Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,I am new to guns and p38’s as well. Someone locally has one for sale. What would be a fair price for a 1969 Walther P.38/II the gun has original box and magazines? Is this gun any more collectible than a post war p1? Can’t find much info on them?

-The gun has some mild surface rust on it
-has original box
- has been fired/ very dirty
-comes with a 1944 soft shell holster

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
One person's "mild surface rust" is another person's "ugly scabrous corrosion".

How would you --sight unseen--put a value on that?

M

·
Registered
303 Posts
Given that the pics are minimal, I think you did ok on it. It has a heavy slide, but unreinforced frame, for plinking it ought to be fun with WWB 115gr. Holster looks ok but carved, in contrast though, the box- is it the original one? Then all good.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think you did OK (as long as the bore is good). The P38/II (older style frame and barrel with the new, beefed up slide) is a relatively rare item.

I heard the story on these was that when the new improvements to the post war P38 were incorporated, Walther's plan was to permanently change the slide marking on the commercial P38s, but Interarms thought that changing the P38 designation would be a marketing mistake due to the wide public recognition of the P38 name. MGMike could probably shed more light on that.

All of the P38/II that I have seen were made in 1969. Mine is dated 5/69 on the slide, I had also owned one years ago that was also marked 5/69.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts