Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

This little PPK has been scrubbed for some reason I do not know.
Possibly it was corroded and someone wanted to have it re-blue or maybe they weren't happy with the markings and removed them.
What is left is the two serial numbers and one visible Eagle on the receiver.
The Eagle on the slide is just a shadow and you would likely miss it if you didn't know where to look. Left side is completely cleaned off.

Your help and input is greatly appreciated

herbie

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,303 Posts
What exactly is your question?
Plainly it has been modded, affecting the value.
The serial numbers are intact, so legal possession and transfer shouldn't be an issue.
Moon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My question (s) would be

1) Is/was it common for them to be scrubbed & why?

2) Any hints as to who or what department it would have been issued to if any? I was told Police.

take care and thanks again

herbie

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
1) Someone liked to ruin the pistol by digusting refurbishing. By the way: grips are post war.

Thought on one picture could be .22lr....

2) It's a late war PPK. Most probably Wehrmacht.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Slide markings are very shallow. A hard look will remove them. No mystery here when the pistol was refinished they were polished away.

·
Super Moderator
7,303 Posts
herbie, are you negotiating for this pistol?

Moon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Moon

No--I own her ☺

Just curious why she was scrubbed.

Guess there could be many reason, but she does have good clean serial numbers

·
Super Moderator
7,303 Posts
Then you have a great shooter, and don't worry overmuch about what was done.
Gun is great shape mechanically? It's in the caliber we love here.
Moon

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Just curious why she was scrubbed.
Bubba let it rust and fixed it with some steel wool.

As 153 said, the markings on the ZM Walther's is very shallow. They were etched on with acid and it doesn't take much polishing to erase them. But you've got a great shooter to play with.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
The most likely reason why the markings are gone from the left side was not to deliberately remove them. More likely it is because the gun was pitted on that side only, probably from being left in a damp right-hand holster. As 153 has noted, the Zella-Mehlis roll stamp is very shallow to begin with, and any polishing sufficient to remove deep pitting would likely obliterate most of it. At that point, the choice to remove all traces of the marking and arrive at a totally clean surface is obvious and understandable.

M

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think whomever cleaned up the pistol used varying grits of sandpaper with backer block and wrapped it up with 200 grit to bring back machining. Super clean edges and on top of that, they were careful enough to not go the entire slide with their strokes thereby damaging the serations on the slide and lowering their edges. As much as I hate to see the markings obliterated, damn if they didn't do a decent job even if the job itself is questionable to some. Just my observation.

Edit: and whomever did it, did it a long time ago. I can't even fathom modern day folk giving that much care. Somebody loved that pistol and whomever worked on it loved their craft.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello

Previous owner bought it over 25 years ago and it was like this when he got it, so I think you are correct in your observation.
It is a nice job and will make a great shooter.
Take care, Happy New year and thanks for your input.

herbie

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I think whomever cleaned up the pistol used varying grits of sandpaper with backer block and wrapped it up with 200 grit to bring back machining. Super clean edges and on top of that, they were careful enough to not go the entire slide with their strokes thereby damaging the serations on the slide and lowering their edges. ...
I can't even fathom modern day folk giving that much care. Somebody loved that pistol and whomever worked on it loved their craft.
Exceptionally good refinishing has to be done by hand; it can't be done --not really well-- on a wheel (except by dedicated factory polishers with 20 years of experience). And it must be done by people who have studied the original process, have learned how to imitate it, and recognize what it looks like if it's done wrong. There is a prominent ingredient of artistry if one seeks to duplicate the factory original contours, texture, gloss and color of finish. As one example, the direction of polishing is very important.

It also is important to do the whole gun, so that the visible wear is consistent. In some cases, the finish on small parts, such as color case-hardening, if not restored, is a dead giveaway.

Some truly good work also can be done by specialized machines, especially on flat surfaces, but such equipment is usually beyond the resources of small gunshops and is too expensive to be practical for any but the most valuable guns.

M

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ian McCollum at Forgotten Weapons.com posted a video about special contract PPKs from this period (1943) that were issued to SS staff. The serial number on the slide and the K behind the serial numbers were indicators Check out that video. You may have a very collectable piece.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hello

Thanks for the tip and watched Ian's video. This one is well within the Serial Range.

Not sure how to proceed with further research, but will plod along ☺

Thanks again a do appreciate your help

herbie

1 - 20 of 25 Posts