Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,925 Posts
There are 1911 pistols that are good deals, and there are 1911 pistols that are expensive. Most expensive ones are hand-machined and fitted; many middle-cost ones are cast and hand-fitted; some really affordable ones such as Rock Island Armory (Armscor from the Philippines) use rely more on mass production methods and cheap labor, yet are still quite reliable.

What 1911 brands/models are you specifically considering?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
From a manufacturing and economic standpoint, the 1911 style handgun is made primarily of steel that requires many machining operations, has a lot of parts, and depending on how closely it is fitted and how high the quality of the parts (many require different grades of steel and tempering), it can require additional hand fitting and extensive finishing. That results in different levels of cost and quality. From an aesthetic standpoint, it is a marvelously simple machine which has developed a large following and earned a high level of respect from users for efficiency and performance over the last 107 years, and continues to do so. A new shooter or user may not develop an appreciation for the 1911 in the same manor that a driver may not appreciate the use and function of a standard transmission automobile until they drive one for awhile; you won't see the advantages or handling qualities by examining it from "the outside". It must be experienced in hand to understand it completely.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
It must be experienced in hand to understand it completely.
This exactly sums up my experience. I never ‘got it’ until I actually handled and shot one. Doing so will make you a believer :cool:

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
The last three posts sum it up.

Always had interest in the 1911, finally purchased one for myself a few months ago (on my birthday). I have large hands, so finding a 14 rd mag wide-frame match barrel Para NIB had me pulling my wallet out. Awesome firearm.......

Attachments

Reactions: ronin11 and Kar98

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Never wanted a 1911, mostly the grip safety was what put me off. Then my wife wanted a small carry gun, got her a Kimber Micro 9, which she found to bouncy and snappy and truly if you stand nearby when it gets fired, it makes your teeth rattle. Also, the trigger pull was too heavy for her liking. So the thing wandered over into my stash. Somehow it became my main carry gun. And just a few months later, I decided I wanted a full-sized one also, LOL. Now I kinda want something in between, too, larger than the Micro 9, not quite as boat-anchory as the GI model:

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Have I got news for you! :D

Yes, that Remington is actually the Para design wide-frame, Cerberus Group owned Remington when it purchased Para USA. They shuttered Para USA and rolled it all into Rem.

FWIW, I can force 15rds into the Para mags, I don't do it though.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
what makes a 1911 such a big deal.....and so expensive?
A 9mm 1911 is probably the softest shooting 9mm design available. The 1911 trigger is arguably the best available in a defensive pistol. Put these two together and it should be easy to see that they are very easy pistols to shoot well with.

It is expensive because parts need to be hand fitted and installed in the pistol, and because people will pay. There is a lot of nostalgia involved when discussing the 1911. I'd say that it has been surpassed in reliability, weight, capacity, and durability, like most other designs that were released over a century ago, but they are very easy to shoot, and people like them.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I agree 100% with Balance, a standard-frame 1911 in 9mm hits the sweet spot. The .45 1911isn’t unpleasant to shoot, at all, but the 9 version is terrific. Interesting enough, the 1911 in 9mm is sacrilegious to a lot of people, but over the last few years I have noticed a lot more people talking about theirs. Mine is a SIG in stainless, so I am really not following the party line ;)

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
A full-sized one, yes. A Micro 9, not so much. That's probably the harshest shooting 9mm design available
Which one?

I have fired commander size and full size pistols mostly, but the EMP is the smallest I've shot in 9mm. My 3" EMP shot very soft, as did the others.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
It only does that to people standing near the shooter, back and to the right. The shooter itself is unaffected.
The snappiness... well I just picked up a CZ 52 again because I missed the one I have. But that one weighs a couple of points. The Micro 9 weighs nothing. Aluminum alloy frame!

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I love a good 'ol .45 caliber 1911, still have one - a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911-A1 model that has upgraded sights. They're just fun to shoot - and accurate.

A 9mm 1911? I've had several now and they are the most fun guns I've ever had. I've got a couple of CZ 75s left, but there's much felt recoil with them than 1911s in 9mm.

I think a Dan Wesson is about the best production 1911 money can buy.. Then again my Rock Island 1911 in 9mm and my Springfield 9mms are utterly reliable..

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I agree 100% with Balance, a standard-frame 1911 in 9mm hits the sweet spot. The .45 1911isn’t unpleasant to shoot, at all, but the 9 version is terrific. Interesting enough, the 1911 in 9mm is sacrilegious to a lot of people, but over the last few years I have noticed a lot more people talking about theirs. Mine is a SIG in stainless, so I am really not following the party line ;)
I bought a Kimber stainless target 9mm several years ago and wow did people hate the idea of it. I bought a Springfield Loaded model 1911 in 9mm not long after, they did take some tinkering to get to be reliable..but now most manufacturers have figured them out.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.