Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my new asset arrived, 1968 PPK .22, according to seller was bought and placed in safe and never shot. Indeed the pistol is 100% except for the right front side of the slide, 3 spots see the pictures and according to my gunsmith no issue, just keep a little oil on it. He believes its from the pistol laying to long in the box. Am I a little disappointed I did not catch it earlier on the pictures, yes, but I need to move forward, already blessed enough to have this beauty.

My question to you is, can anything be done to remove the rust spots or make it better?
Absolutely no re-blueing.
Will it deteriorate further if I don’t do something?
Thanks for your advice.
Fixture Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas

Hood Grille Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Automotive design Light Vehicle Car

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
Don't let it bother you.

My '65 PPK .22 has two similar blemishes on the left side of the slide. The story I was told when I bought it was that the sellers father was a manager in a factory and kept it in his desk drawer. It too looked basically NIB and unfired except for those two spots.

I hesitated for a week and then decided that they weren't that bad and didn't matter for a shooter. I'm glad that I went back and got it. Now it's one of my favorites to take to the range.

I just keep it oiled and the corrosion hasn't gotten any worse. It prefers high velocity ammunition for best best reliability.
Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Font Natural material

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
It's a cosmetic issue and with standard maintenance will be no more. Cold blue would just be like "make-up", not solving the underlying issue. There is slight pitting.

Oil the gun well and shoot it. My old Walther PP from the early 1930s has had thousands of rounds of Svartklip HV ammo and all kind of other ammo shot through it and has always been a joy to shoot.

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Am I a little disappointed I did not catch it earlier on the pictures, yes, but I need to move forward, already blessed enough to have this beauty.
I understand your disappointment. I just reviewed the photos from the gunbroker site you posted two weeks ago. I would't have recognised the spots either. Yes, looking forward is the proper way. I hope you'll enjoy the new achievement anyway.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Take some ballistol or wd40 and apply on the spot. Let it overnight. Then take 0000 steelwool, soak again with oil and rub it veeeery gently with circular motion...this won’t hurm blueing...

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks gents, yes could not see it in the pictures, had several conversations with the seller, he did not miss state anything, it was as-is, he just did not mention the rust (conveniently :) ), and insisted no return as people are taking parts and stuff. So I dove in….lol……. Anyhow called him when receiving it yesterday, said thank you after I told him about it, he pretended he did not know, I smiled and I let it go, $1425 lighter but got my first “shooter”, nobody tells my better half please…..knowing on average a mint .22 ppk on GB sells much higher I rest my case.

You may laugh at the following but I was planning to EDC it but the “little fucker” does not fit my holsters……….22 slide is thinner than the .380 and .32, crap!…….so I am going instead plan B: try to get a screw for the mother in pearl pimp grips I have and place it in the cabinet in my office so I can look at it during my meetings…….and use it of course as a shooter to have fun…..(no worries I got special lock on my office door and motion detector inside and ammo is locked up)…..will play with the 0000 too.

:cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Today my new asset arrived, 1968 PPK .22, according to seller was bought and placed in safe and never shot. Indeed the pistol is 100% except for the right front side of the slide, 3 spots see the pictures and according to my gunsmith no issue, just keep a little oil on it. He believes its from the pistol laying to long in the box. Am I a little disappointed I did not catch it earlier on the pictures, yes, but I need to move forward, already blessed enough to have this beauty.

My question to you is, can anything be done to remove the rust spots or make it better?
Thanks for your advice.
View attachment 102309
View attachment 102310
View attachment 102308
It’s not the best, but you can get Oxbo, which is a cold blue from Brownells. Some experts say dont do it, I use tripple ought steel wool. Carefully work the area, clean the spot with rubbing alcohol, dab with Qtip. Do it a number of times,and it improves it quite a bit. I steel wool it slightly after each application. Just a suggestion

·
Super Moderator
7,651 Posts
Handsome as the rest of the bluing is, resist the temptation to futz with it. You may make a situation worse.
Simply carrying any .22 auto (full disclosure; did it myself when without other options), it's a bad idea due to the unreliable nature of the round as regards feeding, and even going off.
Yeah, yeah, I know, some .22 pistols seem to run all the time, but they're still not to be trusted for anything serious.
The fact that the Brits let the Royal Irish Constabulary have .22 PPKs should tell you all you need to know. ;)
Moon

·
Registered
109 Posts

Thanks for your advice.
View attachment 102309
View attachment 102310
View attachment 102308
Rust on any collectable firearm devalues it quite a bit. And no there is nothing you can do about it except reblue it assuming the rust is not actually pitting. There is nothing you can do about pitting in most cases. Oil or better yet a coating of grease may prevent it from getting worse. If possible I would return it to the seller and demand a refund if he originally did not tell you about the damage. Lets fact stone cold facts you are never going to be happy with this gun. Most people would not be and if you keep it you will eventually end up dumping it and taking a big financial loss.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Thanks for your advice.
View attachment 102309
View attachment 102310
View attachment 102308
And I forgot to say that blued guns take a tremendous amount of preventable maintenance. A dehumidifier electric rod in a safe is mandatory, a good grade of gun oil like Break Free CLP is minimum. I usually then also put a coat of Rig gun grease on my guns and then put them in a plastic bag. Some people disagree with me on the plastic bag but if the firearm is at room temperature and not still wet with moisture I never have had one rust in a plastic bag. This is how most of the firearms companies used to ship guns with they were still making quality blued steel guns.

Neglect is the biggest destroyer of classic expensive firearms and all because the owner was too cheap or shiftless and lazy to care for them. That includes a large percentage of firearms owners. They just do not care.

·
Registered
10 Posts
And I forgot to say that blued guns take a tremendous amount of preventable maintenance. A dehumidifier electric rod in a safe is mandatory, a good grade of gun oil like Break Free CLP is minimum. I usually then also put a coat of Rig gun grease on my guns and then put them in a plastic bag. Some people disagree with me on the plastic bag but if the firearm is at room temperature and not still wet with moisture I never have had one rust in a plastic bag. This is how most of the firearms companies used to ship guns with they were still making quality blued steel guns.

Neglect is the biggest destroyer of classic expensive firearms and all because the owner was too cheap or shiftless and lazy to care for them. That includes a large percentage of firearms owners. They just do not care.
File a claim with Gun Broker. If, but only if, the seller's pictures on GB truly did not reveal what I am seeing here, then it would suggest that the seller hid the true condition. That's no no.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just put a few hundred rounds through the PPK and you will forget about cosmetic imperfections and realize the fun that goes with this fine shooting little pistol. My 67 PPK/s in .22 is a real boost to any trip out to make smoke…..these pistols were made to be shot.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Love the feedback all of it…………I think for $1425 I should have known….these go for $2500-3k normally………..pictures did not show it, the guy was not cool, I did not see it clearly until I took possession of it and got back home, fucked myself, but note the main reason I bought it is because I have everything I desire from Walther except a PPK…………it was never meant to be an EDC, nor safe queen…….another .22 to have fun with………….now its even better….I will be shooting the crap out of it….put my long ago purchased real mother of pearl grips on it and add it to my collection on display….with a dot of grease on the side…………..This was my third attempt to get a PPK… first 2 I got reimbursed after crap I received and both was a long fight (the second time I got so mad I threatened to fly up North, this time I warned myself if it is bad to let it go), one $2500 and one $2750…..the dream is gone……no more PPK pursuit……I am back to my first love….my PPK/s 380 with mother of pearl grips with Shark Alesi holster and if in my shorts I take my TPH .25 on adventure…………time to stop and focus on new things! Going to play with my other babies now. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I already decided about 40 years ago, when shooting a PP and PPk in .22 l.r. side by side that I enjoy the PP much more. Those findings were reenforced several times over the years, everytime I shot those two guns side by side. Rimfire Walther PP are also a whole lot less expensive.
I am shooting one or another rimfire PP for the four decades now and still enjoy those little plinkers.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Take some ballistol or wd40 and apply on the spot. Let it overnight. Then take 0000 steelwool, soak again with oil and rub it veeeery gently with circular motion...this won’t hurm blueing...
I always thought a copper pad (Chore Boy) was better to use on a blued gun with surface rust, than steelwool. Am I mis-remembering? Thanks.
Larry

·
Registered
43 Posts
Pads made of copper are superior as they do not scratch or remove bluing as steel wool does and do not leave a rustable residue, however, many copper pads are actually just copper washed…get a real copper pad..

·
Registered
36 Posts
I inherited a pre war PP , RJ marked , that was brought back after the war by Jack Sheppard. Jack was a officer in the 712th tank division. They guarded the Meekers Salt Mine. Depository of all the looted artwork and gold stolen by the Nazi’s. Jack put In inside his save until his passing. His brother obtained it afterwards, he put inside his safe until he passed. I received it in 2019. All that time the gun was inside its holster. Both sides of the gun has substantial pitting from the salt used to tan the leather. It shoots fine but looks terrible. Both of those gentleman where avid gun collectors, how did they not know about the effects of storage inside leather ?
Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Wood stain
Wood Gun accessory Bicycle part Gun barrel Metal

1 - 20 of 25 Posts