Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would really like to have a few 16rd mags, but do they function properly when one is already in the chamber? Why did Walther stop producing them anyway?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Yes.

The only reason I can see is that the new magazines have ribs in them to make them sturdier and may be because of the room the ribs take up, a 16th round is not possible any more. The ribs were added because the old mags had a tendency to bow out.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Savage Tactical @ Jan. 24 2006,20:36)]Why did Walther stop producing them anyway?
Well good question.... From what I was told the story goes like this..... on the 16 round when not here and there some of the amo was taken out for a longer period(like over night) the spring became lame .. and then in a situation where you needed your amo, the spring would be worn out and not push all the amo up .. so they made them as 15 rounds so the spring would not be compressed so hard all the time

·
Registered
8 Posts
My experience with the 16 rounders is with many of these magazines, it can be very difficult, or sometimes near-impossible, to shove the fully-loaded (all 16 rds) magazine into the grip with the slide forward and have the magazine catch engage properly.  I have function tested all of my 16 round magazines as I would deploy them in a self-defense scenario, and I trust my 16 round magazines with my life.  However, the 16 round magazines used as reloads (on my belt) are only loaded with 15 rounds (so the magazine latches in place every time, whether doing a tactical or a slide-lock reload).

JM2CW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts