Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking on this forum and will be my first post as I need a little help in choosing my first P99. I have two choices -  '02 Ti P99 or '04 Black P99 AS. Both are brand new.

A few questions please.
-I think these are both D/A first shot then S/A succeeding shots. Is this correct?
-I read somewhere that some prefer the *older* P99s vs. an '04. Is this mainly aesthetics?
-The guide rod is made of plastic. Any concern here?

I can live with either Ti or all Black so that wont be the deal maker.
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Yes, the pistols you mentioned are DA for the first shot (unless cocked) and then SA for the following shots.  Also on the AS, the first shot, regardless of whether cocked or not the trigger remains in a forward position.  The following shots have a travel of .314 inches whereas the first shot has a travel of .551 inches.  It's a feature that is supposed to reduce the odds of an accidental discharge or reflex firing.  I do not recall if the original standard model had this "travel" feature.

Some, like me, prefer the older style for aesthetic reasons.  The main functional advantage in the design of the newer model is that it has a Weaver (universal) accessory rail.  The older style had a proprietary rail system that was limiting for those who intended to use it.  The newer model also has a more aggressive slide serration pattern for a more "positive grip and improved slide racking."  (I didn't have a problem with the previous version's slide serration, but everyone is different.)  Lastly, the newer model has removed the hump inside the trigger guard that was supposed to aid the shooter, but wasn't really useful and annoyed some.  

The guide rod is plastic.  I haven't had any trouble or heard of any trouble with that.  I know there are some metal ones floating around here and there if it is a concern for you.

Good luck on your purchase...

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Looks like Breaker's got it pretty much covered. To add a bit:

Take a look at the other threads, there's one on the guide rod that I started.
The only other consideration I can think of is the floorplates on the '02. There have been many incidences of them breaking on the older 40 cal models. Look for cracking. Good luck.

·
Registered
539 Posts
New .40 floorplates crack as well. I'd say the magazines have improved though. The ones with orange followers don't keep the slide open after the last shot when it's cold out. The blue (new) ones work great.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The more I look at the '04 P99's the more I like the look. I have three older style P99's, but I may have to pick up an '04(after I get the compact, that is). My favorite is still the older style QPQ, which looks even better when swapped with the military frame, in my opinion anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts