Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to buy a Remington 1911 R1S from a friend. New in box about 100 bucks cheaper than anywhere I checked. I'm not familiar with this 1911, but have read very good reviews. Any comments? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I like mine:

Factory 7 round mags are crap. ALWAYS on every single mag, it jammed on the penultimate round, but not the last one. Go with Wilson Combat 8 round ones.

Sights dovetails are machined to specs unique to this model, so you're stuck with the white dots it comes with. They're pretty good though, and both drift-adjustable.

Everything feels solid and machined*, it fills the hand nicely and is a joy to shoot.

* whoops. I forgot. The mainspring housing it comes with is a polymer part and I replaced with a vintage metal one.

And the extended slide release is a Wilson Combat, I think.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks KAR. Read about the mag problem. Almost everything researched said go with the Wilson. Other than that, most say a solid and dependable shooter for a "simple" 1911. Price point for me probably has me sold. Most I've seen in stainless go 575-630 bucks. I'm getting it much cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
7,317 Posts
Amazed to hear GI mags caused trouble; I use nothing else in my Colts. (Full disclosure; I shoot nothing but ball). The 8 round Wilsons have great rep, their only issue being cost.
Remington has been tripping over their own feet the last while, but they should know how to build a 1911, and the price is right.
Kar', I'm guessing the poly mainspring housings should have some natural lubricity, but I like steel ones better too.
Moon

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bought it last Friday. New in box 450 bucks. Cleaned yesterday, range today. 100 rounds of cheap ball ammo. Took me approx. 30 rounds getting use to trigger and sights. After all said and done, I'm a happy camper. Started hitting target mostly left of center and high. After a grip and trigger finger adjustment, started bringing rounds where they should be on target. Did all this at 12 yards. No hiccups!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Amazed to hear GI mags caused trouble; I use nothing else in my Colts...
Modern Remington factory mags caused problems in the modern Remington.

Sloppy GI mags will work fine in a sloppy GI 1911s. You know, the kind that sound like a baby rattle when you shake it.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Bought it last Friday. New in box 450 bucks. Cleaned yesterday, range today. 100 rounds of cheap ball ammo. Took me approx. 30 rounds getting use to trigger and sights. After all said and done, I'm a happy camper. Started hitting target mostly left of center and high. After a grip and trigger finger adjustment, started bringing rounds where they should be on target. Did all this at 12 yards. No hiccups!
The Walther PPQ is the modern pistol with the best factory trigger, often described as "almost as good as a 1911." ;)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have heard this new Remington is fine. However, the name "Remington" is not so synonymous with 1911's as you might imagine. Rem-UMC made 1911'as for WWI, and REMINGTON-RAND (the typewriter company), made them for WWII, so "Remington Arms" hasn't really made them for a long while, and probably had to re-gear totally to produce these new ones.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Truth be told.... in WW2 everyone was making them. Even Sears.

The he idea was that every single part was inter changeable. As a result there are originals out there with parts from multiple manufacturers.

As to new 1911s, Remington, Ruger, and Springfield routinely cited for making gpod lower end models.

There are many many others out there and it’s kind of hard to mess up.

The difference in triggers between a a 1911 and a PPQ is very different. A 1911 is single action only.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
IMO, a 1911 is the only semi-auto with a trigger close to the crispness of a quality revolver in SA mode. Although the PPQ trigger gets lots of well-deserved accolades, it is not (yet?) comparable with a 1911.

As for the Remington, I have not handled one, so I cannot speak to the price versus value. However, $450 NIB is awfully tempting if you are not quite sure that you want to dive into the world of the 1911. Be forewarned, the 1911 platform can be addictive, especially (IMO) once you venture outside the traditional .45 caliber. I have one each in .22 and 9mm, plus the obligatory .45, and they are all a ton of fun!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Truth be told.... in WW2 everyone was making them. Even Sears.

The he idea was that every single part was inter changeable. As a result there are originals out there with parts from multiple manufacturers.

As to new 1911s, Remington, Ruger, and Springfield routinely cited for making gpod lower end models.

There are many many others out there and it’s kind of hard to mess up.

The difference in triggers between a a 1911 and a PPQ is very different. A 1911 is single action only.
I think you might mean Singer, instead of Sears, as in sewing machines. Sears made holsters for the 1911, though. And you CAN mess up a 1911, as some manufacturers in the past used to drill the holes in the frames incorrectly (angled, wrong location, etc), and "fixing" the problem was a nightmare. Essex comes to mind. But, that was in a time before CNC and CAD, so machining methods are much more accurate now.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Thanks for the correction. It was Singer but you could buy one at SEARS 🙂

Any modem company that can’t make a 1911 shouldn’t be making anything. It’s a 110 year design.

·
Super Moderator
7,317 Posts
Modern Remington factory mags caused problems in the modern Remington.

Sloppy GI mags will work fine in a sloppy GI 1911s. You know, the kind that sound like a baby rattle when you shake it.

Kar', re-reading this, and I have no idea where the notion of GI mags came from.
That said, GIs run fine in my Colts, Gummint to Gold Cup.

Mike, understand your comment, but I've been amazed how well some offshore 1911s have run for me. The gun was designed for some degree of handfitting (the barrel link especially), and cheap labor/early 20th Century manufacturing is available offshore.
The fact that manufacturers, from a typewriter maker to a railway fixture builder, could make 1911s is more evidence of this.
Moon

Moon

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts

The fact that manufacturers, from a typewriter maker to a railway fixture builder, could make 1911s is more evidence...

Moon
I see it as evidence that it wasn't easy or simple. The history of WWII production of M1911A1 pistols is a well-documented long-running saga of missteps and frustration. It's all in Clawson's and in Meadows' books.

It was not simple even for well-established firms like Remington Rand and Union Switch & Signal with very substantial facilities, long industrial experience and trained personnel already at hand. They did not immediately achieve production consistently acceptable to the Army, even with the benefit of full engineering drawings, production processes, and able subcontractors for various components. Even prior gunmaking experience was no assurance of success --Ithaca seemed usually to be behind the 8-ball.

If you want to fully understand what it takes to produce a good-quality M1911A1, buy a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's Colt .45 Automatic Shop Manual. It's an eye-opener.*

M

* Or should be for those who imagine it's a snap to reverse-engineer an M1911 without original drawings or process sheets.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
And then we see a working example of a hand built 1911 or TT-33 come out of a one man shop in the Khyber Pass. Go figure.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I couldn't answer what the "best" 1911 is. So many to choose from with varied options. I think for my price it couldn't be beat. I've seen several for sale over the years double or triple my price. But for a range gun, suits my needs very well. Hell, I might even use it as an additional home defense weapon. And I might consider an additional purchase down the road.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
And I might consider an additional purchase down the road.
If you get the bug, try one in 9mm, they are a blast. Just don’t tell your 1911-purist friends (sacrilegious) ;)

Reactions: halfmoonclip

·
Registered
5,145 Posts

Not so much. The PPQ is a SAO as well. It's just striker fired..

The pulling of the trigger releases the striker...it's already fully cocked from the moment the slide is retracted. ;):)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts