Slide Lettering Discoloration & Slide Wear - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2019, 03:41 AM   #1

Elrond .22
Slide Lettering Discoloration & Slide Wear

After a while, I have noticed that the nice silver lettering (date codes, proof marks) on the slides of my Walthers turns brown. Is there any way to return the lettering to its factory new silver color without damaging it? Assuming it's rust, I rubbed it with some Kroil and got brown residue back, but the discoloration hasn't improved.

Also, any recommendations on hiding holster wear (preferably back to matte black)? I have some shiny metal showing on some of my slides and it's annoying. I tried some Super Blue, but it didn't seem to have an effect (I haven't tried leaving it on for more than a minute yet).

Guns that this question covers is in my signature.

Disclaimer: Some of us like to keep guns looking nice as part of the hobby. We are already aware of "guns are tools", "cosmetic wear is just part of life", "it adds character", etc. We know. That doesn't answer the questions.
PPQ 45 SD
P99c AS 9mm
P22 QD
Umarex P99 C02 6mm

Sights: XS Standard Dot Tritium
Holsters: Safariland, Vedder, LegacyFirearms, Dara
Walther Compatible Safariland Holsters
Elrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 09-09-2019, 07:34 AM   #2
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
There are no easy solutions to your problems.

Many, I'm sure, wish there were. Short of having your weapon refinished that holster wear is there to stay. The spot treatments are temporary at best and seldom match the weapon finish.

As to the markings, I've never found a person who could help with that problem. If you had a jewelers loupe and the proper metal paints and brushes I'd imagine you could paint over the markings yourself. Past that I'm not sure it is repairable but I'm willing to be educated.
olsoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther General Discussions