M1 Paddle release fascination? - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther General Discussions

Like Tree93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2019, 05:08 AM   #1

DukeIronHand .22
M1 Paddle release fascination?

Anyone want to take a shot at explaining this?
I like the paddle release just fine - having two pistols with it - but for “training” purposes I would prefer to have all on one type. And given a choice on them I would have got the “button.”

With that said the M2 button is (IMHO) far superior for many reasons. Simple, easy, quick. Perhaps the fact I’ve always had them is a big reason but it would seem a hard system to improve on.

Yet here is this forum I hear quite a bit from a subset about how they wish this pistol or that one would have a paddle. Extolling the existence of the paddle but never quite saying why. Even so far as to not buying a pistol because it doesn’t have one.

Any logical reasons for this preference or is it a “just because?”
Old 06-26-2019, 08:07 AM   #2

1942bull .22
Personally, i cannot imagine wanting a paddle release. To me it is similar to wanting a car with the drivers controls on the right side of the car. However, accepted conventions often motivate people to be the exception to the norm. Why? To be different? Or just because they like paddle releases? Different strokes ............

Memberships:
Gun Owners of America
Second Amendment Foundation
Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime
1942bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:14 AM   #3

Jslow .22
I love my paddle release pistols (Walther & HK). I wish more companies would consider adding them to their products (they won’t, I know). Why do I like them? I do NOT have to adjust my dominant hand shooting grip to manipulate them. All other push button styles I have to completely adjust my grip to hit the button. Even if the button is ambidextrous. Paddle I use my middle finger of shooting hand to hit the paddle. Can’t do that with the button style on shooting side let alone on the “normal” left side of the gun.
BartCarter, spin40, Scar and 6 others like this.
Jslow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2019, 09:26 AM   #4

dleong Unproven
I have small hands, and my right thumb cannot reach the button release without rotating the entire gun to the left. On my P99AS, I can just press down on the right paddle release with my trigger finger to drop the magazine. It's a very natural motion that does not require finger or hand contortions, and keeps the gun (mostly) pointed at the target during the changeout.
dleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:48 AM   #5
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
This is no fascination. The paddle mag release is actually an excellent system. Everybody and their sister has been using button guns for the last hundred years....old habits are hard to break. And then some simply refuse to change.

I have both M1's and M2's. I can use/handle both variants....however, the paddle design is easier and seems more intuitive. Just like any new or different system, it does take some time and practice.

Its NO fascination.
imaoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:00 AM   #6

PPS1980 .22
I've said why I prefer the paddle any number of times here. No "fascination" with it, it simply has clear advantages over the button release.

1) No need to shift grip to release the magazine
2) Less prone to accidental activation than the button
3) Is ambidextrous by nature
4) Befuddles those not initiated into its mysteries
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
PPS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:41 AM   #7

muckaleewarrior71 .22
It's not like a paddle is like driving a manual five speed auto and the button works like an automatic transmission. They are slightly different and in my experience the paddle works much easier. I have both and will keep both.
spin40 and four4bshooter like this.

P99 & P99c AS 9mm, PPX .40, PPS M2 9mm, and
PPQ M1 9mm!
muckaleewarrior71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:55 AM   #8

DukeIronHand .22
Shoot however you will but I see a lot of “changing grip” reasons and that fine.
For me I change my grip/backstraps/whatever if I can’t keep my grip and hit the button. M
Old 06-26-2019, 01:04 PM   #9

balance .22
Quote:
Anyone want to take a shot at explaining this?
Sure.

My defensive pistols are carry pistols. I shoot left handed and carry my pistol on my left side waistband. Paddle mag releases are easier for me to use and less likely to release the mag unintentionally, and maybe even worse, unknowingly.

I'd suggest this to everyone here. Compare the amount of times that you personally have had a mag release in a holstered pistol you were carrying that had a button mag release, and then compare that number to the number of times you have ever heard of anyone who had to reload their concealed carry pistol in a defensive encounter.

In my case, it would be more than a handful of times, compared to none.

I'll ask the OP, if you were me, and you managed to use the paddle mag release faster and more comfortably, and you never had an issue with a lever mag release unintentionally releasing the mag, why would you want a button mag release?

Quote:
It's not like a paddle is like driving a manual five speed auto and the button works like an automatic transmission.
I'd say it is more like a regular shift pattern vs that of a dog leg shift pattern.

I believe one is more popular, while the other is "better" for performance.

Both are useable.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:25 PM   #10

DukeIronHand .22
Errr. Ultimately you can use what you want. Do what you want.
Dunno why it feels like I hit a sensitive subject here based on the “tone” of some of the answers but text can be tricky. That’s fine if the paddle works better for you.
Have at it gentlemen.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther General Discussions