Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, sorry if this should be posted elsewhere, i just made this account so that i could get some guidance on whether or not this thing is real or fake, if 1939 is the correct year, if its Luftwaffe. Etc. Ive heard it should have the eagle symbol stamped on the slide and frame, but i dont see it. Ive seen others that dont have it either. Im not sure if the grips are original or not. The story goes, Captain Canardi, a family friend, got this off a downed luftwaffe pilot, gave it to my great grandmother, which it was her carry weapon (she ran a security outfit) and then was handed down the line to me. So, take a look and see what you guys think.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
The year is correct, the grips were usually on a party Leaders weapon. Nice grips, I think the only issued Luftwaffe Walthers were PP's and they had the standard Walther grips. However, my uncle bought and carried a PPK and he was a Luftwaffe pilot. So the down pilot could of been, originally or at one time, a party member leader and still carried the PPK while in the Luftwaffe.

Martin will probably know for certain.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Hi Mike, welcome at first!
According to the serial number the gun was made in 1939, correct. Proof marks in 1939 were crown/N, not eagle/N. Located on the frame (ejection port), on the slide under the ejection port and also on the barrel near muzzle.

The grips could be original, but without more detailed and close pics of the dismantled grips inside (!) and outside it's hard to say. To much (partially very good) remakes of these party leader grips are out there, it's one of the most copied parts. Be careful when dismanteling the grips, they tend to crack!

No way to say, who and what the original owner was. Sorry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the quick reply fellas, now i see the N and crown, though slightly worn. Given that is was my great grannies, i would venture to say she would not fake the grips but i understand they would have to be verified. Any idea on the value if all is real deal?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts