WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther Rifles

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
KOT

KOT .22
Question is G22 worth buying?

I am on the market for. 22 rifle and still debating between ruger 10/20, marlin, and walther G22. I realy want to add G22 to my walther collection. Even a $400+ price tag vs $200+ for ruger is not an issue. I just want a quality 22lr. I've heared some people have accuracy issues, and it wil not like high valocity rounds such as CCI STINGER? Please help me to make a right choice.
KOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 08-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
The G22's record is spotty at best. It's a Umarex product, and that doesn't speak well for it. If you want a reliable .22 caliber rifle, get a 10/22 and don't look back. The bottom line is that you might get a G22 that works; and then again, you might not. But the Ruger is going to work, now and later. Seems like an easy call to make. FWIW, I'm a big Walther fan who doesn't own a G22 but does own, and happily, a 10/22.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #3

AoxoMoxoA .22
CZ (from the Czech Republic) makes some real nice .22LR rifles as well... I have a beautiful Walnut stock CZ-452 Lux with iron BRNO peep sights that's as nice as any .22LR rifle I've seen or shot.

Last edited by AoxoMoxoA; 08-13-2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Added image
AoxoMoxoA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOT View Post
... Please help me to make a right choice.
It all depends on whether you want a rifle or a toy.

If you want a rifle, Searcher and Aoxo have made excellent recommendations.

To which I would add others, all of which I own and like, including the Browning .22 (take-down auto) and the Russian GM-333 (straight-pull bolt-action imported by EAA). Others you'd have to find used, as they are no longer made: Winchester 62 pump-action, Browning T-Bolt (1st model, straight-pull bolt-action), Remington Nylon 66 (semi-auto) or Winchester 63 (auto).

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #5

ShipWreck .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher451 View Post
The G22's record is spotty at best. It's a Umarex product, and that doesn't speak well for it. If you want a reliable .22 caliber rifle, get a 10/22 and don't look back. The bottom line is that you might get a G22 that works; and then again, you might not. But the Ruger is going to work, now and later. Seems like an easy call to make. FWIW, I'm a big Walther fan who doesn't own a G22 but does own, and happily, a 10/22.
Yes, I came very close to buying one in the past - really wanted to. But any research I did on various gun forums never really made it seem like a gun I wanted to take a chance on.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #6

Andyd_is_PzGren .22
Quote:
I am in the market for. 22 rifle ... I really want to add G22 to my walther collection. ....
If you want to enjoy the quality that made Walther famous and set them apart from others, go KKJ. Don't go off half cocked, save your money up and do it right!

searcher451 likes this.
Andyd_is_PzGren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyd_is_PzGren View Post

If you want to enjoy the quality that made Walther famous and set them apart from others, go KKJ. ...
I thought of that, too, after I posted above but figured somebody else would mention the KKJ --the only objection to which is that it is about 2-3 times the cost of the Umarex Joke. The OP did say that cost was not his primary concern, but the price of a KKJ is up in rarefied atmosphere.

Belatedly I also thought of my Marlin 39 lever action-- really the last of the old breed of the American blued-steel & walnut guns.

And even a beat-up or altered Remington 40X or Winchester 52 with no collector value left can be a superior foundation for a bolt-action sporter.

My first gun was a little Mossberg M152 7-shot semi-auto carbine (still have it) and it's still a better gun than the G22.

M

Last edited by MGMike; 08-13-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:

... I just want a quality 22lr...
Excuse me, I read too hastily and just noticed this.

Why is the G22 even under consideration?

M
Old 08-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #9

AoxoMoxoA .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
Excuse me, I read too hastily and just noticed this. Why is the G22 even under consideration?
I just think that some folks, unaware of the current scope of the Walther brand, think that the name Walther is synonymous with high quality, which of course used to be the case... until Umarex and S&W...

There are many high quality .22LR rifles out there - some mentioned in this thread - mostly older models, that far outshine most of the current crop of new rifles. And at a price point that's cheaper than the G22. The fact is that " they don't make 'em like they used to."
===================

BTW, I shoot my buddy's Mossberg 142-A (1950 vintage) all the time , and love it. His, however is missing the folding forend. I did a repair on the rifle recently for him and snapped a quick pic of it while I had it...
AoxoMoxoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
A major reason why corporate raiders acquire an old and respected company is to slap its trusted name on cheaper, inferior goods that can then be sold at inflated prices. Name and tradition are shamelessly flogged by the new owners, who usually had nothing to do with the previous company and often close the original factory and move production elsewhere. When disappointed consumers finally get wise and sales drop off, the company and its depreciated trademarks are spun off to a new corporate owner to finish squeezing the lemon dry. By then the name means nothing, and the quality that made it famous is only a distant memory.

You want examples? Just look around you.

M

Last edited by MGMike; 08-14-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther Rifles

Tags
22lr, g22

Search tags for this page
buy walther g22

g22 walther

g22 walther price

walther g22

walther g22 for sale

walther g22 price

walther g22 reliability
walther g22 review
walther g22 rifle for sale
walther g22 rifle price
walther g22 value
what is the price of a walther g22
Click on a term to search for related topics.