Why Doesn't Walther Re-introduce The P 38 - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther General Discussions

Like Tree121Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2018, 01:09 PM   #11

Kar98 .22
Yeah, DUA hoggin' all the P5's is why I decided to finally get me that Sig/Mauser M2 I always wanted. Stole it, too! Came to $275 after fees and shipping (sales price was $200). Even rarer than those P5's everybody can just get! Mine is #6592 out of around 10,000!
Kar98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-23-2018, 12:21 AM   #12

halfmoonclip .22
For the OP, handle and shoot a P5; you will quickly forget about the P38.
If you just have to have a P38, they can be had; do some research on just what you want.
The alloy framed P1s are another good alternative; get the later, thicker slide version with the steel reinforcing pin.
Do not hold your breath for anything all steel coming from Walther, especially the old P38.
Kar', tell me more about your M2.
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:49 AM   #13

Kar98 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Kar', tell me more about your M2.
Moon
Happy to oblige, just too lazy to copy and paste it all over:

https://imgur.com/gallery/G3gntJu

Old 10-27-2018, 01:45 AM   #14

Redcat94 .22
I definitely need to read a range report on that M2 !
Old 10-27-2018, 08:59 PM   #15

Kar98 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcat94 View Post
I definitely need to read a range report on that M2 !
https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/...ml#post1157778
Old 11-07-2018, 07:21 AM   #16

JayBird .22
How Does P38 Design Differ From Arms Currently Offered

I candidly confess my ignorance as to firearm construction. Exactly what is a "dropping lock block firearm (fires from a locked breech) with fully supported/non tilting barrel"? Does Walther offer such constructed firearm for sale? If not, what manufacturer offers this type of construction? I am assuming that this type of construction is superior to that otherwise offered; yet I have read comments that the P38 is not as accurate as, e.g., the PPQ. What construction type is used in the PPQ -- and for that matter the H&K VP9 -- and what are the advantages/disadvantages between the different styles. I just completed a course offered by AZTEC Larry Vickers (which, incidentally, was fantastic worth every penny of tuition paid) during which I understood him as implying that the 1911 handgun design may be more accurate than the Glocks. Is this true; and if so, why. Incidentally, I am also assuming that the Walther, H&K, Steyr and other polymer guns are copies of the Glocks. Finally, how (if any) is the CZ75-SP01 design different from the 1911s, P38s, and PPQs? I look forward to an education from those more experienced than I.
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:10 AM   #17

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Locked Breech/Tilting Barrel definition......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locked_breech

Walther (supported muzzle end) barrel vs Beretta (non-supported muzzle end) barrel, it pokes thru the slide with approx 1/32" clearance.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03481 (2).jpg (39.5 KB, 17 views)
DeutschlandUberAlles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #18

matquig .22
The design of the P-38 is copied in the Beretta 92 series, but the Beretta barrel is a bit simplified, and thus less expensive to make. Even with that exception, the P38 could be made and marketed for $700-$800, given the real world sale prices for the Berettas, which can be had new for $600 or so. I just think that in a market that has had them available for the last 80 years, there may not be THAT many potential buyers to excite the market.
matquig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:08 AM   #19

MoonWolf .22
The CZ 75 series differs from the 1911 in that the frame rails enclose the slide rails and most of the CZ 75 pistols are DA/SA, where the 1911 is single action.

The CZ and 1911 use a Browning type lock breach. The rear of the barrel drops down to unlock the barrel and slide. The P38 uses a dropping block action which allows the barrel to move straight back in recoil.

1911 animation:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...D&&FORM=VRDGAR

P38 animation:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...1&&FORM=VRDGAR
Old 11-18-2018, 12:51 AM   #20

MMA10mm .22
The cost issue is really the same as any German manufacturer (Sig, HK, Walther); labor cost and precision. The Germans produce high quality stuff, in part, because they pay their skilled workers really high wages, which makes sense, since they are very well trained and have high standards. The precision part also has to do with costs, since the tooling is sharpened/replaced more often, there is more gauging/QC, and more tightly-speced raw materials. All of this drives costs.

The advent of plastics have driven those costs down, and to be honest, Glock gets the credit for that. Others made striker-fired before and others made plastic firearms before, but Glock combined them along with other cost-savings measures... Simple economics discourages companies from going back towards more expensive technology. It would be hard to sell to people other than us and reenactors...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther General Discussions