Walther Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a brand new Walther P99AS last week. I am a strong proponent of the 1911, but not the point of exclusion of other designs. I have literally hundreds of thousands of rounds out of various 1911's from single stack 45's, to high-cap 38 supers, to my STI custom 40. Then I branched out and tried a Glock 34 at some plate matches (before Hurricane Katrina closed the range!). My carry guns have rotated from a Glock 26 to a Colt Series 70 LW Commander. Each is a fine piece. I had done some research on the Walther and decided to give it a try. Here are my impressions after 500 rounds:

1) The P99AS is extremely light and well sculpted. There seems to be no excess metal or plastic anywhere. The front edge of the slide is rounded and I've encountered no sharp edges. I could live without the grip texture and think it would have been better if Walther had adopted a textured grip like that of the USP. The Walther exhibits superior ergonomics.

2) Brilliant decocker design. Why have a lever when a flush mounted button will do the same thing and preserve the sleek design of the weapon?

3) Very smooth double action pull with consistent pressure (no discernable stacking before break.) Single action pull has great reset.

4) Pertaining to reliability, so far so good. I'll know more after I put another 2K rounds thru it.

5) As far as accuracy, let me tell you this: it, like most guns is better than you or I. It will put a .355 hole where you want it if you do your part.

Someone in a previous post mentioned that Walther should do a better job of promoting this gun. I think that is a good idea. I can think of few pistols with a 16 round capacity that are so light, sleek, and accurate and shootable. For my other 1911 bros out there I would urge you to pick up one of these gems and try them. When you stop analyzing it for what it is not, and discover what it is, I think you will be quite impressed.

Caspian :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the Forum.....
sounds like you are another happy P99 owner.....
as to reliability... I think the P99 will not let you down....
and to the texture... I have a "Derma grip" on my P99 that is from Walther Germany.... there is two places that sell them here in the US
It is like a heat shrink wrap that goes over the grip and you heat it up and it stays in place.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thank you. I'll give the Derma Grip a try. I'll be doing another 500 round test this Thursday and will post my findings. I'd like to see some opinions from other 1911, Glock, and HK users on the P99. Getting the opinions from users of other systems will highlight the advantages and liabilities of the P99 and (hopefully) result in an objective analysis of the pistol, which I think is what most people are after here. Thanks again and I look forward to sharing more info learning from others here. Take care.

Caspian:cool:

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Well, I have an HK - and while I love it - My P99 is da bomb :p

I can shoot better w/ it than I can with a 1911. In fact, after I shot better with my SW99 (my P99 clone) than I did with a $1200 1911, I decided to not even buy these expensive 1911s anymore. What's the point. My $439 SW99 shoots better for me.

And now that I have an Actual Walther P99 A/S fullsize, I can shoot just a teeny tiny bit better than I did with the SW99.

I think the P99 is the best 9mm out there.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I just moved to the 45 ACP (rock island replaceing internals with wilson) and have shot Kimbers, and Springfields. Although I still don't agree with the issues that come with the 1911 I like them. I must say the 1911 can have a better SA trigger, but when it comes down to it I think the Walther beats out most other guns in versisitility, and reliability.

Also as I am sure you have noticed the Walther has a similar grip angle to a 1911 compared to glocks. That way you wont botch up your shooting when you switch to a 1911.

Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes. It seems a lot of thought went into the grip design and it, like the rest of the gun seems to have just what it needs, and nothing it does not in terms of excess material and circumference. I'm not going to hang up my 1911s and Glocks just yet, but I am willing to see how good the P99 is. I can say that I sold my Kimber TLE II after I bought my Springfield XD 45acp 5". The XD was that good. So far, I am equally impressed with the Walther. Both the XD45 and the Walther share at least one thing in common, and that is superior ergonomics. Both guns are exceptionally well proportioned for the rounds that they hold.

I've owned Sigs (226 & 220), HK P7, Beretta 92, numerous Browning P35s, and Glocks. So far I can say I like the Walther better than the Sigs, P7, and P35. It's still gonna have to prove to me that it is as reliable as the Glock, and that is something I cna only be satisfied with after I have more rounds through it. My impression however, is that it will do just fine.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
I can't remember the guys name.... but people tend to forget that the grip of the P99 was designed by the same guy that designs the grips for the Olympic shooting team.... I think the results would show up with a quick google search... this alone should show/tell why the P99 ergos are so superior to many other pistols

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it is Morini of Italy if I remember correctly. One of the benefits of the interchangeable backstraps is that not only does it alter the grip to suit each hand, changing the backstrap also will affect the position of your index finger on the trigger. When we used to do speed shooting with our 1911's, I'd use an arched mainspring housing and a long flat trigger. I have larger hands and this put my trigger finger in a relaxed position on the trigger face without me having to bend it to prevent too much from entering the trigger guard.

So far the intermediate backstrap on the P99 seems a good compromise. I can still use my "thumbs forward" grip that I am used to and have good control of the trigger, even in DA.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi, I do own a P99AS and a Springfield 1911 9mm Loaded SS with some other custom work done by Springfield. (Wide mouth Mag well, extended mag release, trigger job).

I do like my P99, but for straight up accuracy my 1911 out shoots the P99.

It should, it has adjustable rear sight with a narrower cut, longer sight radius, better trigger (less pull # and less travel), and being heavier, less recoil.

It should be more accurate.

What I do like about my P99 is; lighter, holds more rounds 16+1 verses 8+1, more compact length and height, I like the DA trigger for Concealed Carry, mag release is a better reach than the 1911, easier to strip and clean, probably more forgiving on ammo and maintenance than my 1911, thought this has not been an issue so far.

For shooting paper with tight groups, I choose my 1911. For plates compition I shoot both, and the 1911 does better both on time and elimination rounds. For everyday carry, the P99 is in the holster.

I was a P99 owner before the 1911. I would not sell either one.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I enjoy my P99's, but I like that 1911's can be really tuned to a shooter's personal preferences. For an out of the box, combat gun with no custom work or tweaking, the P99 delivers about as much as one can reasonably expect. The ergonomics are great and the gun is clearly well thought out. Additionally the price is substantially less than a good 1911 with some custom work.

That said, I have found a well tuned 1911 with a sweet trigger can do some magical things when it comes to accuracy. My first 1911 was a broken down IPSC gun previously owned by a friend. He didn't want to put in the money to repair it so I took it off his hands. After replacing some parts and fixing it, I can say it feels a little unfair to compare it to other guns. It is that good.

Of course, it's a gun that has about three or four times the bucks in it when compared to a P99. And out of the box, before the custom work I doubt it was anything special.

As someone else said, I wouldn't want to part with either one.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Incidentally, the grip was designed by an Italian, Cesare Morini, renowned for his grips made for Olympic shooters.
For straight out of the box comparison, I will go with the P99?but .I have shot several tricked out 1911?s in USPSA and it is hard to beat their narrow sight picture and crisp trigger break?.but sort of like ?I like apples and you like oranges??

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Currently in Metairie, LA, but working in New Orleans, hence the need for a carry gun (sometimes two!).

The impressions I am getting from 1911 owners so far is about what I expected and also what I have found to be true. When you take the time to make it right, nothing really comes close to a properly tuned 1911 for those who have learned on that system. However, there are few that acceptable straight from the box. While I have carried the LW Commander & G26 a great deal, the P99 seems a logical alternative for the reasons all of you have cited, most notably, the weight and ergonomics. I have found that most 1911 guys have taken quite a liking to the P99, although the guns could not be more different. While every gun compromises somewhere, the P99 seems to compromise less than most others (of course, that is a subjective comment).

·
Registered
333 Posts
Like some have said trying to compare the P-99 to the 1911 platform ........is like comparing apples to an apple cart ! Having said that, they both have similar goals.

The caliber of ammo alone, puts both in different leagues. Most tactical units across the country are racing to convert their pistols to the 1911 platform.
They have discovered what many have stated - the pistol [ 1911 ] is very easy to tune to a shooters liking. And wartime has proven again, that the 45 acp is a tried and true manstopper. [ I am also aware that 1911's are being built in many different flavors now ].

I carry a 1911 daily -- and would not switch back. I do enjoy and would not sell my P-99 in .40 Caliber. I own one of the S&W made version. The p-99 is built for the person that doesn't really need or want to tinker with their firearm........... this weapon is truly accurate and reliable right out of the box. The 1911 platform has been around for so long - that you can buy custom parts from just about anywhere....... and tinker with the pistol until your heart's content. It is extremely easy to take apart, down to the last drift Pin. The sear and Disconnector can be changed out without too much trouble, giving the shooter incredible trigger pulls.

A good anology might be : Some people like to race cars, and just want to get inside, turn the key, and off they go racing [ P-99 ]. Others like to race, but want to get inside the hood and tinker with the Car themselves and take pride in the performance they are able to achieve [ 1911 ]. Both enjoy the same speed and both capable of winning the race.

It's just a personal choice .........

JF.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think that's very true. The thought behind my original idea was a not Walther VS 1911 concept (which is, as you suggest, a comparison of vastly different systems), but rather to get the feedback of 1911 users of the P99. I'll let other forums argue of the merits of which is "best." We 1911 guys can be a hard headed bunch, but the point of the whole thing was that it seems that many 1911 users have favorable things to say about the P99. I wanted to see how pervasive that opinion is.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I think that shooting a P99, especially in .40 makes you a better shot. It's not that easy to put double taps in COM or the head when doing IPDA type matches. Still I manage to hold my own against guys with 1911s, some more modified than others. Mostly because my P99 ALWAYS WORKS. It never ever fails. There are always 1911s balking. Guys with Glocks also have zero reliability problems.

I have shot some of these tricked out 1911s after the match and they are sweet sweet guns. Trivial to aim and when you pull the trigger the hole appears where intended. I think they used some underloaded .45 ammo though, recoil was so much lighter than my P99. In any case, my goal of the match is not to compete but to become better with my combat handgun, P99. I already outshoot quite a few 1911s with my P99, if we traded guns I'd be walking all over them. I'll also say there are a few guys with 1911s ray-guns that will outshoot me no matter what gun they have. I'm not *that* good :)

In any event, I've truly begun to appreciate the reliability and combat accuracy of the P99 after I started participating in matches. Glocks have been similar but I like the P99AS trigger much much better so it's not an option unless I'm thinking 10mm or .45.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You've hit on a good point here. Matches, either USPSA, IDPA, or steel are not only fun and good practice, they highlight both the attributes and flaws of each design (also serve as a stage for those who cannot properly reload ammunition, but that's another story). It's as close to a laboratory as we're going to get to test different guns. Although I don't view th P99 as a "match" gun, I think it could hold its own in USPSA production in the right hands. I view it as a top tier defensive pistol with several well thought out features.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts