Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very good condition 1957 Walther PP chambered in 22 Long rifle. I cleaned it extremely well and took it to the range. However, I was discouraged after properly lubing and trying six types of ammo. Nothing worked well and I experienced many malfunctions with chambering.

Obviously, no subsonic or hollow points worked. The best results were with blazer round nose ammunition. However, I still experienced malfunctions.

Can anyone recommend ammo that will properly cycle in these old PP 22s?
BA3D5DD7-5B04-4BAF-8400-096E0F015C4A.jpeg

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
These guns were designed for ball ammo. Try some European ammo (RWS pistol match f.e.). Btw.: I'm interested in SN, because of the year (1957) you've mentioned ;).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These guns were designed for ball ammo. Try some European ammo (RWS pistol match f.e.). Btw.: I'm interested in SN, because of the year (1957) you've mentioned ;).
Thanks for the ammo recommendation. Also, I’m glad you asked about SN, It is 14108. Hopefully I haven’t been lying to people. Does the year check out?

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Nobody knows ;), that's why I've asked. We know, SN 10002LR was made in 03/54, 53841LR in 08/85. But I know about 235xxLR, proofed in Germany in 1964.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
PS: And clean/lube the mags!

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
What malfunctions specifically are you experiencing? If you place four rounds in the mag do you have the same problems. Is the mag clean and the follower moving freely? Are rounds not being picked up and shoved out of the mag? Are rounds going nose up? What exactly is going on. That will give us a clearer idea of where to look. I'm betting a magazine issue. 1917

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What malfunctions specifically are you experiencing? If you place four rounds in the mag do you have the same problems. Is the mag clean and the follower moving freely? Are rounds not being picked up and shoved out of the mag? Are rounds going nose up? What exactly is going on. That will give us a clearer idea of where to look. I'm betting a magazine issue. 1917
The rounds are catching the bottom of the feed ramp and are not being chambered. The mags are clean and do not have a gritty feel when depressing the mag spring.

It’s as if the mag is not seating high enough for the rounds to go straight into the chamber. however, the mag is inserting properly and is not loose or wiggling when in the magazine well.

Thanks for your question, I should have been more specific.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Magazine problem. Does it do this with three or four rounds only in the magazine? Because of the rim on .22 ammo there is a stacking problem that makes the nose slant downward. Some owners report the problem occurs when the mag is fully loaded....as the stack goes down the rounds don't stack nose down as much so the nose is fed onto the ramp. You cannot correct this with the mag spring or the follower...however, stagger slots in the rear of the mag will cure it. Most modern .22 mags have them. I have cut some in an old PP .22 mag and it cured the stacking issue. If the rims can stagger a bit they will realign nose up. No one want to grind on an old, hard to find .22 mag but me. The PP pistols have a very precise mag well width which does not allow the rims to stick out past the sides of the mag as the rounds move up. Other pistols allow a sloppier fit and the rims can actually stagger a bit more.

Photo showing how some stagger slots allow the top rounds to reposition themselves which keeps the nose up. P22 mag on the left, PP on the right with P22 guts and who knows what bottom. I was pretty amazed that a lot of parts more or less interchanged without much modification.

P22 style stagger slots cut into a PP .22 mag and note how the rims can now stagger and realign themselves. That's my take on why some shooters have issues with PP .22s. The mag design does not allow sufficient room for rim stagger so the rims stack on top of each other. BTW, when the P22 was originally released it did not feed properly, the mags had no stagger slots but were soon replaced with a model that did which continues to this day. 1917

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
The above is in a couple of threads around here where I was making other magazines function in a .22 PP.....for example, easy to find S&W M&P compact .22 mags. They are longer, have to have a couple of tabs ground off and a catch to fit a walther cut in the front wall and the nose and left ear lowered....then they worked 100%.

·
Registered
28 Posts
On any 22 that's having issues, the first thing to do is try CCI Minimag 40Gr round nose. They aren't cheap by 22LR standards, but they are the physical embodiment of the 22LR specification. If it won't run those, it won't run anything and the gun is damaged, defective or poorly designed.

·
Registered
423 Posts
remington thunderbolts work in all of my 22's including four walther PP/PPK/s/TPH. And in the clones FEG SMC and Erma PK22

·
Registered
105 Posts
As mentioned above, the CCI Mini Mags work extremely well in my .22 PP as do the Remington Golden HP bulk pack bullets.
My magazines work perfectly when only loaded with 8 rds. If I load 9 or 10, the bullets will "nose down" and fail to chamber, so I stick to only loading 8 rounds.
That is a great looking pistol LeCat!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts