Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1930 Walter PP does not lock the hammer back after being fired. I took trigger bar spring out and it looks different than my later PPs. Also there's another spring that I believe was under the trigger bar. There's also a small cut in frame. Does anyone if the earlier PPs were different? I've attached a couple pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
I don't have a PP that is that old but doesn't the trigger bar work pretty much the same as all PP pistols. I had an issue with a .32 pp where the hammer was not always caught and the problem was the hammer block spring. That story is up in the FAQ section. MGMike sent me a new spring and that cured the issue. There was very little difference between the old spring and the new one but that cured the issue. The small spring looks like an ejector spring. These pistols do have changes in their details over the years and 1930 would be an early one. That's all I have to offer. 1917

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
Welcome tracy, I expect some others will join in...perhaps some that have one of these old pistols. The trigger spring in the pistols I'm familiar with simply holds the trigger bar upward at all times. This makes it engage the notch on the sear. The bump on the rear end of the trigger bar is the disconnect for when the slide cycles or is not fully forward. The trigger bar is simply pressed down against the trigger spring so that the hammer can't be released. I'm not aware of any difference on the early pistols but that doesn't mean they didn't differ. We have seen some pretty interesting details of ejectors/magazine followers, etc..thanks in part to Member Poloberst posting some rarely seen parts. 1917

·
Registered
9,756 Posts

Thread by MGMike from the FAQ section might be of benefit. 1917

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. In the early PPs they have a V spring that holds up the trigger bar, not the trigger spring. It looks the like mine is missing the hammer block C spring. I ordered one from Earl's.

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
Yepper, I remember that now. Later pistols have a coil spring for the hammer block and that was the part I needed to stop my hammer from following the slide forward. Hope that fixes it for you. Keep us posted if you will. 1917

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The hammer block is different. Do you know how to remove it and replace the C spring?

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
No, I don't, sorry. See post 10 in this thread. I'm sure someone around here knows. 1917

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. Do you know how the V spring that holds up the trigger bar goes? Opening towards the grip or away from the grip?

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
No but there are some folks here who do. I think you should change your thread title to something like; 1930 PP, Need help with trigger bar springs and hammer block spring. That might bring some help from people who have experience with this pistol. I know there are threads scattered around here and there that discuss this. Later pistols have the trigger spring only hold up the trigger bar. 1917

·
Registered
9,756 Posts

This old parts diagram shows the open end facing forward. Part 39A The diagram seems to have the old style hammer block but I don't see a spring pictured with it. Part 42. 1917

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1917 - You've done a lot of research. Thanks. I've downloaded this diagram. Here's a few pictures that also help

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got the V spring in and it looks correct. Now I have to figure out how to take the hammer block out and put the C spring in.

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
There are Members here who have these old pistols. Not sure why someone hasn't dropped by to explain the process. I can usually figure things like this out by fiddling with it and having a close look....but, I don't have a Walther that old. Regarding the trigger bar spring. That looks correct. Guess they hadn't figured out how to make the trigger spring perform both functions. 1917

·
Registered
9,756 Posts

Looking at the drawing above I would assume there is a small hole on the right side of the frame where the small spring end is fitted. The other end of the spring fits into a notch on the right side of the hammer block. The spring holds the part down at all times. I also not Mr. Marschal calls this a 1st variation...which means...uh oh! There might be a different set up. If my assessment is correct I'm not sure what would be holding the part in place without the spring being present unless the old one broke off in some manner and jammed the part.

In this photo it seems the spring would simply be flipped to the right with the straight end of the spring resting in the slot on the right side of the block. The bottom end would insert into a hole in the inner right side of the frame. Mike McClellan and M&M Gunsmithing would likely know and be able to service the pistol should you need it. He is located just above Huntsville, AL.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Guys! I too, have one of these First Variation. I allowed a noted EXPERT, since retired, to refinish mine, since it has extra graffiti swastikas on it in three places and no original bluing. I asked about disassembling the pistol & sending the parts, but he was adamant he knew "all about PP Pistols." Anyway, he lost the hammer block C-spring as well as the trigger bar spring. I was able to procure a hammer block C-spring from a Friend in Warsaw, Poland on loan. I have another Friend, here in the States who will be making up a few of the C-springs, special order for me and anyone else who needs one. I have NOT located a source for the little trigger bar lifter spring. Thoughts on where one might be found? My PP worked w/o that spring and the hammer block in place, but that was only a test to see how badly it was compromised....I can see that I need to be a part of this Discussion Group...DesertDave in AZ

1 - 17 of 17 Posts