Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther General Discussions

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By matquig
  • 1 Post By Kar98

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2019, 05:04 PM   #1

matquig .22
The First Walther - Almost

I figured it must be time to be a little nostalgic. It was the fall of 1966, and my dad had promised me that I could have my own gun at age 14, and my birthday was coming up in October. I had been saving for quite awhile, and had my mind set on a surplus P38. There was a gun and coin store opened recently in my little hometown, and they seemed to get some very nice used guns, and many war souvenirs that former G.I's had lost interest in, and could now translate into dollars. There were 1911's and 1911A1's, artillery Lugers, and P38's, and all kinds of old revolvers. I had been longing for a pistol, and a P38 specifically, as I had grown to love the style, and currently, the Man From U.N.C.L.E. used one, and that was good enough for me. Ammo was available at the local gunshow for $4 for a box of 64, Canadian manufacture, and less for corrosive European surplus. My dad thought I was nuts, as he saw no use for such a gun. If it wasn't for hunting, he just had no use for it. Well, low and behold, the day came, he signed for it, and I cam home with a worn CYQ with a low four digit serial number (little did I know about the German numbering system). Oh, it cost $55. It shot well, but I didn't. I couldn't hit a gallon paint can at 15 yards. Boy, was I disappointed. I almost gave up, but then bought a book on "shooting", which included a section on pistol marksmanship, and I started from scratch, followed the book, and soon learned how to put them on the target, start shrinking the groups, and moved the distance back, and then started over. Soon I was hitting it most all the time at 25 yards. Common sense, sadly, won out for a few years, and I traded it for a Mossberg 22 rifle. That soon got boring, and a year later I found myself longing for a pistol again, as I loved the challenge. I will never forget that first "Walther" that wasn't really a Walther, but introduced me to a kind of cult craving for German Engineering, fine and stylish weapons, etc. I think everyone of us remembers that first gun, or that first Walther.

Last edited by matquig; 08-26-2019 at 05:06 PM.
matquig is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 08-26-2019, 06:22 PM   #2

Kar98 .22
Not sure why you're saying your CYQ wasn't really a Walther. A 1911 is a 1911 even if it was made at a typewriter manufacturer.
brunrox likes this.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:01 AM   #3

Jimbo80 .22
Because it’s a Spreewerk.
Jimbo80 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2019, 07:18 AM   #4

Andyd_is_PzGren .22
While you are correct, that a P.38 made by CYQ or SVW it isn't a Walther-made pistol, they can still be somewhat considered Walthers as much as any K98k from the various German manufacturers is usually considered a Mauser 98. Even if they were made at the Brünner Waffenwerke .
Old 08-28-2019, 05:53 PM   #5

matquig .22
A P38 may be a P38, and a 1911A1 may be a 1911A1, but not all 1911A1's are Colts. Not all P38's are Walthers. Does that make more sense?
matquig is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther General Discussions