Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I am considering buying a 1944 Walther PPK from a friend, I took the gun apart and everything about it is nice including the bore. The gun itself is uniformly purple (saw other threads that this is due to poor bluing techniques near the end of the war). Bigger problem is the holster is almost completely dry rotted and useless and the magazine that was in the gun is NOT a Walther PPK magazine and does not have any markings on it at all. It will not stay in the gun, as there is no cut-out to receive the magazine holder mechanism. Any thoughts to how much a magazine-less 1944 Walther PPK would be priced?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Depends on condition and version of the PPK, post some good pictures and this thread can help A LOT!. Depending on the model, a WWII mag can cost $80-$250 or up (if a rarer model). So that needs to be negotiated into the value.

·
Registered
104 Posts
A relatively small number of PPKs were produced with heel release for the magazine. I don’t know if they used standard magazines or special ones for that configuration. If the latter, could it be that you have a rare heel release magazine? It won’t work for you but it would have considerable value I would think?

I could be all wet here. I’m just asking for those who know to chime in....

As for the value degradation, it depends on the nature of the gun you are considering. If it is just a scruffy shooter, then a new mag has it running for $30 or so and it shouldn’t make much difference. If it’s a collector’s piece, then a proper magazine is a necessity and those don’t come cheap, so the value of the gun would be impacted accordingly.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
As phansson wrote: Some detailed pics may help.

·
Registered
136 Posts
PPK

Pictures will help! But if heel release, flat bottom mags will work. Finger rest can be modified. A post about a month or two ago covered this. New mags will work if it is just a shooter. $20 to $30 to help negotiations on price. If it is a "collector" post above is spot on for price difference.

Capture papers or other items increase price, but condition and your willingness to pay are the greatest price determiners. Get some pictures loaded so we can give you better information. Also, markings on the pistol (military stamps etc.) can figure into your cost.

Duncan

·
Registered
820 Posts
So...I am considering buying a 1944 Walther PPK from a friend, I took the gun apart and everything about it is nice including the bore. The gun itself is uniformly purple (saw other threads that this is due to poor bluing techniques near the end of the war). Bigger problem is the holster is almost completely dry rotted and useless and the magazine that was in the gun is NOT a Walther PPK magazine and does not have any markings on it at all. It will not stay in the gun, as there is no cut-out to receive the magazine holder mechanism. Any thoughts to how much a magazine-less 1944 Walther PPK would be priced?

Your description of the gun as just a 1944 without a proper magazine does not help us give you and idea of price. It might be just a commercial of the period, or a police issue or even an RSHA issue. It all depends on the markings found on the gun. The color might indicate a dural frame. Is it magnetic? All of these comments factor into a value of the PPK. You can always buy another magazine but that will add some to the cost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gun Pics

Here are some detailed pictures of the gun in question. Any help would be appreciated, especially related to the magazine...thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
PPK

Okay, thanks for pictures. First, it has the "standard" mag release button release. No need to worry about getting magazines. You should be able to obtain mags in the 20 to 30 dollar range for shooting. Second I see no special markings to indicate a collector. Standard eagle over n proof marks. This does not mean it was not used by military. Because many were purchased as personnel weapons. It appears to be a standard commercial PPK.

I'm not sure, but the trigger guard looks slightly open in some of the pictures. May be the device you are using to display the pistol, or spring may be loose. The pistol itself is in good condition. Some use marks, but no real serious problems. Get it out of the holster. Not the best place to store it. Also, forget about the included magazine. Trying to force it into the mag well can cause problems.

Check out similar listings on price at several online auctions for asking price. Remember many online prices are inflated to make the most money. Final price is up to what you wish to spend.

Duncan

P.S. I reviewed the pictures again. My personal opinion is that it is a "shooter" unless other qualities can be found. Without getting my hands on it I cannot say go out and try it. If in doubt get it checked by "Walther qualified" gunsmith.

·
Registered
136 Posts
PPK

I took the pictures in on my desktop. Something looks amiss. Picture 2 shows the left side with everything in place, yes the "stamping" not clear but this could be the light. I'm looking at the safety and general outlines. In picture 4 I see the "stamping" but now the safety looks different. I cannot see the lever at all. It may be the lighting but I can't see it. Also, on the larger screen there are what appears to be deep scratches on the top of the slide. Something does not seem right.

But, remember it's a ZM PPK and those will never be made again. I'm 72 years old and this pistol is 4 years older than me. I have more then my share of scratches. But I would think twice unless I could see it in my hands. May be it's just me but something just bothers me.

Duncan

·
Registered
820 Posts
The magazine looks like a Sauer mag.

If you mean Sauer 38, no. Doesn't have the tell-tale button on the side and only six rounds. Would be for an earlier bottom mag release .32 like a Dreyse 1907. Notice the cut-notch at the lower part of the back of the mag. That is to engage the bottom mag release to hold the mag in place while ejecting a chambered round.

As to your original query as to value without magazine. It is a nice late war commercial gun with no magazine. IMO the value is $800, figuring another $250 plus for a proper mag with black finger extension.

I would look on Legacy Collectibles for a proper replacement mag if you want to keep it as a collectible. I would not shoot it. Grips are nice.

Reactions: olsoul

·
Registered
275 Posts
I took the pictures in on my desktop. Something looks amiss. Picture 2 shows the left side with everything in place, yes the "stamping" not clear but this could be the light. I'm looking at the safety and general outlines. In picture 4 I see the "stamping" but now the safety looks different. I cannot see the lever at all. It may be the lighting but I can't see it. Also, on the larger screen there are what appears to be deep scratches on the top of the slide. Something does not seem right.

But, remember it's a ZM PPK and those will never be made again. I'm 72 years old and this pistol is 4 years older than me. I have more then my share of scratches. But I would think twice unless I could see it in my hands. May be it's just me but something just bothers me.

Duncan
I think it's the light. On the enlarged photo, the safety is on...you can see the top of it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not to drift off topic but I have been interested in leather preservation and restoration if you can call it that. Does anyone have info on this subject? The holster posted could benefit from this knowledge. I have some custom leather and some antique leather that I would like to keep preserved. The guy who made my carry leather recommends renwax. Renaissance Wax. Being vegetable tanned, I know using oils will discolor, rancify, polymerize, and even break down the leather. Walther leather in the WWII era is a very high quality black pigmented what seems to be thick bullhide. I’m wondering if bull collagen or something can be used? Versus just hydrating the leather with moisture and waxing which can causes skin layers to delaminate from what I have seen in humid environments?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You were right!!

If you mean Sauer 38, no. Doesn't have the tell-tale button on the side and only six rounds. Would be for an earlier bottom mag release .32 like a Dreyse 1907. Notice the cut-notch at the lower part of the back of the mag. That is to engage the bottom mag release to hold the mag in place while ejecting a chambered round.

As to your original query as to value without magazine. It is a nice late war commercial gun with no magazine. IMO the value is $800, figuring another $250 plus for a proper mag with black finger extension.

I would look on Legacy Collectibles for a proper replacement mag if you want to keep it as a collectible. I would not shoot it. Grips are nice.
You were 100% correct, the magazine that was with the gun is from a Dreyse 1907. I did some extensive research and have found numerous pictures of the Dreyse 1907 with the exact magazine. Thanks for helping me identify where this one is from. The cool thing is someone may be looking for this magazine, much like I am trying to find the right one for the Walther PPk.

·
Registered
158 Posts
@santilla
Hello and welcome to the forum. Very nice pistol you have.
Poloberst gives good advice. Buy it if you haven't already, find the correct magazine for it, and put it up. That is a great piece to have, IMO.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts