How to convert a G22 from left hand to right hand (or the other way around) - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther Rifles

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By donnasea

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #1

donnasea .22
How to convert a G22 from left hand to right hand (or the other way around)

Step 1: Loosen the allen bolt on the bottom of the stock.

Step 2: Remove the Pin in front of the safety.

At this point you should be able to remove the stock from the rifle.

Step 3: Disconnect the trigger linkage.

Step 4: Remove the two pins to allow you to drop the magazine mechanism.

Step 5: When removing the magazine mechanism, hold both sides as in the photo to keep springs from popping out.

Step 6: Remove the bolt lever - this step requires a thorax screwdriver.

Step 7: Remove the bolt by pulling up on it.

Step 8: Remove the ejector and reinstall it on the other side of the bolt by removing this pin. Be careful of a small spring behind the ejector.

Final Step: When reassembling the rifle, ensure that the metal plate that covers the ejection port not in use is installed properly. The metal tag being pointed out by the punch should go towards the rear of the rifle, otherwise it will not feed properly.

I hope this helps - I should point out that I am not a gunsmith. Sorry about having to click on the link for the photos - it's the only way I could make it work.

If you have a problem give me a call at:

seven zero three - four zero three - seven two seven seven

Charlie
searcher451 likes this.

Last edited by donnasea; 09-21-2011 at 05:39 PM.
donnasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 09-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #2

Derek .22
Thank you Charlie!

Just finished converting mine over to LH. I was skeptical about doing it, I'm not a gun smith either. The only thing I've every taken apart that is gun related would be my Remington 870 12 guage and I had trouble putting that back together!

My plan was to take it to a smith but then I found your write up and decided to give it a try. I got over the fear of losing springs before I bought the gun. I've read several places that if the springs are lot the gun still works just fine.

Your picture on step five saved me from losing any springs. Didnt even pop out. I kept the assembly standing upside down on the table, not laying it on its side. Held together fine.

Toughest part was re-instaling the bolt and springs, but once I took my time it was easy. Just compress it fully with the rails all the way through the slide. The pin for the ejector is tiny, but with the right tools a guy shouldn't have a problem.

Final step, you mention a metal plate that covers the unused ejector port. My gun did not have the same cover. My cover had the firing pin build onto it. It only goes in one way so there was no problem. Just thought I'd mention the difference on some guns.

If your considering doing this, it's not too difficult. Just go slow, me mindful of how your taking it apart, whats goes where and you will be fine. Took me roughly an hour, and that was with hunting down tools and punches.

The pictures showed up in the thread, after I registered to make this post they turned to links. Thought it was odd.

Cant wait to take it out!

Thank you again. It's much appreciated.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Thank you again. It's much appreciated.
Yes it is ... thanks, Charlie. No doubt a great many forum members can benefit from your work here.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #4

donnasea .22
Great!!!!!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:25 AM   #5

michelhb .22
Bolt handle issue

Charlie,

I don't know if you are still monitoring this thread, but I'll give it a shot. I just got a used G22 and was using this guide to convert it to left hand. I ran into a problem when reversing the bolt handle. The hole where the screw goes through is not drilled as deep on the right side as it is on the left. The screw will not go through enough to reach the bolt handle. Did you run into this problem, or does my gun have a factory flaw? I'm gonna see if I can find a longer screw, but if I can't the only other option is to carefully drill the hole deeper so the screw will go through. Not my preferred method. Any insight would be appreciated.

Mike
michelhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:11 AM   #6

donnasea .22
Mike

I'm actually having a little trouble visualizing the problem you describe. You are talking about step 6 in the process - right? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "the screw will not go through enough to reach the bolt handle". The screw goes through the bolt handle and into the bolt - right? I no longer own my G22 so I don't have it to look at as a reference.

At any rate, I did not experience a problem like this. Drilling a new hole would be my absolute last resort. If what you need is a new screw you should be able to pick one up somewhere.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Charlie
Old 05-04-2012, 01:16 AM   #7

michelhb .22
Reply to Charlie

Charlie,

Thanks for the response. I was able to find a longer screw at the hardware store. Only had to mill the head down slightly to make it work. Not sure why my bolt is drilled deeper on one side than the other. Haven't shot it yet, but it seems solid. To clarify, where the screw goes through the bolt to mount the bolt handle is drilled deeper on the side for right hand use. When trying to switch it for left hand use, the screw wouldn't go deep enough to reach the bolt handle. I replaced the factory screw with a M3-.50 x 16 metric screw. I had to chuck it into my dremel tool with the head out and ran it against a diamond file to reduce the diameter of the head to fit into the hole in the bolt. Hopefully this information will be useful to anyone else that may come across the same problem.

Thanks,
Mike
michelhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:13 AM   #8

donnasea .22
Mike

Clearly you know what you are doing. I'm glad that you were able to make it work and I am sure your added details will be of value to others.

Charlie
Old 02-01-2019, 11:13 AM   #9

tilburycastles .22
Hi.
I have just brought the g22 but it is left handed and I need it to be right handed.
Gun is stripped out. Injector pin is this screwed in or pushed in please?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
tilburycastles is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther Rifles

Search tags for this page
g22 left handed
how to convert a walther g22 from right hand to left hand
how to convert a walther g22 from right to left handed
how to switch a walther g22 from left hand to right hand
thorax screwdriver

walther g22

walther g22 changeover
walther g22 conversion
walther g22 left hand

walther g22 left hand conversion

walther g22 left handed
walther g22 reverse right to left handed
Click on a term to search for related topics.