Glock fan Buying a walther - Page 3 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther General Discussions

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2019, 07:13 PM   #21

camosamo .22
What is taking place at the gun range when you guys or gals say i shoot brand x better? In my post above i used a timer with thousands of rounds between guns to say i shot the glock a little better. If i go target shooting at the range the PPQ shoots better for me. Just wondering what you guys and gals used to determine which one shoots better for you.

Thanks
camosamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-23-2019, 02:16 PM   #22

balance .22
Quote:
Just wondering what you guys and gals used to determine which one shoots better for you.
I've used a timer borrowed from a friend before, but it isn't a normal occurrence with me since I don't own one. It was a while back, but my splits were lower and the shots on target were grouped closer with the P99 and PPQ compared to a few other pistols I compared them against. The ones that were close weren't as comfortable or easy to shoot as well as consistently, so the winner there was obvious for me. I shot the P99 and PPQ against a P30S, a Glock 19, an FN FNX, and a PX4, all in 9mm.

I've shot a Glock 19 plenty of times. I wish I shot Glock pistols better, and more consistently with the ease that I shoot my PPQ with now. But I don't. If I did, I'd be participating a whole lot more on the Glock forum, and less here. I'm still curious what the appeal of the PPQ is to someone who shoots a Glock better.
balance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:58 PM   #23

camosamo .22
I'm on here because i like guns. I don't think i have to wear walther under wear to be part of this forum. The PPQ is a great gun and i enjoy shooting it.
camosamo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2019, 07:41 PM   #24

jonesy09 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy1 View Post
We are lucky these days to have so many fine pistols to choose from.
Not to neglect the rest of grumpy's very informative post, but I just had to highlight what really struck home for me as a first time handgun owner.

I have been able to shot some of my friends guns and handle many others that were on the long and short lists. Top contenders were the VP9, XD(M), M&P Shield 2.0 and the PPQ.

Glock was the first on the initial list until both the wife and I held it. Grip angle did not work. I tried to like it. Wanted to like it based on all lore that is Glock. It just didn't fit. And it only took about 1.5 seconds after the wife got it into her hand for her to say, "nope".

I can certainly be faulted for making a judgment before ever shooting a Glock but I figured if it doesn't feel right in hand without a round through it....

The PPQ fit like a glove on the first round of fitting and was confirmed when I finally went back ready to make a buy (after handling a bunch of other stuff we never even considered). So that's what we went home with. And even after swapping out the mid sized backstrap for the small, that better fit the wife, it still feels great in my hand and I've shot it better than any other handgun I've tried.

But while the PPQ rose to the top it was very close with all the other pistols we handled. I imagine any of the top contenders could have done what we were looking for, including the Glock. The difference maker for us was ergos, trigger and company reputation.

Still learning alot as a new user here. Thanks to all for sharing their experience.
jonesy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:52 PM   #25

balance .22
Quote:
I don't think i have to wear walther under wear to be part of this forum.
I wouldn't respect you as much if you did, and I never said that you had to. Quite the opposite actually. I'm on a Walther forum suggesting that people stick with a pistol from another manufacturer if they claim to shoot it better.

I see polymer pistols more as tools, and I have very little pride of ownership with any of them. I just don't understand why someone would purchase a tool that didn't fit and/or didn't work as well as another that they already owned.

The OP mentioned carry pistols. I'd suggest that when deciding between two separate pistols from two different manufacturers, with similar reliability, durability, and accuracy, that the one to choose is the one that shoots better in your hands.

Do you disagree?
balance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:47 PM   #26

MMA10mm .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhardesty View Post
So I am a glock owner, and huge fan. But I at 1 point had a walther pk380 not the greatest. But, I miss the ergonomics and have always had an interest in walther. Now the ppq in particular. So my question is are there any other glock fans who went to or also own a ppq? And what are your thoughts as far as transition from 1 to the other for carry? I choose glock bc I am extremely comfortable with them, and know I can count on them. I am not questioning the reliability of a walther but more the comfortability with it comparably. Do you find yourself reaching for 1 more than the other? If you're going into the shady part of town, which do you gravitate toward.. walther, or glock?
Again this is a question of personal experience and not carry comfort, but peace of mind comfort. This is not a glock vs walther thread.
Thanks in advance! Glad to be a part of the forum.
I own about 30 Glocks, give or take, and they are a good, serviceable pistol. The thing is, if you stick to Sig, H&K, Walther, Glock, or Steyr, you will generally have a great service pistol. I only really own two types of semi-autos: Browning and Germanic. CZ is a close second, in theory, but there are so many great choices in the Browning and Germanic, I've never gotten to buying one yet.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:08 PM   #27

Jan whitaker .22
I have Glocks and Walthers.The 19 is a great carry gun, and so is the p99. I am comfortable with either one of these fine pistols Probably tend to go more with the p99.
Jan whitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:17 PM   #28
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
Back in post 9 Scar said he didn't go into the "shady" part of town. I do. I'm very comfortable with the Q...
olsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:21 AM   #29

Scar .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsoul View Post
Back in post 9 Scar said he didn't go into the "shady" part of town. I do. I'm very comfortable with the Q...
Yes I did and I also said I would feel well armed with either the Glock 19 or PPQ.

Fact is, I don't live in an area which has a ghetto or large "shady" part of town. Those few small shady areas around here are places I just have no need to frequent so I don't go there.

If there was a circumstance I needed to visit that area I would strap on my Q or G19 and just go. I have no reason to be afraid of those areas, just no reason to be there.
Scar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:38 AM   #30

Scar .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
I don't understand why someone would put any rounds through another polymer pistol that fills the same role, when a pistol with similar enough weight, durability, reliability, and accuracy was already available and already in my possession.

My question to the OP is, if you don't shoot it better, why do you? What is the appeal to the Walther for you? The Glock is cheaper, the mags and parts are cheaper and easier to find, there are more sights and holsters available for it, you shot it better, and you owned it already before choosing to purchase a Walther. Why on Earth wouldn't you just get rid of the Walther at this point?
Well, the OP did not say he had actually bought a PPQ, nor did he mention shooting it. He simply identified himself as new to the forum, remarked on his Glock and asked a couple of questions.

He also doesn't own anyone an explanation or justification about how he spends his own money or what guns he buys.

Of the gun owners I know who shoot a lot, most own multiple handguns and most often in several different brands and models. The shooting forums are full of such people as well.

Personally, I own polymer framed striker fired handguns from Glock, Walther, H&K, Sig, FN, Kahr and Smith & Wesson along with a bunch of metal framed ones. Why? Because I like handguns, I like shooting, I enjoy shooting different ones and I can afford them. As long as it's legal, what I own is the business of no other person.

I also enjoy shooting my polymer framed Walther Q5 Match as much as my Kimber Gold Combat Stainless 1911, which last time I looked is a $1,800 handgun. I don't hold my polymer guns in any less regard than my metal ones. In fact for pure range fun the Q5 is my favorite handgun. It's all very personal, as it should be.

It is usually a bad idea when a person tries to shoehorn the decision or choice of another shooter into their own square box of choices or reasoning. We are all different and thankfully have many choices in excellent handguns to fill a variety of needs or just plain wants.

OP, welcome to the forum and good luck with whatever decision you make.

Last edited by Scar; 02-27-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Scar is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther General Discussions

Search tags for this page

walther or glock

Click on a term to search for related topics.