WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther Rifles

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #11

lifesizepotato .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA View Post
The one on GB is incorrectly identified as a Model 1, when in actuality, it is a Model 2. What gives it away as a Model 2 is the "strange lever" you commented about, which is the 180 safety lever that the Model 2's had, as opposed to the sliding tang safety on the Model 1's.
Oh, duh, you're right. I usually recognize those by the rear sight (which has been removed) and the stock fore end profile, which isn't photographed. It looks like that lever is also bigger than I thought it was.

So, it might be a good deal on a Model 2 without the rear sight.
lifesizepotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 08-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #12

Andyd_is_PzGren .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA View Post
Not all that surprising, as Carl Zeiss was then, and still is, the premier manufacturer of optics on the planet.
Well, Zeiss has to share that position with Svarowski. I have a S&B 3-12x56 that ain't shabby and a 6x42 Svarowski that I like at least as much my my Hensoldt and Zeiss scopes.

Coming to think of it, for sentimental reasons, I prefer Hensoldt. Even though they are in the same building since such a long time.

Last edited by Andyd_is_PzGren; 08-29-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Andyd_is_PzGren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #13

James1 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesizepotato View Post
They really are excruciatingly hard to turn up. I had been looking for one in good shape for a couple years and finally came across this one at a Little John's auction earlier this year.

I did find a Model 2 (which is similar) at a gun show several months ago but, like most I've seen, it wasn't original - it had a new stock and I think it was parkerized.

Speaking of non-original, there's actually one on Gunbroker right now:
Scarce Walther Model 1 rifle in 22LR : Curios & Relics at GunBroker.com

It has a strange lever on the back that to my knowledge isn't correct and I can't figure out how it got there. If you can figure out a sighting system for it it might be a steal. It also has the very rare 9-round magazine, which is probably worth at least $150.
As others have noted the gun on Gunbroker has the Model 2 safety, and appears to also be cut for the Model 2 rear sight. However the pictures of the gun don't even show the entire barrel or stock. So it may be a parts gun, or it may be all Model 2. Hard to say if the stock is complete, the front sling swivel is present or if the barrel is complete, or if the front sight is present. I have a Model 2 rear sight I could put on this gun, if the rest of it is there (and is for a Model 2), but the pictures don't even show that. I thought the price others have already bid ($330 right now) was too high to take a chance. Every time I have decided to "take a chance" or "just go for it" on a gun I couldn't see in person I was disappointed. My experience is that there is a reason parts of the rifle aren't being shown in the pictures, and it isn't a good reason.
searcher451 likes this.
James1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #14

rabbithunter .22
Thanks for the video.I own a model 1just like that but with an improvised scope mount,no problem taking rabbits in the head at 80 yrds,what a rifle!
rabbithunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #15

Boogs .22
Beautiful rifle, thanks for sharing
Old 11-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #16

rabbithunter .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captatnman View Post
Cool gun, thanks for posting. Why did they make it so it can operate both in semi auto and bolt? Was it done like that for military training of some sort?
I believe bolt action is considered more accurate for long range shooting,semi auto for closer range shooting but with a higher rate of fire.
rabbithunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther Rifles

Search tags for this page
1936 walther model 1 22lr rifle
22lr shooting videos

akah scope mounts

carl zeiss zielklein

model 1 walther 22 semi auto and bolt --22 rifle
walhter model 1 carbine 22lr

walther model 1

walther model 1 carbine
walther model 1 carbine in 22lr

walther model 1 rifle

walther model 2 rifle

zielklein
Click on a term to search for related topics.