WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther General Discussions

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2020, 03:57 AM   #1

HKristofferJ .22
Shooting Low

Hey guys,

I have a Walther P1 and P5, both 80s production, that appear to shoot low for me. I’ve recently changed the rear sight on the P5 for a different height and brought up the point of impact. My question is, did the Germans teach a different hold for aiming their pistols? Or is just the factory sights on the guns I have? I don’t think it’s me, none of my other handguns shoot low like the P1 and P5.

Just curious.
HKristofferJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-08-2020, 05:16 AM   #2

HHPIN .22
What sight hold do you use, 6 o'clock or center hold? Does it shoot low with all ammo?

They never say what they use at the factory as a test load when they shoot the test targets, I always assumed its a standard ball 124 gr.
HHPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:44 AM   #3
Supporting Member

1942bull .22
If the Germans had a different aiming hold/technique it would affect all the Walther pistols you have because they would not have had different sighting methods for different guns. At least understanding the German need to be precise and have exactness in their products I do not think they would do one thing on pistol A and another on pistol B.

I think @HHPIN asked a good question about ammo. that could easily be the culprit if you are using different ammo with different pistols.

I recently installed a CT laser on my PPS M2. I foresighted it with a Sighmark laser before going to the range. Using a blank wall at 25 feet I I observed that with the proper alignment of the gun's sights that the top of the front sight was in the center of the projected red dot on the wall. The point of aim and point of impact corresponded perfectly. Then I put. target on the all and repeated the test. What I found was that when the red dot was on the center of the target the top of the front sight was too.

That makes me believe that the M2's sights are set for center aiming. But at 25 feet I cannot be certain. I adjusted the laser sight so its green dot overlayedthe foresight red dot. At the range using a bench rest I tested the sighting. I had never done that with any pistol before. At 25 feet I found that the point of impact was exactly where the green dot from the CT laser was, and that the top of the front sight was also. Does that mean the gun should be aimed on center? I do not know, but I think so.

Maybe you should do some shooting with the pistols using a bench rest at the range and trying different aim points. You willat least get a clue that way. Good luck.

"Engage your brain before you engage your weapon."
General James Mattis
1942bull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2020, 10:05 AM   #4

halfmoonclip .22
HK', let someone else shoot your gun; see if POI changes.
Lasers are great for getting close, but the gun moves in recoil when the shot breaks.Rifles, not nearly so much, but handguns do weird stuff.

Have you tried benching it? Rest your forearms and the triggerguard, but not the butt...that will affect that recoil movement.
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:43 AM   #5
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Your bullets are dropping because they're going too slow. Pull the trigger harder.

M
imaoldfart and olsoul like this.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:06 PM   #6

HKristofferJ .22
Thanks for the replies. I’ve shot 115 grain Magtech, 124 grain MEN, and 124 grain Winchester NATO loads through the P1 so far. The P5 shot all those plus 124 grain standard pressure HST, until I switched the P5 rear sight to a taller one, it fixed my point of impact. My father had the same issue, shooting low with the P1 too. We’re used to a 6 o’clock hold, so I wasn’t sure if the Germans were training with a 12 o’clock or something like that.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:08 PM   #7

HKristofferJ .22
My P99, and HK P30 don’t appear to have this issue weirdly enough, nor does my Sig. My father has his own P1 (our serial numbers are consecutive, which is cool) that shoots low, I’m left to think that we just have sights that are off.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy with the guns and I’m excited about starting my Walther collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 938861BC-124F-44C8-890C-9D850A497D25_1581214688039.jpeg (268.1 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by HKristofferJ; 02-08-2020 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 02-08-2020, 08:12 PM   #8

HKristofferJ .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
Your bullets are dropping because they're going too slow. Pull the trigger harder.

M
+1 😂
Old 02-18-2020, 05:29 PM   #9

ssivbreger .22
And what pistol did You have before that?
Luger?
ssivbreger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:16 PM   #10

halfmoonclip .22
From the test targets with the Walthers, have to believe that they used POA/POI, rather than 6 o'clock.
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther General Discussions