Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted pics of my '67 PPK on the firearms forum, but found this one and thought you folks here would really know your stuff. Seems the finish on mine raised questions on the other site which weren't fully answered.

This PPK was originally owned by a wealthy WWII vet, who was a purist - but I wouldn't doubt that he may have had a customized piece.

Since I haven't spotted an exact match, I haven't been able to determine it's value. I have the box, target, manual and two clips.

I'm interested in finding out what your opinions are.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, he didn't bring it back from WWII....

M
Not unless he was a POW until 1967... My point of saying he was a WWII vet is that he had an interest in guns and nice gun collection. He also collected fine art, crystal, silver, etc. Everything he owned was of the highest quality. He passed away almost a year ago at age 93.

Have you ever seen this model and year with this finish? I don't know if it's stainless steel or chrome or what...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's glare, from flash, maybe? Is it Nivel? Does the box have any stickers on the side panel? I guess he could have had it chromed, but what a shame if he did....

The box just says PPK and the serial # on the side.

Yes, flash glare. It's really hard to get a decent pic since it's shiny. When I take it outside for pics, it picks up the reflection of everything around. I can try again - forgot about my front porch having a white ceiling. Might help.

I have no clue as to the finish... Just thought it was stainless until the other forum people started mentioning other things...which made me start wondering.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Walther did make PPK pistols in bright nickel which most
being made between 1966-1968.

These pistols usually came with white grips and nickle plated
magazines and the finger rest magazine was white not brown.

These factory type ppk and pp pistol are rare....

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
The finish definitely isn't NiVel (electroless nickel) but you probably aren't interested in what it isn't. To determine what the finish is we need better information. That starts with excellent photos followed by some research... :)
If you can't use diffused lighting how about taking pictures on a cloudy day? Please take photos of the entire gun (inside and out) and close ups of all markings. I think I see a German commercial vendor stamp below the serial number and some numbers on the butt by the lanyard attachment. Or it could be the reflection of a flock of birds...hard to be sure.... ;)
Here are tips for taking great photos:
www.waltherforums.com/forum/feedback-comments-issues/10404-tips-shooting-posting-great-photos.html
If you haven't already done so you should email Carl Walther-DE in Germany with the serial number and a photo or two. Ask what they can tell you about your PPK. Give this address a try and let us know what they say: [email protected]
I wouldn't worry about your PPK being ruined by an amateur chrome job. If it's not a factory finish it was most likely professionally applied. Give us some time and good photos...we'll figure it out... :D

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
That pistol appears to be chrome plated to me, or at the very least highly polished (doubtful). Whatever the case, it's a beautifully done job from what I can see in the pictures so far.

-Pilotsteve

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will definitely follow up on this. I live in Sunny Florida so we don't have cloudy days! (ahem..**cough, cough**)

Thank you for the additional info - and with better pics I'll email the gentleman you recommended and I'll post the better pics here as well. Most likely tomorrow!

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Looks like this PPK was refinished in "old fashioned" nickle plate. Whoever did it was pretty good as the pistol wasn't polished out, and all the marks and edges are still good.

The fact it has a standard box and brown stocks would indicate to me that it was not a 'factory' job as all the plated Walthers I have seen came in a nice case with the aforementioned white grips panels. Every factory Walther I have encountered that was plated was done in Gold or chrome and engraved.

From a collectors point of view, because this finish is not factory, other than it's practical value, the nickle devalues the pistol. This .380 still has great value as a "shooter", or carry piece. The market on a good PPK is strong so I would price it just a little under the what a clean, blued PPK would bring.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Indeed, beginning to look like the OP may have "scored", to bad my German is so obsolete, that Swiss sight has alot of nice pistols on it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Heard back from Carl:
:(

No we can't tell you the history of this pistol except that it is a PPK cal. 9x17 as the A represents the cal. 9x17
Sorry
Best regards
Carl Walther GmbH
Germany

On a better note, we're having a cloudy day in Sunny Florida...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, so who wants it? Or should I post in the selling section? I wouldn't know what to ask for it...

Not sure how to go about this - but you all have been so helpful, I want you to know first that I'm willing to sell it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.