Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
The more I look at those, the more I wonder how sturdy they are. They look fragile in the picture, like they'll break off if you push too hard on them.

I'm going to have to see one in person for myself, before I make any decisions.

Thanks for the pic, DTQ!

·
Registered
53 Posts
is it purely plastic, or is there some kind of metal support inside the lever? I hope there's some support otherwise it looks very fragile.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn’t look too closely, but it seemed very sturdy and secure. I had no negative first impressions at all, seemed to be quality design, workmanship and materials. I purchased one with confidence.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well, now that I look at it a bit longer it's obvious that Walther expects us to use our trigger finger to release the mag. It therefore makes sense that the lever is within reach of your finger tip once you disengage the trigger. It looks very ergonomical and would prevent the gun from rotating in your hand when you do a quick reload. This is turn would of course be a 'good thing' ™ during a fire fight. I see no reason why they'd make this one out of plastic when the previous one is made of metal.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nocturnal @ Mar. 18 2005,8:42)]... I see no reason why they'd make this one out of plastic when the previous one is made of metal.
My AD datecoded P99 has a plastic mag release.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nocturnal @ Mar. 18 2005,6:42)]I see no reason why they'd make this one out of plastic when the previous one is made of metal.
Yes, do tell!  I've never seen a metal mag release lever on a P99.  Are you thinking P22 maybe?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm pretty sure it's metal...I'm almost positive, but i can't drive over there again for awhile, i need to work.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (DTQ @ Mar. 18 2005,9:36)]I'm pretty sure it's metal...I'm almost positive, but i can't drive over there again for awhile, i need to work.
Maybe on the new one that you're buying, but on the old ones, they are plastic.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In case anyone is interested, as of earlier today (3-16-05) the Sportsmans Warehouse in Albuquerque, NM (505-761-9900) had at least one AF P99 AS 40S&W left for sale at $550.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My AF datecoded .40 S&W P99 magazine release is plastic.

I don't think I'd be able to push hard enough with the tip of my index finger to break the lever. It's the same plastic as the frame, Both sides of the lever are wider than the width of the magazine well...

The magazine release on my P22 is metal, though...

·
Registered
310 Posts
I don't think there's any known "problem" -- all of the previous mag releases were plastic. But when you extend them to more than double the original length, then breaking them could become a concern. That's a lot of leverage to put on a small plastic piece....it could happen. Not probable, but possible.

Jim

·
Registered
555 Posts
Whoa. Is that a mag release in your trigger guard, or are you just happy to see me???

1 - 20 of 44 Posts