Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i was reading on the Beretta forum where some guys did a 3 year test of different firearms, and the Walther P99 functioned perfect, no problems in 100,000 rounds.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Don't want to rain on anybody's parade but............. a few facts to keep in mind

A test like that would cost over $19,000 in the ammo bill alone { one gun }............. divided by 3 years still puts the cost at $6,333.00 per gun a year. The poster claimed he spent only $9,000 over 3 years for his 9mm -- I guess he was able find 9mm ammo at $4.50 a box of 50 for 3 years running.
No $$ amount was given for the .40 cal Walther for the ammo.

An awful lot of money to spend shooting or testing one gun.These guys claimed to be average "Joes". I wonder if they realized the shooting rate they would have to maintain during those 3 years ?? see below -

I have seen tests like this done....but usually by Gov't agencies who have unlimited access to the tax payer's money...... so the ammo cost is of little worry. <smile>

To give you some idea of the shooting rate ...the tester would have to shoot about 14 boxes of ammo [ 50 rd count ]
every week without fail for three years. If he misses a week -- the following week he would have to shoot 28 boxes of ammo and so on .............and so on.......

The test I saw....taking a gun over the 100,000 round count was done by two professionals that were "paid" to fire the weapon 8 hours a day.......every day !!! They would take turns during the 8 hour shift

Now I ask you......how do you apply for that job <smile> !!

The P-99 is a very strong and reliable weapon.........

JF.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I used to buy Blazer 9mm Aluminum for $3.95/50 at Academy. Now it's up to $4.95/50 so that part's doable. Then again, that person may have a Dillon 1050 in his gun room and loaded up cheap ammo by the case. I've seen it done by a few competition shooters, including one of my gunsmiths.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Nice to see a bit of critical thinking Sniper. You can't believe everything you read, especially on the internet...

·
Registered
189 Posts
While the idea of shooting all day every day may sound great... it may not be all that you imagine.

I caught a special on "The Military Channel" about the making of the Beretta M9 and they showed a guy (Beretta USA employee) doing this failure check while being observed by an official government employee to validate the results. It was a very small room, (most public restrooms are bigger) with sound insulation blankets on the walls. The BUSA guy was shooting into a hole in the wall (sticking the pistol into it to catch brass) at approx waist height and popping off rounds as quickly as possible.... over and over and over again. No drills, no range, no targets, no aiming... just bustin' caps.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You would think something like that could be automated.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Leave it to the federal gov't to mess up what could have been cool project ! -smile-

I saw the Secret Service failure test 4 semi-auto's out to the 100,000 rds mark............. but at least they took the opportunity to rotate their teaching staff at the Beltsville Facility through the shooting schedule to gain some valuable hands-on practice.

Were they good ?? Well...an Instructor picked up my gun [ a S&W revolver not being tested ] and asked how it was shooting. I told him it hit slightly to the right at 1 O'clock being fixed sights. He asked how much ? I said about 1/2 inch at 25 feet. He loaded one round into the gun and raised the revolver. My target was locked in an "end on" position as we were shooting some time trials. I was just about to ask him if he wanted me to turn the target ..........when he fired ...... cutting the target completely in half. As the lower half of the target drifted to the Range floor........ he put the gun down and said your "right" and walked away ! I just scratched my head -- we were using +P .38 SJHP's ....... training "like we fight" , so calculating bullet width, there was not much room for error ! I guess nothing beats practice.

JF.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Well if Bob Munden can do it with playing cards I guess someone can do it with a hanging paper target...but could he do it best out of six shots? But I guess he didn't have to did he?

Well, I guess I will just keep practicing...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts