Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther General Discussions

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 1942bull
  • 2 Post By olsoul

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2019, 07:07 PM   #1

RandomRest .22
How much reliability testing needed?

Hello, I'm pretty new to Walthers and I'm looking for some advice.

After years shooting revolvers, I've recently shifted to shooting semi-automatics thanks to the gift of a P1 and a PPK/S from a friend. Those gateway Walthers led me to purchase a P99 and a PPS, and I would like to shift to them for home protection and carry. Before doing that, I want to be sure of reliability. I've chosen a type of defensive ammo for each pistol (Federal HST 147 and 150 Micro, respectively), and have run about 40 rounds through each without a glitch. How many test rounds of a specific ammo type would you consider necessary to be confident in reliable cycling?

Thanks for any advice.
RandomRest is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 07-12-2019, 09:07 PM   #2

SkippySanchez .22
I'd suggest 100 rounds JHPs between two dedicated HD mags, but run another few hundred rounds of FMJ just to get the hang of running the pistol.

You might consider loading the mags from two or three rounds each to full capacity. Sometimes partially-loaded mags can be finicky, plus you can practice efficient magazine changes at the same time.

-------------------------------------------
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
SkippySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:23 PM   #3

1942bull .22
Testing reliability is is not just how many rounds to shoot. You shoot most guns and get get 20 JHP through it without a failure to feed and you have proven your ammo feeds properly. If you shoot 100 rounds in testing but do it slowly all you proved is that you shot 100 rounds. Reliability is is proven by shooting that simulates real life conditions: a flurry of rapid sequence shots, like double and triple taps. Make the gun work hard. If it holds up with a hundred rounds through it is rapid succession, I think you can see it as reliable as long as you keep it clean and oiled.

It tested my PPS M2 with Winchester Train and Defend. Both train and defend are 147 grain with the same design except trained is FMF and Defend is JHP. I selected that ammo after reviewing dozens of tests of 9mm out of a 3 inch barrel by Ammoquest on eBay. Check out this video and see why I carry Defend and practice with Train. HST 147 was my previous favorite. I do not see any reliable testing of the Micro so I passed it by. Maybe in time there will be more to learn about it other than ads.

This video is worth watching.

https://youtu.be/xc5n_JsY3aw
olsoul likes this.

Memberships:
Gun Owners of America
Second Amendment Foundation
Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime
CCW Safe

"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim." General (retired) James Mattis.
1942bull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2019, 06:20 AM   #4
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
I wouldn't EDC a weapon until I've taken it through a full day level I proficiency course. Failing that I'd follow a lot of 42's advice...

Minimum of 500 rounds fmj as similar to your defensive ammo as possible. Minimum of 100 rounds defensive ammo. Run the weapon hard, two to five round strings rapid fire drawn from your carry holster.

Shoot it clean, shoot it dirty, shoot it enough so you really know how the weapon handles...

Personally because you want this as your EDC, even if you've been carrying for years (or even for work) I'd look at getting Level I or Level II training. You'll really know your weapon by the end of the course. You'll certainly know your ammo and its shooting characteristics in most situations.

After all your weapon is life support...how much is your life (or that of your family or your friends) worth?
olsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:05 AM   #5

chandler5566 .22
It's not the number of rounds you fire, it's what level of imperfection are you willing to accept? In just 3 responses it's obvious that the number and type of rounds looks like a scattergram. Olsoul gave the best recommendation I know of.....training, consistent and varied practice.
chandler5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #6

halfmoonclip .22
Depends somewhat on the weapon. Guns with a rep as reliable don't need quite as much skepticism; I've taken Glock 42s straight from the dealer to a club match.
Since the P365 has had its issues, I've run maybe 300 rounds of mixed (defense and handload practice of roughly equivalent power) ammo. The gun's current rep is excellent, and the 8 I now know of perssconally have run 100%.
Another issue; whatever ammo you end up choosing, make sure you can get enough of it. Gold Dot .380s were scarce for a long time.
Finally, an aside, and a twice told tale. My first centerfire auto was a Ranger PPK/s .380, 35 years ago. Because of the cost of factory hollowpoints, I decided to feed it careful reloads. I'd load 10 of something, if that ran, then 25, then 50. I never did find a load that would run 100 straight, and finally traded it.
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:24 PM   #7

RandomRest .22
Thanks all for your advice, it's very helpful. The issue of how much to buy was part of the motivation for my questions, as I want to have enough to test and enough left to be of use, and want to plan against shortages of specific loads. I will definitely test with rapid fire, partially loaded mags, one hand, weak hand, etc. Again, thanks.
RandomRest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:40 AM   #8
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Depends somewhat on the weapon. Guns with a rep as reliable don't need quite as much skepticism
Moon
It isn't so much the "rep for reliability" moon. I'd think it is a matter of how the weapon is going to function in your hands with a given load under various conditions. Each weapon has its own idiosyncrasies.

In a match you might lose points, in the real world it could be a bit more... .

I agree to a certain extent with your assertion about reputation, as that is the yard stick we all need to start with but where the rubber meets the road you always want as close to perfection as possible and know it for a fact not a supposition.
olsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:47 AM   #9

halfmoonclip .22
Not really arguing that point, but I pick defensive guns using several criteria, rep for reliability being one. An analogy; Toyotas are expected to work, Alfa Romeos, maybe not. I was skeptical of both the 42 and the 365 early on, but assured myself through extensive personal usage, and that of friends.
Nah, I wouldn't have loaded the 42 with Gold Dots and stuck it in my pocket, but I wasn't surprised it ran just fine in a match. It was actually my 'spare' 42, and the previous ones have always run just fine.
I've a 100+ year old Smith lemon squeezer top break; doubt it's ever been fired. Somebody bought it, loaded 5 .38 S&Ws, and stuck it in the drawer. That sorta works with revos; not so much with autoloaders.
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther General Discussions