Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was left this RJ marked PP from a family friend upon his passing. Sent it to Earl because the gun had not been fired since it was brought to the US in 1945. Earl replaced the springs, cleaning and lube and made a plug for the missing lanyard loop. Gun worked flawlessly when I got it back. Now it won’t chamber the first round , stovepipe when I rack the slide. This has started after putting about 60/70 rounds through it with no issues. Suggestions ?

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Think about what you did differently just before it started.

Also, please clarify: "Stovepipe" suggests the open end of a fired case sticking out, but you say it won't chamber a live round. Which end is sticking out?

M

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
I'm going with magazine problem. Disassemble the mag and clean it. But, too little information for much analysis. Change of ammo???? for example. 1917

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for your help ! I guess I used the wrong term “stove pipe “ ? When I pull back on slide to chamber the first round the cartridge ends up at an angle and stuck. Using PMC 71 Gr FMJ. Earl disassembled the magazine, cleaned and lubed, replacement spring. Very disappointing considering the cost of his service.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Let's try diagnosis one more time:

The first round ends up "at an angle and stuck". OK, nose up, nose down, what angle, stuck against what?

Did you switch to PMC 71-grain FMJ from some other ammo that worked earlier?

M

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Feeding stoppages that occur only on the first round are often the result of operator error, i.e., failing to smartly release the slide to slam closed (but instead riding it down with one's hand), or overloading the magazine, or applying upward pressure by pushing up on the finger rest.

Try downloading the magazine by one round, or slingshotting the slide to chamber the top round.

Failing that, try the FAQs which nobody ever reads: https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/faq-pp-tp/17157-troubleshooting-failure-feed.html

M

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
This is routinely a problem I see on all gun problems. " have a so and so and it won't do this, etc." "What do you guys think is wrong with it?" Gun in hand plenty of us might have a good idea.....over the net...not so much. A detailed explanation of exactly what the stoppage is is required including ammo. If the firearm is clean, state so. If you have made sure the chamber is clean, state so. What and when is the malfunction occurring, exact details. The more the better for internet diagnosis.

Magazines get dirty, breech faces get dirty, chambers get dirty, flat nose ammo vs fmj, vs hollow points, etc. are all items that might change the function of a firearm. I know it takes a bit of effort to explain it all as precisely as possible but that is necessary over the net. Pictures help greatly in showing the ammo position, type and exactly the position of the stoppage. Is the nose of the round jamming into the bottom of the feed ramp, the edge of the chamber, standing up nose above the chamber. What? Details, the more the better. Photos, even better yet. It doesn't sound like to me something huge has caused a formerly 100% pistol to suddenly got north with feeding issues. I got tired of people saying went south....so I say it went north. :cool::) I'm sure we can get it sorted with enough info. 1917

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had the same problem a week ago with a .32 PPK. Wouldn't load the first round at all, just wouldn't strip it entirely from the mag, but just enough to lock it up. Hard to eject the round, which I reloaded as the first round in my other mag. Same problem; I took that round out, the rest of both magazines worked fine.

Must have been the round, but I don't know what it was. I tossed it without examining it, probably a mistake. The rest of the afternoon, I had no problem. Shooting FMJ. Got rim-lock with my FN 10 using hollowpoints and a replica mag, though, but not a 180-degrees.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Feeding stoppages that occur only on the first round are often the result of operator error, i.e., failing to smartly release the slide to slam closed (but instead riding it down with one's hand), or overloading the magazine, or applying upward pressure on pushing up on the finger rest.

Try downloading the magazine by one round, or slingshotting the slide to chamber the top round.

Failing that, try the FAQs which nobody ever reads: https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/faq-pp-tp/17157-troubleshooting-failure-feed.html

M

Great post, Mike. That FAQ thread should act as a guide for all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wanted to follow up on my original post. I have taken the PP out to my range about half dozen times since I started the thread with absolutely no issues at all ? I believe after reading the follow up posts that the problem was me not the pistol. I have the tendency to ride the slide instead of just releasing it. Last elk season I ruined an opportunity to bag a trophy by doing exactly the Sam thing with my Remington semi automatic. You do learn the hard way sometimes...thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wanted to follow up on my original post. I have taken the PP out to my range about half dozen times since I started the thread with absolutely no issues at all ? I believe after reading the follow up posts that the problem was me not the pistol. I have the tendency to ride the slide instead of just releasing it. Last elk season I ruined an opportunity to bag a trophy by doing exactly the Sam thing with my Remington semi automatic. You do learn the hard way sometimes...thanks

It happens.
When I was younger, I had a tendency to "ride the slide" as well. The guys I was shooting with had about the same level of experience as I did.
An older fella at the range pointed out what I was doing wrong, and all the feed issues went away.
Problem for me was that I was so used to doing it that sometimes I would ride it without realizing I was doing it.
Takes time to build up that muscle memory. Once that happens, the problem goes away forever.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yup. Pull back, then just let go. You’re not doing anything any favors by trying to ease its forward travel.

I always prefer to use a 1911-style slide release when possible, rather than pulling the slide to the rear. But with a PP-family pistol that’s not an option unfortunately. A real design flaw IMHO.....

·
Registered
360 Posts
When I was LEO instructing, a student was getting periodic stoppages and failure to chamber. This was a Glock, and the problem continued. I took his pistol and fired a few mags, no problem with the pistol that I could find. Observing him, he was shooting with his thumbs up and was dragging against the slide enough to slow the slide down and prevent it from loading the next round.

·
Super Moderator
7,506 Posts
That 'letting it slam' thing runs counter to our notion of not treating a prized pistol like we stole it. But that's how it runs when being fired.
BTW, don't let it slam on an empty magazine. Or do slam a buddy's tuned 1911, just to see how much trouble you start.
Moon

Reactions: STEELINOX
1 - 15 of 15 Posts