WaltherForums

WaltherForums (https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/)
-   Walther General Discussions (https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/walther-general-discussions/)
-   -   Glock fan Buying a walther (https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/walther-general-discussions/115742-glock-fan-buying-walther.html)

Dhardesty 02-15-2019 10:56 PM

Glock fan Buying a walther

So I am a glock owner, and huge fan. But I at 1 point had a walther pk380 not the greatest. But, I miss the ergonomics and have always had an interest in walther. Now the ppq in particular. So my question is are there any other glock fans who went to or also own a ppq? And what are your thoughts as far as transition from 1 to the other for carry? I choose glock bc I am extremely comfortable with them, and know I can count on them. I am not questioning the reliability of a walther but more the comfortability with it comparably. Do you find yourself reaching for 1 more than the other? If you're going into the shady part of town, which do you gravitate toward.. walther, or glock?
Again this is a question of personal experience and not carry comfort, but peace of mind comfort. This is not a glock vs walther thread.
Thanks in advance! Glad to be a part of the forum.

Jslow 02-15-2019 11:50 PM

I do kind of hate to admit it but when I’m sure I’m unfortunately headed to into a “shady part of town or environment” I’m always carrying my Glock 19 or 23 with a 27 as a BUG. Now my best option is to not go there in the first place!!!! But sometimes it simply can not be helped. I really love my Walthers but when I truly know the 💩 could hit the fan.... it’s the Glock’s that get that duty. Sorry Walther.

Redcat94 02-16-2019 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhardesty (Post 1180904)
Do you find yourself reaching for 1 more than the other? If you're going into the shady part of town, which do you gravitate toward.. walther, or glock?
Again this is a question of personal experience and not carry comfort, but peace of mind comfort.

Welcome to the forum. I enjoy owning and shooting both brands. In the winter I usually carry either a Glock 19 Gen4 or a Walther PPQ M1. I'm perfectly confident with either.

XRing 02-16-2019 12:24 AM

I have a pps m1 and a Glock 26.
The Glock with a 25 rnd grip sleeve mag has 15 rnd capacity. The pps trigger is similar to the Glock , both being partial cocked striker.
I use either one for concealed carry.

WaterDR 02-16-2019 07:55 AM

You
I don’t have a lot of experience with G guns but I do think it’s the best gun-system out there.

With my new shooters during class, I have switched from the G19 to the PPQ because shooters seem to enjoy it better.

Nova231 02-16-2019 08:38 AM

Quote:

Again this is a question of personal experience and not carry comfort, but peace of mind comfort. This is not a glock vs walther thread.

I have a Glock 19, which I sometimes will carry. It's about the same size as my P99 (in fact, I bought the P99 instead of a Glock 19 as my first pistol). The PPQ is basically a derivative of the P99 and since I only own a PPQ in .22LR, is really the basis of my response here.

At the end of the day, I have more peace of mind carrying the P99 or PPS than the Glock. I'm just more comfortable with them, and I shoot them better. Why do I carry the Glock at all then? I don't mind if it gets dinged up and I have it set up with a TLR-3 weapon light and a holster that fits it, so if I want that capability I'll take it.

olsoul 02-16-2019 08:00 PM

Quote:

Again this is a question of personal experience and not carry comfort, but peace of mind comfort.

I started carry PPQs as EDCs in 2011 and the Q45 is my EDC now. It gives me peace of mind. This is over many thousands of rounds each year.

The only failures I've ever had with any of my Qs have been those deliberately created during training and proficiency exercises.

I know in high stress situations my Q will do what I need it to.

Welcome to the Forums BTW.

camosamo 02-18-2019 09:22 AM

I have had my PPQ for about 5 years now 10,000 plus rounds through it. Its a great gun very accurate, eats any kind of ammo. But my split times are usually quicker with my glocks. I have try many times with a lot of ammo shot down range to get the PPQ quicker split times or as quick with my glocks but just can't consistently do it with my PPQ. My 19.5 has replace my 19.4 as my carry. I carry the glock over the Q because i am quicker with the glock and almost as accurate. But i would carry either one.

Scar 02-18-2019 04:21 PM

I had never owned a striker fired handgun other than various Glocks and one Kahr P9 until 2012 when I bought two Gen4 Glock 19, which was their newest generation at that time. I won't bore you with the details, but let's just say their behavior made them unusable for carry use until I found a fix about a year after buying them.

That's when I started buying and using other polymer framed striker fired handguns. A PPQ M1 Classic was one of the first. I now have three Qs and have fired thousands of rounds through them without a single bobble. In fact, none of my polymer strikers from Walther, H&K, M&P, Sig or FN has given me any reliability problems. Even the much maligned Sig P320 which I kept for a year and a half and fired 1900+ rounds though. It and my others have been repeatedly reliable with any factory ammo make, bullet weight or power level.

OP, my PPQs have been just as reliable as my Glock 19s. And I shoot the Qs slightly better than the Glock 19s. I attribute that to the better ergonomics and trigger on the Qs.

I don't go to the "shady" part of town, but if I did I would feel well armed with either a G19 or a PPQ. However, if the zombie apocalypse were to take place I would grab the Glock. Much more likely to find magazines and parts for a Glock than a PPQ. But until that apocalypse happens I have to say I prefer to shoot the PPQ.

Chambered 02-18-2019 09:01 PM

The only Glock I ever owned was a G42. I bought it for pocket carry but soon afterwards realized that it was not a good pocket gun for me. It's size and shape did not lend itself to pocket carry very well and I couldn't find a holster for it that worked but the biggest issue was I felt uncomfortable with it's light trigger pull and all there was is that little flipper thingy on the trigger to keep it from having an ND or AD. I just didn't feel safe with that striker platform in a pocket.

It was after this experience plus all the horror stories I've heard about with ND's and AD's involving strikers that I changed my opinion on manual safeties with striker guns. I decided that I wasn't going to carry one period that didn't have a manual safety and one of the things that led me to buy the Walther CCP was it's unobtrusive and very easy to swipe on and swipe off manual safety.