TPH Magazine won't load - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther Rimfire & CO2 Pistols

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2019, 08:42 PM  

gman26 .22
TPH Magazine won't load

Hey everyone. I picked up a Walther TPH in 22LR manufactured in stainless steel by Interarms the other week. It shoots CCI Stingers pretty well, and I just put a few hundred rounds of CCI Minimags through it and it worked very well with those. However, today near the end of a few hundred rounds it suddenly had an issue where the magazine (walther factory mag) wouldn't load. I took it home, cleaned it, and reassembled it and it still won't load the magazine. If I take 1 round out though it loads fine. It also loads my cheapo Triple K magazines fine, but those have issues with misfeeds sometimes.

Anyone know what might be the problem? The plastic bottom part of the magazine doesn't seem broken or anything.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:34 PM  

DE Pistole .22
does "won't load" mean the mag "won't lock" in place when you insert it in the mag well? did you disassemble and clean the mag?

Last edited by DE Pistole; 10-12-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:53 PM  
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
I'm thinkin' substitute 'feed' for 'load'. That's just a guess.

Or, maybe he's having a hard time seating a fully loaded mag on a closed slide....remove one round and its a piece-0-cake. If that's the case, insert the fully loaded mag with the slide locked back.

Still guessing.

Old 10-12-2019, 10:01 PM  

DE Pistole .22
with all those rounds fired, the mag spring should be easier to compress against a closed slide rather than harder.

if you took the mag apart, did you reinsert the mag spring with the correct fit/alignment against the follower?
Old 10-12-2019, 10:24 PM  

gman26 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DE Pistole View Post
does "won't load" mean the mag "won't lock" in place when you insert it in the mag well? did you disassemble and clean the mag?
Yeah, there's a very tiny gap where the mag won't load all the way if it has 6 rounds in it. I haven't disassembled the magazine yet. Here's what it looks like:

[Edit:] I just tried loading the magazine again while pulling the slide back and it fully seated. Now it's seating all the way in even if I don't pull the slide back. Odd...

So I loaded 1 round in the chamber, put it on safe, and tried loading another 6 round magazine. Back to the magazine not loading all the way. I guess I could disassemble it, but it seems fine.

Last edited by gman26; 10-12-2019 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:54 AM  
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
gman, I don't know what to tell ya. Other than, its not a good idea to insert a round into the chamber then close the slide. That means the extractor claw has to bump into and jump over the rim of the case when you close the mag. This can result in possible extractor damage, not to mention that the primer in a 22 is in the outer edge of the rim....that's why it referred to as 'rimfire'. Think about that one for a minute.

I'd say NEVER insert a live round in a pistol and then slam the slide closed. In a center fire, you can damage the extractor. In a rim fire, you can actually fire the cartridge.

If you want to load a round into the chamber, then load/insert 'one' cartridge into a magazine, insert the magazine into the magwell, rack the slide one time and that'll strip the round from the magazine and push it (load it) into the chamber.

Now, remove the magazine and load the magazine with cartridges. Reinsert the magazine into the magwell.

You're good to go, with 'one in the chamber'.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:36 AM  
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Well, if this "suddenly" occurred "at the end of a few hundred rounds", logic suggests that something has gone amiss inside the magazine.

Why not just take the magazine apart, and look?

M
Old 10-13-2019, 11:59 AM  
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
When you fully load the mag (that means loading/inserting cartridges into the magazine), once you're stuffed in the last round, can you then use your thumb and push down on the top round in the magazine, forcing it down a 1/16" or so. Or is the stack of cartridges, once loaded to max, not compressible?

I do agree with Mike. The problem of not being able to fully insert a 'fully loaded magazine' into the mag well could be that something is inhibiting any further compression of the ammo stack in the magazine.... Could be a small piece of debris inhibiting spring compression or something inhibiting any further downward movement of the follower.

As Mike said, it'd be a good time to disassemble the magazine and look for any poop in there that shouldn't be there. Or any abnormalities in the spring or follower. And ensure the inside of the magazine is clean, dry and free from any burrs.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:14 PM  

gman26 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldfart View Post
gman, I don't know what to tell ya. Other than, its not a good idea to insert a round into the chamber then close the slide. That means the extractor claw has to bump into and jump over the rim of the case when you close the mag. This can result in possible extractor damage, not to mention that the primer in a 22 is in the outer edge of the rim....that's why it referred to as 'rimfire'. Think about that one for a minute.

I'd say NEVER insert a live round in a pistol and then slam the slide closed. In a center fire, you can damage the extractor. In a rim fire, you can actually fire the cartridge.

If you want to load a round into the chamber, then load/insert 'one' cartridge into a magazine, insert the magazine into the magwell, rack the slide one time and that'll strip the round from the magazine and push it (load it) into the chamber.

Now, remove the magazine and load the magazine with cartridges. Reinsert the magazine into the magwell.

You're good to go, with 'one in the chamber'.

Maybe I wasn't explaining it well. To load 6 rounds in the magazine + 1 in the chamber I would load a magazine, rack the slide to load a round, drop the magazine, and load one more round and put it back in the gun.

I don't know how to disassemble these magazines so I'll look that up and give it a shot. The rounds in the magazine still depress slightly, but not as much as with the other brand.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:41 PM  
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
The magazine stack depressing slightly might be your problem. The full stack will need some some play to allow you to insert the magazine into the magwell with the slide in the forward position. When you're doing that the top round will come into contact with the loading rail in the bottom of the slide just prior to locking in. Further insertion will depress the ammo stack into the magazine, allowing you to continue forcing the magazine upward until it lock/clicks in.

Our current 22 expert is not able to check the forum on a daily basis....but maybe he, or someone else can address the TPH magazine as far as disassembly and any known issues.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther Rimfire & CO2 Pistols