Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, hi to all. New P99 owner (2005 QA .40, all black) here. I've been lurking in the forum recently, but I wanted to ask a quick question.

After reading a lot of the archived threads, I noticed a lot of y'all had the same problem as my best friend. He bought an '04 model P99 AS in .40 late last year and lost both of the floorplates on his factory mags. Of course, S&W replaced them (with SW99 mags) and so far no more problems. However, since he lives hours away I haven't had a chance to compare the bottoms of my mags with his. Since the P99 doesn't seem to come with the mag tool anymore (at least, none of the boxes at my FFL had them) and since someone in an earlier thread mentioned a "little hole" in the bottom, I was curious as to whether or not Walther had redesigned them. The "hole" in the bottom of my mag isn't little, and a tool designed to push the "keeper" would have to be roughly the diameter of a ballpoint pen to remove it.

I'm including an attached scan of my mag. Is this what you guys have, or did they (seemingly) "bulk up" the buttplate?

Thanks in advance.
BlakeTyner

*Edit* Sorry for the dark quality, I don't have the software to brighten the image. If you save the pic and zoom it, it becomes clearer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I reciently replaced the flat plate with a finger grove plate on my p99c all I did was push the button with a screw driver and slide the plate keeping my thumb on the mechanism inside while I replaced the plate. Took no longer than 30 seconds

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hope this makes you feel better.

I also lost the floorplates on my magazines.  Actually, I lost the floorplates on 4 magazines!  Finally, S&W sent me 12 rounders instead of the 10 rounders that came with my gun.  Their floorplates look exactly like your picture, and since you have an 05 .40, I'm guessing you've got 12 rounders.

The guy on the phone at S&W (Mark, I think), said that they've really not had problems with the 12 round magazine floorplates.  Mine seem flawless so far, making it through at least one range trip (the 10 rounders couldn't even make it through more than 50 rounds it seemed).

I'm knocking on wood that these are okay!  By the way, I had a problem getting 12 rounds into one of my mags.  Soooo, I used a punch to push down on the little button on the flooplate whilst I slid the floorplate off toward the front of the magazine.  Keep pressure on the plate underneath the floorplate or your likely to get a spring in the eye!  Used a solvent damp patch and a toothbrush to work the inside of the magazine.  It came out brown.  Then, used a dry patch and toothbrush to get out the solvent.  Then, used an oil damp patch and toothbrush to put a light oil coating on the inside of the magazine.  Also used hoppes on the spring to get off any extra factory grease.

Bottom line, when I put everything back together, I was able to get that 12th round in no problem!!!  Of course, if you're not having that problem, then you've just wasted your time reading this!  Sorry bout that.  Enjoy your new pistol, it is quite the keeper!

-stunks

P.S. lemme know what you think about the QA trigger system.  Mine's an AS, and I'm thinking of getting a compact QA for my wife

EDIT: I forgot to mention that my 10 round floorplates looked a lot different on the bottom than yours and my new ones. They were sort of concave on the bottom.  All in all, the 12 round ones just feel more sturdy...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
My 12 round mags look just like your picture.  Even my 15 and 16 round 9mm mags look like your picture.  

I have a S&W mag that is exactly the same, except it says S&W instead of Walther.

I've had zero problems with any of my mags. 10 or 12 rounds.

·
Registered
328 Posts
My 12 rounders are the same. I've put less than 100 rounds through each mag but no problems..................................yet

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I do feel a little better, since both my mags are indeed 12 rounders.

Regarding the QA trigger: as I said, my buddy has an AS, which I was able to shoot before I went and bought mine (unfortunately, the nearest gun shop is 45 miles away...I live in a very small town) and kind of get a feel for.

The AS is a good design. I particularly like the fact that even a de-cocked gun will go boom when you pull the trigger. My father was a loyal revolver man, and to date I have been as well. My "main squeeze" up till now has been my Ruger Speed Six .357. Recently I got a really good deal on a Taurus PT111 (and yes, I'm aware that people think it's a crap gun...I've enjoyed the heck out of mine). That, in turn, upped my trust of autoloading handguns and polymer models in particular. Since the days of "Tomorrow Never Dies" I've lusted after the "new Walther."

Okay, all that said...

I had the choice of a 2004 AS or a 2005 QA. I knew the AS was no longer going to be available, and since my buddy has one I knew its merits. Second strike is over-rated...that did not affect my decision at all. I don't have a Glock, so the "Glock-like" quality of the QA is, to me, much more "revolver", which I like. I also decided that I don't mind having a gun that, when de-cocked, wouldn't shoot when the trigger is pulled. For carry it will be "half cocked" at all times anyway. I feel much more comfortable with a "half cocked" striker than I would a "full cocked" AS type. Plus, as a revolver man, I especially appreciate the consistant trigger pull with every shot.

Bottom line....a gun is a tool and, even with our beloved P99, not a one-size-fits-all. Like most here, I'd say rent one or borrow one and put a few rounds through it...see how it feels. For me, the QA was the perfect choice...for others...*shrug*

I also wanted to comment and say that I really like the cordial atmosphere at this board. I've read about 45 pages of topics, and you guys conduct yourselves VERY well.

Later,
BlakeTyner

·
Registered
328 Posts
Classy guns............Classy guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts