Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a 66yo vet and in my lifetime I guess at one time or another I've owned just about every modern pistol cartridge there is except a 10mm. For those that own one or have shot one, what is your opinion other than the price of ammo?
I've been looking at the 16 shot XD at Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore for $549. But, I've never owned a Springfield nor the 10mm. If you wanted a 10mm just because you didn't have one, is that a good weapon? Please feel free with any comments. I would be buying it just to take to the range and shoot or even maybe a full time truck gun. Thanks,

Jim D
SE Texas

Premium Member
I've had a Colt Delta Elite for about two years now and really like it. I haven't tried every brand of ammo there is but 180gr has a recoil similar to .357 Magnum from a four inch revolver. 200gr is much heavier. The only hollow points that I've tried are Federal Hydra Shok and those fed just fine. I haven't noticed any bulged brass.

After I bought mine I rented a Glock 40. To my surprise it had a softer recoil than my Delta. That would be a good choice if you're thinking about putting a red dot on it. If you're open to revolvers there's also the Ruger GP100.

Attachments

Registered
The 10mm is a really fun round to shoot. What many don鈥檛 know is the history behind the round.

It鈥檚 a stout round though most store bought ammo are not. Most of what you find in the store are FBI loads.

In the 1980s the FBI was looking for a new round. The 9mm was not enough. After much testing, they picked the 10mm. However, most of the agents could not pass the range test. The recoil was too awful.

As a result the 40mm was born to match to essentially be an even weaker version of the 10mm FBI load.

As a fun gun, 10mm is great. As far as ammo cost, I think most people will find that even if the ammo was cheap you won鈥檛 shoot 200 to 400 rounds at a range session anyway.

I also think 10mm is very interesting as a PCC platform too. I think it has energy around 700 ft lbs. About double a 9mm round and about the same as a .357 Mag. What could be more fun than that?

Registered
I've shot the Delta Elite and Bren Ten, with true "Norma" spec loaded 10mm ammo (POWERFUL!), Seemed beyond the limits of the Browning "tilting barrel" design, IMHO.

The VAST majority of 10mm ammo on the market is NOT loaded to the true "Norma" load spec. It's easy to find the hot stuff, just start by paying the same price (or MORE) as full load 50AE ammo.

I was considering a Dan Wesson 10mm in Feb this year, went with this and NEVER looked back (the Honey Badger)........

Attachments

Reactions: BCD45

Registered
I've shot the Delta Elite and Bren Ten, with true "Norma" spec loaded 10mm ammo (POWERFUL!), Seemed beyond the limits of the Browning "tilting barrel" design, IMHO.

The VAST majority of 10mm ammo on the market is NOT loaded to the true "Norma" load spec. It's easy to find the hot stuff, just start by paying the same price (or MORE) as full load 50AE ammo.

I was considering a Dan Wesson 10mm in Feb this year, went with this and NEVER looked back (the Honey Badger)........

Ah, I see you decided on the compact urban sniper option. :D

Registered
To answer your question, the Springfield should be fine for your use. It joins many other fine 10mm's with the Browning "tilting barrel" design, like the Glock, S&W 10xx series, SIG, and EAA Witness, etc. I'm the same age as you, and have about fifteen years experience with the 10mm, having owned a S&W 1006, two 1911 type 10's, and Glocks 29 and 20. You are going to enjoy the extra "oomph" of the 10mm over the .45, and if you handload, the 10mm is no more expensive than loading for .40 (o.k., maybe a fraction of a cent for the extra powder).

Registered
The "best" 10mm platform, in my opinion, is the Glock 20 and 29. I was into the 10mm about a decade ago, and this was pretty much common knowledge at that point.

I don't like the XD platform itself. My biggest issue with it is that the grip safety is not as pronounced as a 1911 grip safety, and it is possible to take the pistol out of the holster and hold it in a way that the grip safety would stop the pistol from firing. It also blocks the slide from moving to the rear, which makes clearing certain malfunctions more difficult, and I've heard that it doesn't take much dirt or debris to get it to stick.

Registered
A good buddy has a Dan Wesson stainless 10mm 1911 with a 5" barrel he really likes. He doesnt buy or like cheap crap and has 3-4 Dan Wessons he really likes.
I had the chance to shoot it with fairly hot loads for bear and it was a lot of fun.
Of course I enjoyed shooting his single action 475 Linebaugh pushing 400 gr hardcasts around 1400 fps as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I was surprised to find Target Sports has 50 round boxes of ammo to fun shoot for $15 to $20 per box. Now the good stuff is about $1.00 per round.

Jim D
SE Texas

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Man, both of those are some stout stuff. When Glock came out with the 10mm model 20 I believe, that's what was issued to the police department here in Baytown, TX. A lot still carry it but I have no idea what load they carry.

Jim D

Premium Member
Some of the 10mm I got to shoot in the early 90s was showing 780/790 ft/lbs thru the chrono.
That's some powerful stuff, right there. I previously owned a EAA Witness Elite Match in 10MM. I used Underwood ammo....seems like the load was advertised as 740 ft. lbs. The pistol handled that round quite well. In fact, I'm considering picking up another Elite Match in 10MM. :D

Registered
I can't speak to the 10mm but I can say without hesitation that the XD series of pistols are fine handguns. My XD never had a malfunction of any kind over the years that I owned it. If it weren't for the Walther P99c I would still have it.

Registered
I'm a 66yo vet and in my lifetime I guess at one time or another I've owned just about every modern pistol cartridge there is except a 10mm. For those that own one or have shot one, what is your opinion other than the price of ammo?
I've been looking at the 16 shot XD at Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore for $549. But, I've never owned a Springfield nor the 10mm. If you wanted a 10mm just because you didn't have one, is that a good weapon? Please feel free with any comments. I would be buying it just to take to the range and shoot or even maybe a full time truck gun. Thanks,

Jim D
SE Texas
Well, since my screen name is MakeMineA10mm, I guess I should throw in my $.02....

Most have covered generally what you need to know. Most factory ammo is loaded to 40S&W levels. DoubleTap ammo and Underwood ammo are current producers of "full-power" 10mm. Winchester Silvertips and older Norma ammo have also been loaded to full power, but power-levels have gone up and down over the years. If you really want to feel what 10mm is all about, you need to handload.

As far as pistols go, if you want to shoot the 40S&W-level loads, any handgun on the market will do. If you want to shoot full-power ammo, you will have a much better experience if you look for the following qualities:

1. Low bore-axis
2. Wide grip (double-stack)
3. Heavier slide mass (this means longer barrel)
4. Fully-supported chamber

I've had 1911 10mms and Glock 20 & 29s. My preference and recommendation for anyone interested in the full-power 10mm is to get either the Glock 40 (Longslide 10mm) or an EAA Witnessin 10mm.

Premium Member
^^^^^Yep, absolutely. And I've been toying between the EAA Witness Elite Match and the Hunter. I'm actually leaning toward the hunter for the added slide weight as well as over-all weight. The Witness is a great 10MM platform.....big and heavy with an EXCELLENT single action trigger.

Registered
Over a decade ago, I ventured into the 10mm arena. Figured it would be a good back-woods gun. Had a Glock 20.

I did not enjoy it. Too much IMO. My accuracy suffered and it wasn't enjoyable or affordable to shoot.

Then I realized it offers little in terms of any real need. A magnum revolver does the same thing, and I'd rather have a .44 or .454 magnum if I'm worried about serious back country animals.

In terms of daily carry for SD, over time I concluded that better accuracy is more important than a 10mm. I can achieve more training and more accuracy with smaller calibers.

As for a range gun to punch holes, it's just too expensive to feed.

Registered
Over a decade ago, I ventured into the 10mm arena. Figured it would be a good back-woods gun. Had a Glock 20.

I did not enjoy it. Too much IMO. My accuracy suffered and it wasn't enjoyable or affordable to shoot.

Then I realized it offers little in terms of any real need. A magnum revolver does the same thing, and I'd rather have a .44 or .454 magnum if I'm worried about serious back country animals.

In terms of daily carry for SD, over time I concluded that better accuracy is more important than a 10mm. I can achieve more training and more accuracy with smaller calibers.

As for a range gun to punch holes, it's just too expensive to feed.
That鈥檚 pretty true other than the 10 is more widely available as a semi auto.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts