Walther Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Today I took my Colt 1911 22 Gold Cup Trophy with me to the range along with my Volquartsen Black Mamba. I was shooting a Steel Challenge Match with the Mamba but wanted to test the GC to see if I did a good trigger job.

Things went pretty well but I still had hammer follow twice out of 7 magazines. I'm going in the right direction and should have the problem solved this week. It all has to do with the center leaf of the sear spring. I think I need a little more tension so I'm going to replace the Wilson Combat Spring with a Cylinder & Slide.

The C&S spring is a little stiffer and I know it works but trigger pull is heavier. Once I fire a few hundred rounds without a problem I'll try bending the sear spring's center leaf to get the disconnector to act faster.

This gun is a dream to shoot. It feels just like a 1911 but there is no recoil. It's very accurate and of all the rounds I shot I only had one miss shooting a couple of the Steel Challenge Stages.

Next month's club match will be abbreviated so I intend to shoot the 1911 22 and see what I can do with it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm getting there but still need work.

I was getting hammer follow again today even though when I dry fire test at home the gun works find. Live fire is a different story and the hammer goes forward about every other shot. I fired one magazine and put the gun away.

Fortunately I always bring two guns so it wasn't a waisted trip.

When I got home I re-installed the OEM parts because I know they work. I then decided to start over again with spring tension and put a new Cylinder & Slide light weight sear spring in the gun. I don't want to mess with the stock spring so that I can always go back to original.

With the new spring I was still getting unexceptable pulls so I played with re-forming the spring. I must have played 100 times before I finally got it to consistently be under 5 pounds. I'd like to get it in the threes but I want to make sure it works the way it is now.

From my investigations the C & S spring kit may not work. The pivot pins may not be 100 % the same as a standard Colt. I have a few more options to try and I ordered a new sear from EGW that is slightly longer, designed just for the problem I'm having. I hope that works. next will be a new hammer etc...

I'm stubborn. I can take a S & W revolver apart and get the pull under 5 pounds double action with 100 % reliability so although working on a 1911 is new to me I'm not a complete beginner.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts