Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a great exchange with a gentleman from NJ from who I will be making a trade.

In our conversation we were talking about the NJ Sate Police and how they were the group that originally spec'd out the HKP7H8 beacause they wanted an American-type mag release on the PSP. In any event he mentioned that the Police recently looked at S&W99 as a sidearm and eventually rejected them. Apparently the hi-cap max in NJ is 15 rounds and S&W had to modify the 16 rounders to meet their specs. The modified mags would not function in a flawless manner.

Maybe this is the reason that the factory mags are now 15 rather than 16--a redesign of the original mags.

Interesting possibility.

·
Registered
72 Posts
PLEASE correct me if I am wrong but:

1. Walther "downloaded" the magazines to 15 rounds because some customers were having trouble inserting a full 16 round magazine with the slide closed.

2. The only difference is the spring and the follower, so you can turn your 15 round mags into 16 round mags if you like.

3. No one is having trouble with the 15 round 9mm magazines.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Tabor,
From what I have read, you are correct......Walther decreased the number of rounds in the magazine to reduce the pressures inserting it and racking the slide back for the first time. They had no luck playing with the spring tension and the last few rounds were not feeding properly with a weaker spring.

They are also decreasing the .40 from the standard 12 to 11 rounds.

This would have not have been necessary if everyone would have used some common sense and loaded their mags 2 rounds shy of their capacity like some experts have been advising for years.

JF

·
Registered
53 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This would have not have been necessary if everyone would have used some common sense and loaded their mags 2 rounds shy of their capacity like some experts have been advising for years.
Especially if you want to keep the spring in good shape for a long period and you keep your magazines loaded.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Prehaps I was not clear. The current 15 round mags have been re-designed for a variety of reasons, some commented on here.

I was referring to the original 16 round LEO mags that S&W altered specifically for NJ. They did not work well, hence the new 15 round design of follower and spring. In the meantime, some LE lost interest and moved on to other, more proven designs.

I have not heard of complaints of the original factory 16 round mags that were LEO-marked. I have one of the original 16 rounders an have no problem inserting it in the P99, with or without the slide open and it feeds every cartridge perfectly. However it only has a few hundred rounds through it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts