about it, but am curious if this is "normal." This pristine 1985 is in the smaller box, like my German one came in. Did something in the manufacturing change around 1985 - 1986?

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
Bluing is oxidation which continues over time while subjected to a variety of chemicals and temps. With people using Mobile 1 and Frog Juice I wouldn't be surprised to see a gun that's candy striped... :rolleyes:
Anyway, the trigger guard acts as a spring/buffer to stop the slide so it likely will have a different color than the rest of the gun. My 1983 German PP is showing various shades of red/brown plum color over most of the finish. I'd guess the reddish tone is normal...or at least nothing to worry about... :)

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I also have the emblem off a 74 911S, that has turned a nice Plum color, that was why I kept it. I put a new one on when I sold the car.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Bluing salts/temp/metallurgy can cause this reddish/purple color. I have seen NIB PPK pistols with this either on the slide or frame.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have an old 870 that has parts that have turned like that. Not splotchy, the whole part like the trigger guard. I got it new and it's otherwise pristine.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
If it bothers you, take the trigger guard off and sent it to Mike McClellan to reblue. It will come back blue/black, and stay that way.

M

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Plum" is actually a better description. Doesn't really bother me, was just curious since I'd not seen this with the other two PPK/S I've owned. Thank you very much for the replies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts