Dual Action or Karabiner 22RF info - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther Rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2017, 03:54 PM   #1

hwentzel .22
Dual Action or Karabiner 22RF info

New to the Walther Forum here. I'm a collector from South Africa and am having difficulty finding information about the manufacture dates, technology and design considerations of the Walther Dual Action (also known as Karabiner) 22RF rifle. Would appreciate any assistance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12499536_1.jpg (15.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 5_2091_walther_karabiner_mod__1_,___22_lr.jpg (112.6 KB, 27 views)
hwentzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 09-10-2017, 01:02 PM   #2

Poloberst .22
Sorry no one has taken the time to try and answer your questions. You have a Walther Model 1 Karabiner designed by Walther in the late 1920s early 1930s for sport shooting in Germany. The Model 2 has a longer stock and barrel with better sights and checkering. The guns were produced by Walther into the war years until military demands eliminated commercial production. The removable magazines came in two sizes: yours for five rounds and a longer one for nine. True, they function as single shot and semi-auto, but beware of using modern ammo in the semi-auto mode. One of my kids was shooting my Model 2 at a range in semi-auto mode. Suddenly she asked if there was something wrong. I looked and the bolt handle had sheared off during recoil. Luckily we had a super gunsmith who was able to effect a still invisible repair. I found the bolt handle had been cast and there was crud in the cast where the break occured.

"This hobby is a continuing education"
Premium paid for for Walther Model 8 #727649 and Walther PP #975557
Poloberst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:07 AM   #3

hwentzel .22
Thank you very much Joe. That helps a lot. Yes, I have a Savage repeater of similar vintage which is also very particular on ammunition. I will start conservatively and only use standard velocity ammunition.

Much appreciated

Old 01-21-2019, 07:17 PM   #4

Jim Strampe .22
Smile Help ID Walther Nitro #1 or #2 and additional action & barrel parts

Hi, My name is Jim. I hate to home in on this thread but I have the same question. I believe I have a Nitro #1 as well as a 2nd action and barrel for the same style gun, only the safety is different at the back of the bolt and the rear sights between the two actions. I am curious what models I actually have? I'd like some info about them, and approx value. I have a total of 3 5-round clips as well. Photos can be seen at: https://photos.app.goo.gl/VriUFD7HrJrWsAuj7
and at (bottom barrel):https://photos.app.goo.gl/NfP17fLKn3G3xB7g8
If the photos don't work, let me know. Thanks. Jim

Last edited by Jim Strampe; 01-21-2019 at 07:20 PM. Reason: typo
Jim Strampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:16 AM   #5

hwentzel .22
Model clarification

Dear Jim, I believe the "Nitro" reflected on the barrel is merely the Nitro proof mark certifying that the barrel can handle Nitro-sellulose propellant. Not actually a model descriptor. I might be wrong...

Otherwise it resembles my No 1 very closely.

You are very lucky to have multiple magazines for yours. I have been battling to find additional ones. Only have one 5 round magazine for mine...
Old 02-25-2019, 12:43 PM   #6

Poloberst .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Strampe View Post
Hi, My name is Jim. I hate to home in on this thread but I have the same question. I believe I have a Nitro #1 as well as a 2nd action and barrel for the same style gun, only the safety is different at the back of the bolt and the rear sights between the two actions. I am curious what models I actually have? I'd like some info about them, and approx value. I have a total of 3 5-round clips as well. Photos can be seen at: https://photos.app.goo.gl/VriUFD7HrJrWsAuj7
and at (bottom barrel):https://photos.app.goo.gl/NfP17fLKn3G3xB7g8
If the photos don't work, let me know. Thanks. Jim

JIm, I'm sorry that I didn't pick up on your additional question. I am a bit confused by your description and the images you posted. Which is what? Usually, the Model 1 Walthers have a sliding safety on the top of the grip behind the receiver and a short forearm and two stage flip sight. The Model 2 Walthers have a longer forearm with finger groove and checkering, adjustable sight and a flip lever safety on the rear of the bolt.

"This hobby is a continuing education"
Premium paid for for Walther Model 8 #727649 and Walther PP #975557
Poloberst is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther Rifles

Search tags for this page

news

Click on a term to search for related topics.