PPS felt recoil less than Q5; why? - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther General Discussions

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2020, 08:24 PM   #11

CavGuy .22
One thing to consider is that the muzzle velocity out of both guns using the same ammo will be higher in the longer barreled Q5 (5") than the shorter barreled PPS (3") because the powder has more time to burn. This is a known fact. That's one reason why +P ammo does not benefit significantly for velocity in guns with 2" to 3" barrels.
CavGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-12-2020, 08:42 PM   #12

WaterDR Unproven
yes the velocities will be different. And since velocity is squared....more energy

Last edited by WaterDR; 02-13-2020 at 06:15 AM.
WaterDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:46 PM   #13

Steve-S .22
Thanks for the responses. Good to know I'm not alone in this perception, whatever the cause may be.

I'm not really displeased with the recoil from the Q5, but I may look into one of those fancier recoil springs now that I'm aware of them.
Steve-S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2020, 07:12 PM   #14

CavGuy .22
PPS felt recoil less than Q5; why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-S View Post
Thanks for the responses. Good to know I'm not alone in this perception, whatever the cause may be.

I'm not really displeased with the recoil from the Q5, but I may look into one of those fancier recoil springs now that I'm aware of them.
This is what I have in my P99. It helps a bit. https://zahal.org/product/walther-pp...d-dpm-systems/

Last edited by CavGuy; 02-13-2020 at 07:17 PM.
CavGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:18 AM   #15

WaterDR Unproven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-S View Post

This topic comes up a lot. I have thousands of rounds through my Q5 and the recoil has never been a complaint of mine.

However, the gun has been mostly displaced by my Shadow 2 and my p210. The Q5 will make a showing this summer in 3 gun though.
WaterDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:20 AM   #16

halfmoonclip .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
...As to kinetic energy, velocity has a lot more impact than mass. Mass is linear and velocity is squared...

There may well be some truth here. Shooting .38 Special and 9mm Smith Centennials back to back, the nine has a much sharper recoil. The bullets are 148 gr and 115gr respectively, but the nines are crowding 1100, while the .38s are less than 800. I haven't done the energy math, and there are other variables, but the quick jump to 1100'sec has to make a difference.
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:21 PM   #17

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
There may well be some truth here. Shooting .38 Special and 9mm Smith Centennials back to back, the nine has a much sharper recoil. The bullets are 148 gr and 115gr respectively, but the nines are crowding 1100, while the .38s are less than 800. I haven't done the energy math, and there are other variables, but the quick jump to 1100'sec has to make a difference.
Moon
The 148gr 38 special equates to 210ft/lb while the 115gr 9mm comes in at 309ft/lb. Of course the felt recoil will vary depending upon pistol weight, grip, stance, etc. but assuming all variables are otherwise equal the felt recoil would be greater with the 9mm.
chandler5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:47 PM   #18

HHPIN .22
May just all be in my own mind, but I do recall shooting 148 gr .38 Special wadcutters in Smith and Wesson model 52's and Colt Gold Cups and thinking recoil was greater than in K or N frame revolver. On the other hand, shooting 125 gr. +P in light revolvers seem to recoil much more than a 124gr 9mm at similar velocity in a semi-auto.

It seemed that with a low recoil round, the inertia of the slide emphasized the effect where with a higher recoiling round, the slide and recoil spring offset the effect.
HHPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:45 PM   #19

matquig .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavGuy View Post
One thing to consider is that the muzzle velocity out of both guns using the same ammo will be higher in the longer barreled Q5 (5") than the shorter barreled PPS (3") because the powder has more time to burn. This is a known fact. That's one reason why +P ammo does not benefit significantly for velocity in guns with 2" to 3" barrels.
Also, the bullet spends less time in the gun, and thus there is reduced time for the recoil to thrust the gun upward. Except for the reduced sight radii, some shorter barreled guns are actually easier to shoot than long barreled guns. Single action revolvers with slow bullets often show you the differences in bullet exit time and recoil a lot more easily, and often require more concentration and firm hold to shoot consistently than guns with faster and lighter bullets.
matquig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:34 PM   #20

halfmoonclip .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler5566 View Post
The 148gr 38 special equates to 210ft/lb while the 115gr 9mm comes in at 309ft/lb. Of course the felt recoil will vary depending upon pistol weight, grip, stance, etc. but assuming all variables are otherwise equal the felt recoil would be greater with the 9mm.
The test actually was a wash on the other variables. Both revolvers were steel frame Centennials with identical Altamont combat grips. The 9mm's recoil,subjectively, felt more like magnums in a steel Centennial.

HHPN, due respect, but your memory is faulty. The 52 is as soft shooting as a pistol can be (you can watch the slide cycle very deliberately). It 'shuck-chucks' almost like a '97 Winchester pumpgun.
You are entirely correct about alloy J-frames snapping much more than 9mm autos; the action operating absorbs a deal of the energy. Comparing autos to revos introduces too many variables.

Matiqug, you are entirely correct about bore dwell time, and this is the downside to light-recoiling target ammunition. It makes follow-thru' really critical with these guns.
I could reopen the discussion of pistols describing an arc when they are discharged, but maybe not.

Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther General Discussions