Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive recently purchased a post-war walther p38,

however i know after WW2 they were forbidden to make any weapons for atleast 15 years etc.. and they began production of the walther p38 under the name of P1, i bought the gun listed as a P1, but the slide of my gun says 5/60 for the date and P38 on the slide, i was wondering if anyone could shed some light on how this is possible, i was under the impression no p38s were made after ww2 and that they are called p1s after ww2. did they just stamp it as a p38 but call it a p1?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Post war Walthers began production in 1957. Military pistols were not marked P1 until several years later. Civilian pistols were marked P-38 pretty much till the end of production.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ohhhhhhh i see, that makes alot more sense, i thought once they were able to make them again they were all called p1

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
It's kind of confusing, Wiggles. My P.38 is from 1961, yet I'm told they started being called P1's before that. Someone else here on the forum has one (I think) from around 1968 and it's still named P.38. King Tanfoglio has a brand new one made in 1987.

Actually, if we want to get really nit-picky the wartime steel-framed pistols are called "P.38", while the postwars are "P 38". Whatever... we really should call them, "Pistole Achtunddreißig" (Pee-stoll-eh Acht-und-dryzig) Roll the "r" in "dreißig". Got any pictures for us yet, Wiggles? We sure love to see nice Walthers here on the Forum... here's mine:

-Pilotsteve

·
Registered
223 Posts
Why oh why did PW Arms choose to place the import mark over the date stamp? Mine is like that too ; very annoying.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Don , that is correct. If PW had shifted the whole thing a fraction of an inch to the right the original date stamp would not be violated. It is a real detriment to an otherwise handsome piece.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts