Walther Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 2 pre-ban 15 round mags that I bought with my 007 model and regular P99 9mm when they were first imported. Not willing to sell, but they do exist. I bought mine directly from Earl when I bought the 007.

However, I am looking for 10 round mags to go with them. My 10 round mags went when I sold my regular P99.

TAZDEVIL

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Again, see above (post No. 41). You'll want to place a WTB advert in the appropriate spot in the Trading Post section of the forum. Please read the Rules of Engagement before you post.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I have 2 pre-ban 15 round mags that I bought with my 007 model and regular P99 9mm when they were first imported. Not willing to sell, but they do exist. I bought mine directly from Earl when I bought the 007.

However, I am looking for 10 round mags to go with them. My 10 round mags went when I sold my regular P99.

TAZDEVIL
Thanks for replying to this thread. I keep an eye on it hoping for additional information.
I guess the Mods sensed a WTB message. However, the information you supplied in regards to owning two 15 round Pre-Ban magazines gives me another clue in trying to determine if my 15 round Magazine is in fact Pre- Ban. Especially since you bought them from Earls. I had a pretty lengthy phone conversation with Earl in regards to Pre-Ban magazines. I described my 15 round magazine to him. Though he could not offer any information as to it's origin and date of production, he told me that there was no such thing as a Pre-Ban 15 round magazine. He said that Pre-Ban Mags were 16 round only. Perhaps I misunderstood him. I certainly could have made that mistake. Or possibly because he knew I was wanting Pre-Ban Mags it was was an attempt to sell me the 16 round Pre-Bans which he seems to have a lot of. If my memory is correct he said he imported them in the ten's of thousands.
Anyway, thanks again and if you have any more information feel free to post it here or PM me.
Just as a matter of conversation, I have several 10 round Mags. However like you I am keeping them as I live in NY and have no clue what will happen here from day to day. Right now the limit to 7 rounds in a Mag. Seems to be on indefinite hold and there has been legislation recently introduced to repeal the latest NY gun laws. As I spend about 6 months a year outside of NY I continue to seek information in regards to the 15 round magazine I own.
DD

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
If and I am just saying if a ban does go into effect, as with the 94 ban on high cap Mags you will find them and lots of them at firearm shows for $100+ Trust me it will happen...If...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
DD - I checked mine tonight and they are 16 round mags. Not sure why I keep thinking they were 15 round mags. Yes, Earl bought a lot of them. I work for another dealer and back in the 90's helped Earl occasionally when my tables were slow but well manned and he was on his own.

Good luck in NY. We already have special licenses for high capacity in MA. I bought mine after the requirement and have already been drilled by the Chief of Police in how I got mine. Made it through the drill.

TAZDEVIL

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Somebody facile needs to patiently explain to me --as you would to a 9-year-old, because I get easily confused-- how there could be any high-capacity "pre-ban" magazines sold with P99s before September 13, 1994, when the first P99 prototype (then called the "HLP") did not arrive in the USA until 31 May 1995, the first pre-production guns with V-serial numbers did not arrive until July 1996, and the first production guns not until October 1996.

M

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Somebody facile needs to patiently explain to me --as you would to a 9-year-old, because I get easily confused-- how there could be any high-capacity "pre-ban" magazines sold with P99s before September 13, 1994, when the first P99 prototype (then called the "HLP") did not arrive in the USA until 31 May 1995, the first pre-production guns with V-serial numbers did not arrive until July 1996, and the first production guns not until October 1996.

M
I asked the same question Mike. Your thoughts were my thoughts exactly.
However, after much researching and communicating with others, I have found that there is an existing belief that there were in fact magazines made for the P99 prior to the ban. ( A belief by some at least ).
With the new laws in NewYorkistan even a Pre-ban magazine that holds more than 10 rounds is illegal. So it is a moot point for me at this juncture in time. My one regular capacity magazine for my P99 resides outside the boundaries of the State. This is a fairly old thread so I forget some of the information contained herein.
But, back to your question. From the depths of my mind I remember that one of the theories was that magazines were made for Turkish use even before the pistol went into service. I also remember something about Earl having the foresight to import some magazines before the ban was placed in effect. Quite a large number of them in fact. I don't know. Did the cart get manufactured before the horse was available?
Earl claims that there are in fact "pre-ban" magazines for the P99. I think I remember that he even goes so far as to say he was the only importer allowed to bring them into the US. Some sort of special dispensation from the Feds.
Recently someone started a thread about their visit to "Earl's". It appears as though he is very much in the loop in regards to Walther products and is himself quite an accomplished individual.
I have never met him. I did have a pretty lengthy conversation with him on the phone. He was articulate and willing to spend a good deal of time speaking to me. Thus, I am not in a position to question his credibility.
That is all I know. I stopped my quest for the elusive pre-ban magazine when the laws changed in my unconstitutional State.
I will say that the magazine I own that is kept outside NewYorkistan does appear to be rather different. Witness holes on the sides, no V like indentation, no LEO or military marking and clearly marked Walther, P99 made in Italy by Mecgar. It is a 15 round magazine as evidenced by the witness holes and the number of rounds that can be placed in it. It is not a 16 round magazine.
That is all I know.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
However, after much researching and communicating with others, I have found that there is an existing belief that there were in fact magazines made for the P99 prior to the ban. ( A belief by some at least ).
These are the same people who believe in the tooth fairy because they found a dime under their pillow.

M

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Heres my story, in 1999 bought a P-99 ins .40S&W as soon as my dealer got 1 and it had 2 10 round mags instead of 12 rds. due to AWB.

So I called all major dealers etc about trying to get a 12 rd. mag and was told what most say here that there are none in country and if any were avail it would be illegal to sell.

Then I called R&R guns and "GUESS WHAT" he had some and I was worried and asked what others had said about being illegal and he told me he had some from before ban and were legal and how many I wanted?

I asked his price and it was either $100. or $120. per mag (cant remember for sure) but I ordered and got a NIB 12 rd. .40 cal 1 wek later and I was "Happy as He-l"!

So they do exist and it had no different markings or stamps on it!

Still have the 2 10 rds. never used in my (almost ) Junk Pile!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts