Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and not a single hiccup..

bought a 2006 P99 AS a few months ago.. hit the thousand round mark today without a hitch. not a single failure to feed,fire or eject

have put a bunch of different ammo through, ranging in price from cheap and dirty to the best stuff in stock at my local

i put a lot of research into buying my first pistol.. im farking glad i chose the P99 despite a few people (who'd never handled one) trying to talk me out of it

i love this gun

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sounds like a keeper! It really is an exceptional gun, too bad Walther doesn't market them very effectively over here... :mad:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It really is, I like them better than the Glocks I was using before but damn, I have to chase the guns to buy one. It's like a secret club!
Yes. While others venture to the "dark side" we Walther owners are members of the Illuminati:cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was asking questions about the P99 on another forum.. doing a bit of pre-purchase research. some guy told me not to bother with German pistols.. told me to buy an American made pistol.. like the Glock

man i hope he was joking.. on both counts

·
Registered
10 Posts
1500+ rounds

1500 rounds = no issue!

My best friend has a Sigma .40 and the first time we went to the range he had 4 fail to fire (soft strike)on his weapon and 2 fail to extract on the Walther (he limp wristed it). I have not had 1 feed, fire, extract issue. I LOVE THIS WEAPON!!!

I was in the ARMY for 8 years and we were issued the Berretta M9 (9mm). The Walther is lighter, better grip (adjustable) and is quicker to recover from firing.

The only annoyance I have, which is due to poor PM, is carbon deposits near the muzzle. I have soaked the barrel in nitro-solvent (Hoppe's #9). But they will not budge. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
43 Posts
The only annoyance I have, which is due to poor PM, is carbon deposits near the muzzle. I have soaked the barrel in nitro-solvent (Hoppe's #9). But they will not budge. Any recommendations?[/QUOTE]

Where in the bore are these "carbon deposits"? On the lands, grooves or between? Have you scrubbed it thoroughly with a bore brush and swabbed it out with a tight fitting patch?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Where in the bore are these "carbon deposits"? On the lands, grooves or between? Have you scrubbed it thoroughly with a bore brush and swabbed it out with a tight fitting patch?
They are about 1/4" from the muzzle, between the land/groove. the interesting thing is that the deposits are only on the trailing edge of the groove/leading edge of the land. (traveling down the barrel like a bullet it would be on the left of the groove).

I have scrubbed with a nylon brush, brass brush and many one way passes with a steal brush (those things make me nervous), and used countless number of patches.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I practice weekly and compete monthly with my P99.
I can say that I am the only guy in our area (consisting of 8 gun clubs) that uses a P99 for competition.
Most of the competitors around here used Glock.

I havent encountered any jam with my gun, except when I used reloads with a 115 gran head and 3.6 grain powder I had cycle problem.( vihtavouri powder N320.) When I increase the load to 3.9 the cycle problem dissappeared

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I havent encountered any jam with my gun, except when I used reloads with a 115 gran head and 3.6 grain powder I had cycle problem.(
Yeah that was the same problem I first encountered and it is was also during the breakin period so I should have been using factory stuff. My loads were with Unique. But finally after a few hundred rounds and tweeking the powder charge some...no problems.

As per your bore....

http://www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html

·
Registered
18 Posts
yeah this gun seems like its as good then a glock but yet its not nearly as popular, don t get me wrong i really like the glock but i thinkt he only reason they are so popular is that they put a lot of money to be in all those movies and being advertised. also they are a lil cheaper.

and i have a lil less then a 1000 rounds in mine, and only had 2 hickups when i 1st shot it, i didn t shot in a few years so it took me a couple days to get used to it again but ever since not a single problem i love that thing

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
yeah this gun seems like its as good then a glock but yet its not nearly as popular
Marketing, everything hinges upon marketing. Walther has such a rabid following, based upon sheer design and function, just imagine what it would be like if they marketed as well as Glock....:eek:

·
Registered
358 Posts
I practice weekly and compete monthly with my P99.
I can say that I am the only guy in our area (consisting of 8 gun clubs) that uses a P99 for competition.
Most of the competitors around here used Glock.

I havent encountered any jam with my gun, except when I used reloads with a 115 gran head and 3.6 grain powder I had cycle problem.( vihtavouri powder N320.) When I increase the load to 3.9 the cycle problem dissappeared
Is your walther a race gun, or is it stock? I saw one walther with some massive slide modifications.

Anyways who ever was the dip_____ that told you don't buy German, buy American in firearms is a ignorant human.

1. Most of my pistols including my walthers are well over 10K no issues.

2. German firearms have been the pinical of design and perfection pretty much from the advent of the modern firearm.

3. Ask that dope where his wonderful glock design came from.

4. Although recently designs have far surpassed what they use to, I can look back on Ruger, S&W, Springfield etc and every company had some issue with some pistol. I am not talking about a defect, but some pretty serious design issues leading to malfunctions.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Is your walther a race gun, or is it stock? I saw one walther with some massive slide modifications.
Not meaning to hijack this thread but I shoot USPSA and I have only seen one other Walther only shooting in the Production class...I am curious, can you describe the mods that you saw?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2nd P99 for my wife

Got my second P99 for my wife. its a second hand unit that hasnt passed thru the 500 break-in rounds. I was in the range and I dont recommend using a 115 head for the gun break-in period. I experience a few cycle failure with it. I guess it just shows it was never been used that extensively by the previous owner. The finish of the gun is brand new.

·
Registered
71 Posts
clp

breakfree clp, let the barrel soak for 15 minutes, scrub with brush and repeat, by the 3rd or 4th try your barrel will look like new.:)

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Not meaning to hijack this thread but I shoot USPSA and I have only seen one other Walther only shooting in the Production class...I am curious, can you describe the mods that you saw?
It might be one of these mods Earl if offering....
it is a barrelwight/compensator that only works with the threaded barrel...
but I am just geussing here..... some 6 months or so ago there was one on gunbroker

·
Registered
10 Posts
The only annoyance I have, which is due to poor PM, is carbon deposits near the muzzle. I have soaked the barrel in nitro-solvent (Hoppe's #9). But they will not budge. Any recommendations?

I aqquired a foaming cleaner, using it several times. The deposits consisted of copper/lead fouling. I have been using UMC packs (250 rounds each) and they are FMJ.

Glad to say the weapon is squeeky clean and has another 1000 rounds through it. I have tried many different types of self defence ammo without any troubles. Very accurate, verry beautiful and very clean...

Thanks for the pointers guys!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts