Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked this up today for about $480 OTD. It actually came with a Pachmyr wrap-a-round grip, but I had some factory grips I added. It date codes to 1978.

After getting it home and doing some research, Walther Germany didn't offer a matte stainless in 78'. So I guess it's been refinished in HC, electroless nickel, or NP3?

What's got me stumped is the light struck "S" at the end of the frame serial number (which I though meant "stainless")? Could it be Interarms that applied this finish? Also all the marks are clear and crisp (except for the frame proof and date code). Not a big deal, I bought it as a shooter to replace the one I sold 2 years ago.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Pretty sure the S suffix on the frame serial number is to indicate it's a PPK/_S_. Mine (same year) has it also.

·
Super Moderator
7,434 Posts
Wow. Hardchrome stuff is coming out of the woodwork lately. Certainly not stainless; they were all made over here.
Throw the Pachy grips as far as possible.
Moon

Reactions: GeoNole94

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
IA or not the finish looks like a first rate job. Only thing I am sure about is that you got a quality pistol for about $200 less than the new ones coming out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IA or not the finish looks like a first rate job. Only thing I am sure about is that you got a quality pistol for about $200 less than the new ones coming out.
Thanks. They also did a top notch job of inserting the red paint on the safety and front sight hole. That's another consideration on why I thought it might be IA. Also the time frame of when IA started there own production. But I'm sure this is all just wishful thinking.

I had a choice between this one vs. a Stainless IA for about $30 less. I thought this one looked nicer, and it was made in W. Germany. I really thought it was a factory finish, as my old 1990's IA Stainless had those flat matte silver mags (like this one).

I'll probably go put some rounds through it today.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I got this out shooting today. I had a couple of failure to chamber completely. A forward push on the slide corrected the problem.

I also had it continue to de-cock it self (DA would work after) when I only had 3 rounds in the mag left. It did this almost every time. I noticed the Hammer block spring is weak. Not sure if this has anything to do with it? I ordered a new spring set from Wolff. I'll also try hotter ammo next time (I was using a box of MFS I had).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts